Gear Suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I went to the Cenla Sport Shooters match a few weeks ago in Leesville to watch, and decided to try the USPSA Steel Challenge style match this Saturday.

I know basically nothing about the gear used - but I was able to borrow some gear for this coming match, a Blade tech holster and mag pouches, CR Speed belt.

Other than watching product videos touting their own merits, what are some decent entry level gear that won't break the bank - I guess my category will be production or Limited, according to what I have on hand to shoot ( stock 1911, G17 w/magwell).

This won't turn into a shoot-a-match every weekend (did that with CAS), but just a time to have some fun.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Steel challenge is a great way to step into the competitive shooting scene without going all out on gear. You are allowed to put your mags on the barrel/table so you can get by with a just a belt, holster, and mags. Most people run a inner/outer belt. CR Speed is a good budget starting point. I've also heard people like the black scorpion brand sold on amazon. I personally run Double alpha belt, mag pouches, and holster.

If you're going to shoot your 1911 you would shoot single stack division. Keep in mind you will want at least 5 mags since you will be limited in ammo per mag, and need 5 rounds per string (if you don't miss). If you're shooting your G17 you would be in limited with the magwell. You could shoot production if you removed the magwell and limited your ammo to 10 rounds.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I haven't completely put it to the test but after using a Blackhawk Serpa and a double mag holder I bought a Double Alpha drop holster and a cheap inner/outer belt 5 mag holder combo from Ebay for about $60 dollars. I figure I will try it out and see how it holds up and if I get more into it I will shell out for the higher dollar stuff.

I ran a practice match and the belt and holders did fine but it was not a match. My aim was way off and was also slow but probably due to the new holster and pistol at the time.

Top Bottom