Slidell Gun Show the Best

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    The Slidell Gun and Knife Show is
    THIS WEEKEND !

at the Harbor Center, Slidell, Louisiana
    I-10, exit 261

Sat. Feb 8: 9 am - 5:00 pm
    Sun. Feb 9: 10 am - 4:30 pm

DON’T MISS IT!

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    the Slidell show is a good one if you are looking for gun parts. This is the only show one vendor does and he has lots of parts for many different pistols and rifles. I will be there as usual even if I don't buy anything, $10 to get in the door I am walk around and talk and look. I usually spend about 4 hours or more, a low cost per hour for spending my time.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Went a few years back.

Saw lots of Chinesium AR-15's, Optics, and Knives. Also saw a few tables with pistols for sale at MSRP and MAP prices.

Best thing there was the one guy selling random parts. Found an A2 receiver extension cheap.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Slidell was a great gun show 40+ years ago when guns were more popular than cotton candy and trinkets.
    Back then New Orleans, Slidell, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport and Monroe had good gun shows and many vendors.
    If my memory serves me right they also had one in Hammond and I do not remember how long the Gonzales show has been around.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    "Chinesium AR-15s, optics, and knives," or "spaghetti sauce and candles." Think of it this way, those extra vendors pay for tables to help make the show possible, which gives more opportunity to the actual vendors YOU believe should be there. I'm willing to bet that the organizers sell those slots because they are not beating back throngs of gun dealers looking for a table. Back in the day, when you had way more "kitchen table" FFLs, of course the shows had fewer tables of extraneous, non-gun items. Different story these days, but thankfully we still have gun shows. We went to some big boat/RV show in Houma, and bought some AWESOME mayhaw jelly, but maybe no one should have been selling jellies at a boat/RV show to fill floor space. While my son was walking around the Mandeville gun show with me, and we passed a table where some guy was selling handmade wooden pens, he noticed my son's interest in one that had a deer head on it and he just gave my son the pen. I then bought one for myself. My son was thrilled...to get a pen...at a gun show. As a teenager, I had a cheap French Market butterfly knife long before I had one of better materials and workmanship, which I bought, by the way, at a gun show. I've made several firearm purchases at the Slidell gun show over the years, and I'll pass through there this Saturday, and I'll smile a little bit derisively when passing the table full of Frost Cutlery fantasy ninja swords, but some kid will be there grinning ear to ear while handing over $5 of his birthday money for that pocket knife with a cool looking skull on the handle, and that's fine with me. Also, if a "Chinesium AR-15" is what someone can afford, that's good, too. So sample the various jerkies or sugared nuts, maybe even buy your mother-in-law a horribly scented candle, then move on to what you like.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I was at the flea market and a gun show broke out. The sauce wasn’t too bad actually but the candles... not so good. I pay the admission and I have my opinion. I’m sure there is something for everyone at the shows now. If it brings more people in looking for non firearm items it’s a good way to introduce them to the other side of the show. But as for me I miss the old days of individuals with tables of guns wheeling and dealing. I can pay MSRP or MAP just about anywhere without a cover charge.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was at the flea market and a gun show broke out. The sauce wasn’t too bad actually but the candles... not so good. I pay the admission and I have my opinion. I’m sure there is something for everyone at the shows now. If it brings more people in looking for non firearm items it’s a good way to introduce them to the other side of the show. But as for me I miss the old days of individuals with tables of guns wheeling and dealing. I can pay MSRP or MAP just about anywhere without a cover charge.

A lot of that has to do with greedy promoters. I remember people getting tables just to sell five to ten firearms, because it was affordable and you could bring your own small folding table. Now you need to have a full time retail business to be able to make it worth while. I haven't even seen many people walking around with signs like they used to. I'd bet that was outlawed as well.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    "Chinesium AR-15s, optics, and knives," or "spaghetti sauce and candles." Think of it this way, those extra vendors pay for tables to help make the show possible, which gives more opportunity to the actual vendors YOU believe should be there. I'm willing to bet that the organizers sell those slots because they are not beating back throngs of gun dealers looking for a table. Back in the day, when you had way more "kitchen table" FFLs, of course the shows had fewer tables of extraneous, non-gun items. Different story these days, but thankfully we still have gun shows. We went to some big boat/RV show in Houma, and bought some AWESOME mayhaw jelly, but maybe no one should have been selling jellies at a boat/RV show to fill floor space. While my son was walking around the Mandeville gun show with me, and we passed a table where some guy was selling handmade wooden pens, he noticed my son's interest in one that had a deer head on it and he just gave my son the pen. I then bought one for myself. My son was thrilled...to get a pen...at a gun show. As a teenager, I had a cheap French Market butterfly knife long before I had one of better materials and workmanship, which I bought, by the way, at a gun show. I've made several firearm purchases at the Slidell gun show over the years, and I'll pass through there this Saturday, and I'll smile a little bit derisively when passing the table full of Frost Cutlery fantasy ninja swords, but some kid will be there grinning ear to ear while handing over $5 of his birthday money for that pocket knife with a cool looking skull on the handle, and that's fine with me. Also, if a "Chinesium AR-15" is what someone can afford, that's good, too. So sample the various jerkies or sugared nuts, maybe even buy your mother-in-law a horribly scented candle, then move on to what you like.

Although I may not like the way gun shows have gone, thank you for the different look on it.
    Something to think about.
    Much appreciated.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I'm 100% okay with all the other stuff. If I weren't, I wouldn't have paid to get in the place. It's just sad to see the lack of "kitchen table" FFL's as you call it. I've left gun shows with a bag full of non-gun related items.

As far as Chinesium AR-15's, they were in the $1500 price range, so that argument about what people can afford is rather silly.

Hell, there is a local "AR Manufacturer" pushing Chinesium AR's in the $1800 range. They were probably at that Mandeville show.

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I agree that years ago there were more dealers or individuals with guns for sale. Sadly changing rules made it hard for individuals to renew or keep their FFL. I remember some years ago there was one couple that had a table and would conduct a little "horse trading".
    From speaking with them, they were retired and it was a hobby and a way to meet and talk to people that enjoyed guns.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I went. Most stuff way overpriced. I will probably skip the next one.

agreed by a large margin.... I did find some mags for my Walther pistol I managed to get about 15 dollars cheaper than online.
    I was seeing 91/30 Mosin Nagant rifles priced in the 450-500 range. were they kind of high or is that what they are actually going for right now?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    There was entertainment in the parking lot of the Slidell Show, on Saturday just before it opened.

Some guy has to explain to his wife why she's getting a draft up her skirt going down the highway.

Nobody was hurt except a little white Jeep SUV thingie. It took one thru the passenger side floorboard.

Top Bottom