Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    We did major torqueing on the roughly 60 pound cap screws using anti seize on Large Steam Turbines.
    We inserted heat rods until they reached certain temp. verified by heat stick then tightened with a 2 1/2 inch two man air driven impact wrench then torqued to specs.
    Yep, that just further highlights the importance of following the torque spec. Thankfully, I've never encountered scope mounts that require lubricated threads or enough heat to need a heat stick.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wheeler FAT driver or Fix-it-sticks seem to be the way to go

User Info Menu

I think Cabelas sells them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I got my Wheeler FAT wrench on e-bay. Best price I could find.

User Info Menu

Harbor Freight sell a 1/4" torque wrench in inch-pounds, usually on sale for $10.00, buy a hex adapter and you're good to go.

Salt

User Info Menu

Inch pounds for optics. That's the small torque wrench. Ft lbs for barrel nuts etc, those are the big ones. Mechanical torque wrenches work just fine you don't need special gunsmith wrenches or digital wrenches.

On Target

User Info Menu

If you want something that is accurate and will hold its calibration I highly recommend you find an inch pound torque driver made by CDI. Snap on makes a good one too. You get what you pay for.
    War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses. - Thomas Jefferson

Determined mindset and bruteforce, can at times, possess an elegance all their own.

Training Ferrous Metal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sheltongrn View Post
    Harbor Freight sell a 1/4" torque wrench in inch-pounds, usually on sale for $10.00, buy a hex adapter and you're good to go.
    Harbor Freight has its place, precision measuring tools to be used on guns is not one of those places.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Harbor Freight has its place, precision measuring tools to be used on guns is not one of those places.
    Once told to me by a VERY famous gunsmith who I won't out here for obvious reasons. I asked him what brand he used because I was going to buy a torque wrench:

"I use a XYZ (well known and very expensive) brand. But only because people come in my shop and expect to see it. If it weren't for that, I would go buy a Harbor Freight or big box store one. Let's be honest about it, we are building guns... not the space shuttle."

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBgleason View Post
    Once told to me by a VERY famous gunsmith who I won't out here for obvious reasons. I asked him what brand he used because I was going to buy a torque wrench:

"I use a XYZ (well known and very expensive) brand. But only because people come in my shop and expect to see it. If it weren't for that, I would go buy a Harbor Freight or big box store one. Let's be honest about it, we are building guns... not the space shuttle."
    Some people build guns that rival the space shuttle.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You can use the gootentite method if you don't give a crap.