Gunsmithing torque wrench

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Howdy all,

Does anyone know a local place that sells gunsmithing specific torque wrenches?
    I have automotive torque wrenches but they’re a different animal.
    Looking to mount a scope mostly.

I’ve seen fixit sticks but am not certain if they’re worth the coin.

Any input appreciated.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Scopes you're looking for an inch lb., I've seen the wheeler FAT at academy it will get you through

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wheeler FAT Wrenches are good for the price.

If you want something more precise and you are familiar with automotive tools, just about every major tool manufacturer makes an inch/lbs torque wrench. You will also need a ft/lbs torque wrench in the 20-100 ft/lbs range if you plan on putting AR's together.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When I was still working I torqued everything in 3 sequences and the torque numbers would be slightly different if anti seize was used on the threads.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When I was still working I torqued everything in 3 sequences and the torque numbers would be slightly different if anti seize was used on the threads.

The torque spec should indicate wet or dry threads. Some specs require threads to be lubricated in order to achieve proper torque.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I use this for pretty much everything inch pound related:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Fix-It-St...429D3_ohgBAQs7D3ZdwQDAq6IWgZ_UIgaAoekEALw_wcB

It’s great because I use a plain old craftsman driver and it’s easy to just pop this inline and pop in whatever bit I need. I also occasionally use a quarter inch drive torque wrench because I have one.

The big stuff like seating barrels I use a craftsman dial in automotive torque wrench with 1/2 inch drive.

That being said, I bought a wheeler F.A.T. last year and have yet to use it. I think I just prefer the old craftsman drive in my hand.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The torque spec should indicate wet or dry threads. Some specs require threads to be lubricated in order to achieve proper torque.

We did major torqueing on the roughly 60 pound cap screws using anti seize on Large Steam Turbines.
    We inserted heat rods until they reached certain temp. verified by heat stick then tightened with a 2 1/2 inch two man air driven impact wrench then torqued to specs.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We did major torqueing on the roughly 60 pound cap screws using anti seize on Large Steam Turbines.
    We inserted heat rods until they reached certain temp. verified by heat stick then tightened with a 2 1/2 inch two man air driven impact wrench then torqued to specs.

Yep, that just further highlights the importance of following the torque spec. Thankfully, I've never encountered scope mounts that require lubricated threads or enough heat to need a heat stick. :eek3:

sheltongrn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2017
    Luling, LA
    Harbor Freight sell a 1/4" torque wrench in inch-pounds, usually on sale for $10.00, buy a hex adapter and you're good to go.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Inch pounds for optics. That's the small torque wrench. Ft lbs for barrel nuts etc, those are the big ones. Mechanical torque wrenches work just fine you don't need special gunsmith wrenches or digital wrenches.
    thumbnail.jpg

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    If you want something that is accurate and will hold its calibration I highly recommend you find an inch pound torque driver made by CDI. Snap on makes a good one too. You get what you pay for.

JBgleason

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    NorthShore
    Harbor Freight has its place, precision measuring tools to be used on guns is not one of those places.

Once told to me by a VERY famous gunsmith who I won't out here for obvious reasons. I asked him what brand he used because I was going to buy a torque wrench:

"I use a XYZ (well known and very expensive) brand. But only because people come in my shop and expect to see it. If it weren't for that, I would go buy a Harbor Freight or big box store one. Let's be honest about it, we are building guns... not the space shuttle."

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Once told to me by a VERY famous gunsmith who I won't out here for obvious reasons. I asked him what brand he used because I was going to buy a torque wrench:

"I use a XYZ (well known and very expensive) brand. But only because people come in my shop and expect to see it. If it weren't for that, I would go buy a Harbor Freight or big box store one. Let's be honest about it, we are building guns... not the space shuttle."

Some people build guns that rival the space shuttle.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You can use the gootentite method if you don't give a crap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom