Has Anyone Tried This With a Thermal Camera/Scope?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have a FLIR Thermal Camera / Scope affixed to a 300 blackout. Doing some research on dialing in this thing, I see some different ways to do it. Most include activating hand warmers and using those as your bullseye at your preferred distance. I can do this if that is the best way, but if you use a standard hand warmer, and then folded it in half like even FLIR recommends, that is still a large bullseye.

What about taking your target backing, and cutting out a circle that is more a standard size 10-ring, and taping the hand warmer behind the backing? Then also, has anyone tried an activated light stick stuck through a target backing? That is an even smaller 10 ring.

I don't want to just have "close" groups, I want tight groups that touch the 10 ring.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I think I have heard of people painting black dots on white paper, and the black will show more heat then the white... not 100%sure though, maybe give it a try

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Couldn't you put a dense object in front of the hand warmer so it shows as colder than the background? maybe a small metal disc that you can shoot at?

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Handwarmer on a standard paper target. Aim for the heat and send some rounds. You will see your pattern on the paper behind the handwarmer.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom