Opinion for AR caliber .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My son is wanting to buy a new AR for killing hogs on their lease . He is looking at either .308 or .300 Blackout . Possibly going the suppressed route in the future . Any advantage to either ?

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    For starters, the .308 will be an AR-10 platform while the Blackout will be an AR-15.

For nocturnal work, I use an AR-15 known as Nightstalker. 300 Blackout, suppressed, subsonic, with a thermal sight. I can squeeze rounds off out of the master bathroom window without waking up the wife. I have reduced beavers in the pond without disturbing the deer nibbling on the grass nearby! The free fire zone goes out to 150 yards, with subsonic rounds range estimation and hold over/under are vital.

For a .308, my personal opinion is unless you can go subsonic why go suppressed? It will quiet it down some, but it won't be silent. OTOH, if an insurgent beaver shown up before dark, I grab the SCAR 17 with the ACOG. I reduced two weekend before last, and one last weekend.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    For starters, the .308 will be an AR-10 platform while the Blackout will be an AR-15.

For nocturnal work, I use an AR-15 known as Nightstalker. 300 Blackout, suppressed, subsonic, with a thermal sight. I can squeeze rounds off out of the master bathroom window without waking up the wife. I have reduced beavers in the pond without disturbing the deer nibbling on the grass nearby! The free fire zone goes out to 150 yards, with subsonic rounds range estimation and hold over/under are vital.

For a .308, my personal opinion is unless you can go subsonic why go suppressed? It will quiet it down some, but it won't be silent. OTOH, if an insurgent beaver shown up before dark, I grab the SCAR 17 with the ACOG. I reduced two weekend before last, and one last weekend.

What powder you use to make the 308 ,150 grain subsonic
    Or you use a larger grain projectiles?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You can kill hogs all day with 5.56, but if he wants an AR-15 platform and quiet, .300BLK is the way to go. He can still shoot supers suppressed.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    What powder you use to make the 308 ,150 grain subsonic
    Or you use a larger grain projectiles?

I have no idea what he's trying to use, and I don't want to. He's one of those fools that knows more than the reloading manuals. A couple of months back he blew the suppressor off the rifle.

I've been reloading for 49 years and I'm still learning. He's been doing it for 5-6 years and knows everything, just ask him, he'll tell you.

Add: He turned the op rod on his match M1A into a pretzel trying to shoot 220 boolits with slow powder. It was subsonic, once!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    He is looking at either .308 or .300 Blackout . Possibly going the suppressed route in the future . Any advantage to either ?

Just to entertain the idea of .308, if he chooses to go that route, he will be better off purchasing a quality complete rifle from a company like SOLGW.

It will never be as quiet as .300 BLK in an AR platform, but you can suppress .308 supers if he really wanted to. Running .308 subs in an AR-10 platform is going to become a science experiment and most likely will never run efficiently or reliably. At that point, you may as well be running a bolt gun.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My son is wanting to buy a new AR for killing hogs on their lease . He is looking at either .308 or .300 Blackout . Possibly going the suppressed route in the future . Any advantage to either ?

Neighbor is doing the Grendel thing and may go lay down a few this weekend. Thinking I may ride along for the meat.

The 308 is easy enough to suppress with the right recipe....and an adjustable gas block.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If it was me and the hogs were within the range of the 300BO subsonic I would go that route so I could be sneaky and would have more time to lay them out without them scattering.

If you are longer ranges and want some oomph then 308.

Or you could use the hog slaying 6.8mmSPC........

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    What's your budget? Good suppressors aren't cheap and the wait time is lengthy. I have and shoot 300 BO AR15, 5.56 AR15, 6.8 SPC AR15, and 308 AR10. All are great rounds and rifles. The ammo for 5.56 and 308 is cheaper and the variety of ammo is better. The 6.8 SPC is a wonderful hunting round but can be pricey...relative to the 5.56 and 308. I love the 300 BO and shoot is suppressed. The new 300 BO expanding-subsonic Hornady rounds are great but they aren't cheap
    ...relative to the 5.56 and 308. If you reload then cost is less of a consideration. Good luck!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If it was me and the hogs were within the range of the 300BO subsonic I would go that route so I could be sneaky and would have more time to lay them out without them scattering.

If you are longer ranges and want some oomph then 308.

Or you could use the hog slaying 6.8mmSPC........

Where in Louisiana are hogs going to be out of subsonic 300BO range? Sure it has the trajectory of 45acp, but who cares, not like you are going to be taking long shots at hogs around here.

For your purposes I would add a 300BO to the arsenal. Supers are great, Subs sound great suppressed (even with crappy cans). AR's are so cheap right now build out 2 calibers.

I am looking at a Grendal or .308... I am torn. The Grendal was designed for a long barrel, and I am not sure I want to half ass it and get an 18" barrel or do it right with a 24" barrel, .308 I feel fine with a 16" barrel.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I like my Grendel, it shoots soft as a .223 or .300, but on paper has power of 308. I connected with a big boar last weekend but unfortunately my shot placement sucked and he ran into a swamp. Mine is a 20", I've seen guys on Grendel groups happy with 12.5" barrels.

My buddy runs a 458 Socom, it's flattened two big boars and an 8pt in the last 2 months

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I like my Grendel, it shoots soft as a .223 or .300, but on paper has power of 308. I connected with a big boar last weekend but unfortunately my shot placement sucked and he ran into a swamp. Mine is a 20", I've seen guys on Grendel groups happy with 12.5" barrels.

My buddy runs a 458 Socom, it's flattened two big boars and an 8pt in the last 2 months

I might try a cheaper Grendal before I shell out for a Larue UU kit.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I might try a cheaper Grendal before I shell out for a Larue UU kit.

Mine is a Bear Creek, it shot 2-3 inches with Hornady ELD-Match which is weird, but found a handload that shot .5 for the price it's not bad at all. Just wish I'd made a better shot on that pig, I wanted to see what damage it did.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Everyone says 6.8SPC is expensvie sure if you buy from Academy they really take the screws to you for 6.8 ammo. If you buy online you can find deals for 6.8SPC already loaded. If you reload then it gets even cheaper like any other ammo does. If you don't reload save your brass and when you have some saved head over to 68forums and setup an account and you can sell your brass quickly and easily to recoup 20 to 30 cents per round which takes it to around 60 t0 70 cents per load.

Having recently purchased a 300BO barrel and while getting parts I picked up some ammo and let me tell you it isn't cheap either for good sub rounds I think the cheapest I got was maybe a little less than a dollar a round locally.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    .300 subs are basically the same pill at the same speed as .308 subs. Running .300 suppressed will net the same results for less worry and money.

For primarily hogs and considering running subsonic and super, unless you can spit them out and maybe even custom load I’d go with the .300. I have .308 rifles that I could run subs through and suppress but it’s not cost effective to basically hurl the same pill at the same speed for more money and more trouble. .308 subs are not nearly as available as .300 BLK/AAC and definitely not in as many flavors. I believe they are 190-220gr around 1000fps. I load my own, 168gr ballistic tip in super and sub and do just fine but I also keep a buttload of commercial ammo of a few choices. The only pro the .308 offers outside those parameters is the fact that the standard loads far outclass the .300, so if I weren’t concerned with running subs with a can, I’d go .308.

Last edited:

Keith2

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Covington - Northshore
    300 Blackout is the tool for that job.
    Designed for short barrel and suppressed.
    Subsonic rounds are now available everywhere and it will become one of your favorite guns to shoot.
    Enjoy....

pwc001

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    First off, we don’t have enough information. What kind of hunting is he planning on doing?

Stand, stalk?
    Day or night?
    Ranges?

Those saying only go 300 BO if going suppressed don’t use suppressors much. My current setup is a custom 16” 308, SiCo Harvester suppressor, and Flir Thermal. Good for reliable kills at over 250 yards in complete darkness. But I would not want to lug it in thick brush all night long. I setup where they are coming and wait.

I have killed them with 300 BO, and 5.56 easily both suppressed. I wouldn’t worry about subsonic hunting unless absolutely needed for neighbors, ect.

If you want light and fast go AR-15 in 5.56 or 300BO, if you want a heavy hitter at distance, go 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom