SBR Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Call me progressive but I like to let my guns transition if they want. Maybe they are non-binary.:mamoru:

But seriously I don’t see any benefit.

Then don’t worry about it, really. It’s just a little added security that could potentially keep an owner out of trouble, perhaps offering a little light in the grey area and maybe even ward off overly inquisitive people who may otherwise try to be good citizens and involve themselves to the point of making trouble. If the question were to ever come up about whether or not the receiver started it’s firearm life out as a pistol, being labeled as such just gives one another leg to stand on. If you can tell me a better reason to not I’ll listen, but mine will still say pistol on the lower. Because it’s the ATF I have to worry about, not what anyone else thinks.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Then don’t worry about it, really. It’s just a little added security that could potentially keep an owner out of trouble, perhaps offering a little light in the grey area and maybe even ward off overly inquisitive people who may otherwise try to be good citizens and involve themselves to the point of making trouble. If the question were to ever come up about whether or not the receiver started it’s firearm life out as a pistol, being labeled as such just gives one another leg to stand on. If you can tell me a better reason to not I’ll listen, but mine will still say pistol on the lower. Because it’s the ATF I have to worry about, not what anyone else thinks.

Fair enough.
    Do what works for you.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

You said it SHOULD be necessary.

Thankfully it's not. For someone who touts themselves as Pro 2A, it's ironic that you think you should feed the government more information than is required by law.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

White devils advocate here. What if my pistol transitions into a rifle and it says pistol on the receiver and some ‘good citizen’ causes trouble because of the mismatch? If it gives you some sort of comfort level that’s cool. Since I’m the original owner of my lower, it’s province is what I say it is even if I’m a lier. We are still citizens and are innocent until proven guilty.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    To answer the OP's question:

If you intend to configure your pistol in any way OTHER than a pistol, you will need a tax stamp prior to the modification.

If you are unsure about what changes will cause it to become something else other than a pistol, STOP. Call the ATF and ask them, or ask an attorney that is knowledgeable in firearms.
    I like my butt hole too much to endanger it with internet advice on firearm legalities.

There is no license for an SBR. You simply pay a tax, file a form, and submit to a background check. Once you receive your Tax Stamp, you can THEN modify your pistol to become a NFA item. That tax stamp is good for that item only, and a new tax stamp must be obtained for additional items you wish to modify.

Note: There are a few exceptions to this. The Artillery model Luger, comes to mind. Certain antique pistols that were originally configured with a stock, and are specifically listed by the BATFE, can have a stock affixed with no tax stamp required.

To nit pick semantics here in the discussion following the OP.

We list lower receivers as a 'receiver' on the 4473, and in our A&D books.

The instructions for Question 27 list pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame and other firearms that are neither handguns, nor long guns. Such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell, or NFA firearms.

So, While there is a category for 'other' , a receiver does not fit into that category unless it is NFA. (For instance a receiver for an M-16)

We generally list the caliber on an AR-15 receiver as 'Multi', enabling the purchaser to decide what caliber it will end up as.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    As long as braces are legal I see no reason to SBR something. That opens up the door for all types of SBR requirements when traveling and what not.

There ARE valid reasons.

Say you want a vertical fore grip on it. As a pistol you'd have to register it as an AOW. As a rifle, there are no restrictions.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    White devils advocate here. What if my pistol transitions into a rifle and it says pistol on the receiver and some ‘good citizen’ causes trouble because of the mismatch? If it gives you some sort of comfort level that’s cool. Since I’m the original owner of my lower, it’s province is what I say it is even if I’m a lier. We are still citizens and are innocent until proven guilty.
    Originally built or sold as a pistol is legal to go to rifle and back again. If it was first built or sold as a rifle then you can’t legally make it a pistol receiver. But seriously, no need to explain to me what you do. The law indeed says we are innocent til proven guilty, but I haven’t seen that fact stand in the way of much in my lifetime. Maybe this world is a different place for you. And it’s Liar.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Originally built or sold as a pistol is legal to go to rifle and back again. If it was first built or sold as a rifle then you can’t legally make it a pistol receiver. But seriously, no need to explain to me what you do. The law indeed says we are innocent til proven guilty, but I haven’t seen that fact stand in the way of much in my lifetime. Maybe this world is a different place for you. And it’s Liar.

I don’t think we disagree on anything concerning this topic other than the value of engraving PISTOL into the side of a lower receiver.

spt_1955

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2015
    Boston, MA
    At what point is a SBR license required for an AR pistol?

Disclaimer : I AM NOT A LAWYER

I assume you are talking about the Federal Tax Stamp when you say "SBR License"? When you want to remove the brace or buffer and put a rifle stock on it you will need to register it as an SBR using a Form 1 BEFORE you change it.

Additionally if you add a vertical foregrip to the pistol and the overall length of the pistol is under 26 inches then you have to register it as an SBR (again BEFORE you add the grip).

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    At what point is a SBR license required for an AR pistol?

If you put a vertical fore-grip on a AR pistol if it's 26 inches or less (un/pinned muzzle to extension, or in the case of folding braces at the shortest folding point), it becomes an AOW. If it's over 26" and is not concealed on one's person, it's still a Pistol/Firearm. Angled fore-grips are not considered to render a pistol an AOW if it's sub 26" or concealed on the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom