general concenseus of paypal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    What do you guys generally think of pay-pal on here? I.E.... You see a gun in the classifieds you want to pick up. Would pay-pal generally be frowned upon or welcomed? I personally would welcome it, because it is instant money you can transfer to your checking account, its track-able, etc...

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Personally, I give them as little of my money as I possibly can. Unfortunately can’t always but when I can avoid it I do.. They are anti gun and anti 2A and very blatant about it. Enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Very easy to use and track because of everything you said, but they are anti gun. Whenever I sell things on eBay and use it, I buy all gun stuff with the money

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I wasn't aware of the anti-2a deal. hmmm.... Think I'll do some reading on it.

edit: wow... I didn't realize they even put it in the Help/FAQ section on the site. jeez....

Last edited:

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I wish basspro would drop them. You can buy gear but no firearms using PayPal. Basspro should take a stand and drop them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I vote with my feet a lot of places. Some for differences in supported values (I.e., Panera’s, Dick’s, etc.). Others because I don’t fit the dress code required. Pretty sure you need a man bun and Birkenstock’s to get into Whole Foods for instance.

Then again... could be just cause I am old. Get off my lawn.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have used Paypal for over a decade. I still use it.

Unfortunately, if you avoid every anti-gun business, you will be alone. It’s inevitable you will encounter some form of business that doesn’t agree with your political views.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I have used Paypal for over a decade. I still use it.

Unfortunately, if you avoid every anti-gun business, you will be alone. It’s inevitable you will encounter some form of business that doesn’t agree with your political views.
    I'm doing my best to avoid all anti gun businesses. I'm ok with being alone. But I'm not alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I use PayPal almost daily for selling high value ($3k+) items. It's fast and easy but there is a risk. Any transaction can be disputed or reversed up to 180 days later. Yes, even the "friends and family" transactions can be reversed if the buyer issue a chargeback to their credit card.

I personally would not use PayPal for a firearms transaction. First of all, it's against the terms of service. So if there is a dispute or chargeback and everyone is honest and admits it was a firearm you will lose as the seller. Months later the buyer can simply file a chargeback claiming "not as described" and the money will be clawed back out of your checking account maybe at the worst possible time.

With that said, I've been using PayPal for 20 years - averaging $50k or so a year in PayPal sales - dealing with complete strangers around the world - and have only had a handful of disputes and have only lost one or two or those worth maybe $20 each. I've done deals up to $10k on PayPal with no problem.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    IIRC they are owned by eBay, and are anti-gun. If you pay funds as a gift (to avoid the 3% fee), you have may have no recourse if you're scammed. I don't know if you're covered stating it is a purchase if the purchase is a firearm.

As a (non-firearm) seller, I like it for instant payment. It's safer than a check, and faster than a postal money order.

As a buyer, I'd just provide my credit card number, which leave you with some dispute protection with most cards. If the seller can't take a credit card, I mail a postal money order, which also provides some protection as a scammer is liable for mail fraud, which is a federal charge, and in many states is a felony.

In-person cash/item transaction is always best.

Last edited:

Dboymboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Harvey LA
    Direct from paypal site.
    eb68ac18a9936b6502b88eecb99ddbe6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    IIRC they are owned by eBay, and are anti-gun. If you pay funds as a gift (to avoid the 3% fee), you have may have no recourse if you're scammed. I don't know if you're covered stating it is a purchase if the purchase is a firearm.

As a (non-firearm) seller, I like it for instant payment. It's safer than a check, and faster than a postal money order.

As a buyer, I'd just provide my credit card number, which leave you with some dispute protection with most cards. If the seller can't take a credit card, I mail a postal money order, which also provides some protection as a scammer is liable for mail fraud, which is a federal charge, and in many states is a felony.

In-person cash/item transaction is always best.

Paypal was owned by eBay. As of late 2014 / early 2015 they have become their own company.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I’ve used PayPal on at least one occasion to partially fund (balance in cash) a purchase from another member. The seller welcomed it.

PayPal offers a MasterCard debit card (says business debit on it) that I use. There is no fee and I get % cash back in my PayPal account for purchases when I swipe the card. My eBay sales are what find my future guns/accessories for the most part so it’s nice to have the MasterCard logo for use anywhere on anything and not rely just on places that accept PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Venmo is nice because the $ sender cannot just dispute the transaction and get their $ back, so it protects the $ receiver a bit more than Paypal. I don't know their stance on firearms.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Personally, I give them as little of my money as I possibly can. Unfortunately can’t always but when I can avoid it I do.. They are anti gun and anti 2A and very blatant about it. Enough for me.

Same here. I use them to send money to someone securely rather than as a purchasing tool and not very often. Only to private parties and I always send as a gift.
    I’m aware of their anti gun policies so I never use it for shopping period, but it’s easier than trying to wire money or sending a money order, so if a private party I’m buying from asks for PayPal I go ahead.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Haven’t used them by choice in a decade and am not buying or selling anything where alternatives don’t exist. I guess it depends on your principles and how strongly you believe in them. If they can be that adamant about their principles, why should I be less so.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Closed my paypal account years ago.
    I sold an item to a buyer on ebay, the buyer scammed me and paypal did not refund my money.
    It was a massive hassle and in the end I lost over $500.
    Never again.

Top Bottom