Does anyone have experience with Odin Works barrels AR platform??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    I build custom AR platform firearms. I purchased a kit from one of my distributors that had a 16" Odin Works 6.5 Grendel barrel, along with a BCG and "tunable gas block". Pretty straight forward, I've built a lot of these exact same caliber firearms. This barrel has a proprietary extended gas system on it, so the gas tube is specific to this barrel.
    Anyway, first time I shot it would not cycle. I forgot about the gas block and I figured, well I just need to open it up all the way. So brought it in, opened it up all the way, and took it back to the range on my next trip. Still would not cycle. I videoed it, and it looked like the bolt was not properly extracting the round. I slowed the video down and could see the bolt moving backwards without the casing in it. So I thought, bad extractor. I'll just throw another bolt in and that should fix it. But that did not fix it. I did head space the Odin bolt with the Odin barrel, and it was fine.
    I'm not really wanting to beat myself up over to figure it out because it's brand new. Everything is 100% correct, I know that. So, I started reading some info about Odin Works and their 6.5 Grendel barrels, and that may have been something I should have done prior to the purchase. It seems they have had a lot if issues with their chambering in this specific caliber.

Has anyone else dealt with these barrels and this issue?

Yetimaltz

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Metairie
    I built and tuned the same exact kit you are referring to in this post.

I had similar issues that you are describing and didn’t like the set screw style adjustment on the stainless steel gas block.

I ended up upgrading to the higher end adjustable gas block with the audible clicks and didn’t have any issues after.

text me if you want to discuss further and I would be more than happy to assist.

eddie

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In my general experience with Odin Works, quality is hit or miss. I've not yet dealt with any 6.5 Grendel AR's or complete rifles/uppers from Odin Works, only parts.

I would verify gas block alignment at a minimum. Proprietary parts and proprietary gas lengths don't provide a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Can you manually cycle the bolt with the charging handle and extract the case?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I build custom AR platform firearms. I purchased a kit from one of my distributors that had a 16" Odin Works 6.5 Grendel barrel, along with a BCG and "tunable gas block". Pretty straight forward, I've built a lot of these exact same caliber firearms. This barrel has a proprietary extended gas system on it, so the gas tube is specific to this barrel.
    Anyway, first time I shot it would not cycle. I forgot about the gas block and I figured, well I just need to open it up all the way. So brought it in, opened it up all the way, and took it back to the range on my next trip. Still would not cycle. I videoed it, and it looked like the bolt was not properly extracting the round. I slowed the video down and could see the bolt moving backwards without the casing in it. So I thought, bad extractor. I'll just throw another bolt in and that should fix it. But that did not fix it. I did head space the Odin bolt with the Odin barrel, and it was fine.
    I'm not really wanting to beat myself up over to figure it out because it's brand new. Everything is 100% correct, I know that. So, I started reading some info about Odin Works and their 6.5 Grendel barrels, and that may have been something I should have done prior to the purchase. It seems they have had a lot if issues with their chambering in this specific caliber.

Has anyone else dealt with these barrels and this issue?

Also check with them about the size of the gas port on the barrel. Have had issues with other manufacturers and it wound up being the gas port was under/over sized. Most barrels are mass produced and errors are made with the port diameters.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    yep

Also check with them about the size of the gas port on the barrel. Have had issues with other manufacturers and it wound up being the gas port was under/over sized. Most barrels are mass produced and errors are made with the port diameters.

It actually looks to be pretty over gassed!

Top Bottom