A bit off topic about the classifieds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I somewhat disagree. The market seems good for double stack pistols, 30 round rifles, etc, but soft for bolt actions, pump actions, single stacks, revolvers, etc. Basically, the market seems strong already for those things people would be concerned about losing access to, but soft for those things people normally wouldn’t see as under threat.

You must net look at the classifieds where double stack pistols are sluggish also.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You must net look at the classifieds where double stack pistols are sluggish also.

I dunno, I really don’t look much outside of glocks, because I like good pistols, but it seems like glocks priced under MAP don’t last long. The market for M&P has always been pretty mediocre.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I dunno, I really don’t look much outside of glocks, because I like good pistols, but it seems like glocks priced under MAP don’t last long. The market for M&P has always been pretty mediocre.

At least 3 NIB Glocks listed below MAP in the classifieds now.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    anyone who is not willing to figure out reasonably accurate pricing is not worth dealing with. Usually their low post count and low trader feedback indicates their lack of experience in these matters.

If I want the item I make an offer. If the seller likes my offer that is great, if not that is fine too. If I really want the item I will make it happen.

Plus some of the prices are trade values, and since everyone wants a good trade it is always good to go big on the trade value. Hard to go up, easy to go down.

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    Had it happen to me yesterday placed add WTB looking for a certain gun to save a few bucks-all I got was people offering for more than I can to to the store and buy- don't understand what's the thinking-unless they think I'm stupid or their stupid for over paying and want to pass their stupidity along - and this is not a one time thing-much more of this sort of thing on Sportsman- I JUST DON'T GET IT

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Free market. For me, it's buy, make a counter-offer or snicker and move on. And the market is dependent upon the customer. Many people here wouldn't pay $400 for a S&W Model 13 3". I'd pay much more than that because that's the unicorn I've been chasing since I lost mine in Katrina.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A person placing an ad to sell an item and asking more than current retail or more than one ever sold for new or any other ridiculous amount is one thing, but somebody stepping on the ad in the thread is worse. Thankfully that rarely happens here. I’m with the ‘on to the next item’ crowd. No need to get peeled if the price looks too high. When I get that Bass Pro paper in my box and look at those crazy prices I don’t get butt hurt...although I do use them for lighting the fireplace sometimes. If it’s something I want I might make an offer and may even send a link or two via PM as part of my pitch, but nothing more. Some folks truly don’t know the value of what they’re selling and some shoot high to allow for the joo factor (spelling), likely having faced a self proclaimed horse trader in the past. None of the high prices should offend anyone any more than lowball offers. It’s all part of the buy and sell or trade world we live in where pleasantries should be mandatory.
    While I’m on the subject, it has been brought to my attention that I’ve started threads in Hot Deals alerting members to items that just happen to also be for sale by a member. Just wanna go on record as saying I have no reason to divert anyone’s sale and have never done that to hinder anyone here. Just complete coincidence and law of averages. I post a lot of good deals when I see them so I’m sure I’m likely to post a $300 deal on someone’s $400 something once in a while. Sorry.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A person placing an ad to sell an item and asking more than current retail or more than one ever sold for new or any other ridiculous amount is one thing, but somebody stepping on the ad in the thread is worse. Thankfully that rarely happens here. I’m with the ‘on to the next item’ crowd. No need to get peeled if the price looks too high. When I get that Bass Pro paper in my box and look at those crazy prices I don’t get butt hurt...although I do use them for lighting the fireplace sometimes. If it’s something I want I might make an offer and may even send a link or two via PM as part of my pitch, but nothing more. Some folks truly don’t know the value of what they’re selling and some shoot high to allow for the joo factor (spelling), likely having faced a self proclaimed horse trader in the past. None of the high prices should offend anyone any more than lowball offers. It’s all part of the buy and sell or trade world we live in where pleasantries should be mandatory.

When you burn the ad, the ad is gone. But what if you burn the ad then someone comes by and hands you the same ad every day?

While I’m on the subject, it has been brought to my attention that I’ve started threads in Hot Deals alerting members to items that just happen to also be for sale by a member. Just wanna go on record as saying I have no reason to divert anyone’s sale and have never done that to hinder anyone here. Just complete coincidence and law of averages. I post a lot of good deals when I see them so I’m sure I’m likely to post a $300 deal on someone’s $400 something once in a while. Sorry.

If you find a hot deal, post the hot deal. It's not much different than two sellers listing the same or very similar items at different prices.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There's another aspect to this we need to consider.

Who is going to pay $600 for a new Glock? Yes, it will make the seller very happy. But who's crazy enough to do it? Only someone that can't buy a gun in a gun shop, someone who can't pass the background check. So the seller gets his $600, how does he feel when he learns the gun was used in a crime? Maybe someone gets shot in a robbery? Was it worth it? Just food for thought...

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I like to do research first, either as a buyer or a seller. To do otherwise seems to be a no-brainer. If I set a certain price I also like to explain where it comes from, for example: https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...Original-M84-Scope-fits-M1D-Garand&highlight=

Never had any pushback on my prices when selling, and try not to offend anyone when offering to buy, and as others have said I just move on if prices are wild.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sure, it won't make you upset but it's not unreasonable to say someone in that position would get tired of seeing the ad again and again.
    I feel like that’s a far stretch Perez. You mean like, someone looks at all the new post titles and then somehow becomes tired of seeing those titles? Or do you mean there are members here who click on those threads again and again and then get tired?
    I’m trying to find some validity to your point but I can’t. I realize we haven’t had the back and forth for a while but we should save it for something that makes any kind of sense, don’t you think?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I feel like that’s a far stretch Perez. You mean like, someone looks at all the new post titles and then somehow becomes tired of seeing those titles? Or do you mean there are members here who click on those threads again and again and then get tired?
    I’m trying to find some validity to your point but I can’t. I realize we haven’t had the back and forth for a while but we should save it for something that makes any kind of sense, don’t you think?

It's absolutely not a far stretch to say people get tired of seeing the same ads or the same overpriced items over and over in their new posts listings because they would like to see something new in the new posts results. Your validation is not needed for that to be true.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Whenever the rifle I am eyeing gets bumped I check the thread to see if there was a price drop. There are 5-6 guns I wouldn't mind picking up from the classifieds, but I think the prices are either too high or its not high enough on my priority list right now. Honestly, there are so many good deals on new guns right now that has been able to keep me occupied lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom