Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

A bit off topic about the classifieds

Around June of 2017, perhaps July, I sold a brand new S&W M&P 2.0 in the classifieds here.

I had $398 in the pistol, and sold it for $400 even. It sold quickly, as I think I priced it correctly.

I've sold other things on the classifieds here, and had a few not sell as well.

I always try to price my items fairly.

When I see a used pistol listed for $145 more than I can purchase it for, retail, brand new, it matters not to me how lightly, or gently, it was used.

When posting classified ads, please do a little research. Nobody cares how bad of a decision you made when you over paid for that gun you no longer want.
    You should expect to take a loss on a firearm that is modern production, if you bought it new and now it's used. I don't care if you brought it home, opened the box and only carried it once. It's a used gun.

I'll passive aggressively vent my frustrations here, in an obscure thread, in a very 'off topic' manner, instead of taking a dump in somebody's classified ad.

Thank you for listening. (reading)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

It's pretty easy to scroll past ads where folks have priced items beyond reason.

If the price is unreasonable, the seller will figure it out eventually. If they never budge, then they are not looking to move the item.

Quote Originally Posted by DBMJR1 View Post
    I'll passive aggressively vent my frustrations here, in an obscure thread, in a very 'off topic' manner, instead of taking a dump in somebody's classified ad.
    I do wish more people would do this or not vent at all, rather than stink up someone's advertisement.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Marksman

User Info Menu

Well said!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Very nice... Well put. It aggravates me to as well, as I've just paid off my "Gun and Car Money" credit card and I'm now looking for a new toy... Lol
    Last edited by KDerekT83; February 10th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Or you can look at it as they are just trying to see what the market will bear. Why get annoyed at it when you can simply make a more reasonable offer for it or just move on to the next ad? Also, a price you feel is unreasonable might be a bargain to someone who just likes the idea of saving $20 in taxes or FFL fees. It's all relative.

If it's something I am interested in, I usually leave them with a standing offer, should they ever want to get near my price.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    It's pretty easy to scroll past ads where folks have priced items beyond reason.

If the price is unreasonable, the seller will figure it out eventually. If they never budge, then they are not looking to move the item.

I do wish more people would do this or not vent at all, rather than stink up someone's advertisement.
    I agree.

I never felt the need to complain about someone’s selling price I just roll past like it wasn’t their.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I agree with the OP
    Also bad or worse at Louisiana Sportsman
    No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you are probably right !!

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Around June of 2017, perhaps July, I sold a brand new S&W M&P 2.0 in the classifieds here.

I had $398 in the pistol, and sold it for $400 even. It sold quickly, as I think I priced it correctly.

When I place an ad for a used item, I try to research what it would cost to buy that item new. I then try to start my pricing at 80% of the new price. When I see an ad for a used item at or close to retail, I see no advantage in buying the used item. For me, the cutoff is around 15-20% before I'd generally prefer to buy new from a retailer. There are too many unknowns when buying used and I know I may have trouble going back to the private seller if issues arise. This is especially true given the anonymity most people use on this board.

When I see a used pistol listed for $145 more than I can purchase it for, retail, brand new, it matters not to me how lightly, or gently, it was used.

When posting classified ads, please do a little research. Nobody cares how bad of a decision you made when you over paid for that gun you no longer want.
    You should expect to take a loss on a firearm that is modern production, if you bought it new and now it's used. I don't care if you brought it home, opened the box and only carried it once. It's a used gun.

I feel the same way as you with this. In general, if I'm not buying from a retailer, I'm buying a used gun. There is no standard definitions here for describing the condition of an item. I have considered suggesting a standard header for all ads that include price, location, and status with the status options being more defined. (On a side note, I also don't care for the kool kids who feel using a dollar sign is too much trouble for them. But that's another gripe.) I haven't done that because I don't like big government and I'd prefer as few rules and as little mod interference as possible.

I know some of the time, it's a stock weapon. Other times, some of the perceived increased value comes from the accessories added to the gun. I know you paid $80 for that SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake but I don't see that as justification for an $80 price increase in your asking price. For me, that does not add any value. If anything, it takes value away because now I may need to supply a different muzzle device. All my 30 cal cans are either Dear Air or have a Dead Air KeyMo. I think this applies to a lot of add-ons. Sure, I can try to sell it but I would rather not go through that trouble when I didn't need to buy it to begin with.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krotsman View Post
    Or you can look at it as they are just trying to see what the market will bear. Why get annoyed at it when you can simply make a more reasonable offer for it or just move on to the next ad? Also, a price you feel is unreasonable might be a bargain to someone who just likes the idea of saving $20 in taxes or FFL fees. It's all relative.

If it's something I am interested in, I usually leave them with a standing offer, should they ever want to get near my price.
    I would suggest the OP has picked a good place to discuss his concerns. Just as he can move on to the next ad, anyone who feels his post doesn't apply to them can move on to the next thread. But it's possible that some of the sellers will see his post and may see something that makes sense to them and adjust accordingly.

Marksman

User Info Menu

This is why I wish that people wouldn’t edit out the prices they were asking for items they’ve sold. This way buyers and sellers can see comparable items and better judge the market.