A bit off topic about the classifieds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Around June of 2017, perhaps July, I sold a brand new S&W M&P 2.0 in the classifieds here.

I had $398 in the pistol, and sold it for $400 even. It sold quickly, as I think I priced it correctly.

I've sold other things on the classifieds here, and had a few not sell as well.

I always try to price my items fairly.

When I see a used pistol listed for $145 more than I can purchase it for, retail, brand new, it matters not to me how lightly, or gently, it was used.

When posting classified ads, please do a little research. Nobody cares how bad of a decision you made when you over paid for that gun you no longer want.
    You should expect to take a loss on a firearm that is modern production, if you bought it new and now it's used. I don't care if you brought it home, opened the box and only carried it once. It's a used gun.

I'll passive aggressively vent my frustrations here, in an obscure thread, in a very 'off topic' manner, instead of taking a dump in somebody's classified ad.

Thank you for listening. (reading)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's pretty easy to scroll past ads where folks have priced items beyond reason.

If the price is unreasonable, the seller will figure it out eventually. If they never budge, then they are not looking to move the item.

I'll passive aggressively vent my frustrations here, in an obscure thread, in a very 'off topic' manner, instead of taking a dump in somebody's classified ad.

I do wish more people would do this or not vent at all, rather than stink up someone's advertisement.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Or you can look at it as they are just trying to see what the market will bear. Why get annoyed at it when you can simply make a more reasonable offer for it or just move on to the next ad? Also, a price you feel is unreasonable might be a bargain to someone who just likes the idea of saving $20 in taxes or FFL fees. It's all relative.

If it's something I am interested in, I usually leave them with a standing offer, should they ever want to get near my price.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It's pretty easy to scroll past ads where folks have priced items beyond reason.

If the price is unreasonable, the seller will figure it out eventually. If they never budge, then they are not looking to move the item.

I do wish more people would do this or not vent at all, rather than stink up someone's advertisement.

I agree.

I never felt the need to complain about someone’s selling price I just roll past like it wasn’t their.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Around June of 2017, perhaps July, I sold a brand new S&W M&P 2.0 in the classifieds here.

I had $398 in the pistol, and sold it for $400 even. It sold quickly, as I think I priced it correctly.

When I place an ad for a used item, I try to research what it would cost to buy that item new. I then try to start my pricing at 80% of the new price. When I see an ad for a used item at or close to retail, I see no advantage in buying the used item. For me, the cutoff is around 15-20% before I'd generally prefer to buy new from a retailer. There are too many unknowns when buying used and I know I may have trouble going back to the private seller if issues arise. This is especially true given the anonymity most people use on this board.

When I see a used pistol listed for $145 more than I can purchase it for, retail, brand new, it matters not to me how lightly, or gently, it was used.

When posting classified ads, please do a little research. Nobody cares how bad of a decision you made when you over paid for that gun you no longer want.
    You should expect to take a loss on a firearm that is modern production, if you bought it new and now it's used. I don't care if you brought it home, opened the box and only carried it once. It's a used gun.

I feel the same way as you with this. In general, if I'm not buying from a retailer, I'm buying a used gun. There is no standard definitions here for describing the condition of an item. I have considered suggesting a standard header for all ads that include price, location, and status with the status options being more defined. (On a side note, I also don't care for the kool kids who feel using a dollar sign is too much trouble for them. But that's another gripe.) I haven't done that because I don't like big government and I'd prefer as few rules and as little mod interference as possible.

I know some of the time, it's a stock weapon. Other times, some of the perceived increased value comes from the accessories added to the gun. I know you paid $80 for that SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake but I don't see that as justification for an $80 price increase in your asking price. For me, that does not add any value. If anything, it takes value away because now I may need to supply a different muzzle device. All my 30 cal cans are either Dear Air or have a Dead Air KeyMo. I think this applies to a lot of add-ons. Sure, I can try to sell it but I would rather not go through that trouble when I didn't need to buy it to begin with.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Or you can look at it as they are just trying to see what the market will bear. Why get annoyed at it when you can simply make a more reasonable offer for it or just move on to the next ad? Also, a price you feel is unreasonable might be a bargain to someone who just likes the idea of saving $20 in taxes or FFL fees. It's all relative.

If it's something I am interested in, I usually leave them with a standing offer, should they ever want to get near my price.

I would suggest the OP has picked a good place to discuss his concerns. Just as he can move on to the next ad, anyone who feels his post doesn't apply to them can move on to the next thread. But it's possible that some of the sellers will see his post and may see something that makes sense to them and adjust accordingly.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

This is why I wish that people wouldn’t edit out the prices they were asking for items they’ve sold. This way buyers and sellers can see comparable items and better judge the market.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    This is why I wish that people wouldn’t edit out the prices they were asking for items they’ve sold. This way buyers and sellers can see comparable items and better judge the market.

This is a good point.

Often, when determining the value of a used firearm, I'll check the completed auctions at Gun Broker. Looking at current auctions is worthless, but completed auctions are an indication of what the market will bear.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I guess some people don't was any record of the transaction so they change the text. The rules request an ad be left intact as a just in case thing.

"Once your item is sold, please edit your thread using the Edit button and change the TITLE ONLY and add SOLD to the end. Please do not edit the actual ad as we want to keep track of how things were advertised in case any problems arise."

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    its not just guns, its everything down here. up north people like to bargain and deal.
    down here everybodys "crap" is "special" and they think they can get retail for a 10yr old item.
    then they get angry if you offer a reasonable(current market value) amount, calling you a "cheap ass and lowballer".

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    I agree as well on the items I see overpriced. Understand that overpriced may be doable for some others and vice versa. I think if we are looking at an item or looking for a specific items the research has been done already. We know the fair price as well as the retail prices too. I can't remember who said it, but it's true and easy to skip over the item that we think is not a best offer.

Also people have different opinions on worth and it's easy to confuse with value.
    Now sell me some good stuff and in my opinion at a decent price.
    Cheers y'all.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There is a gun on here I would like to purchase. It is worth about $650+/- but the owner is asking $1000. NIB unmolested it would only be worth about $750. People have them listed on GunJoker for $1000-$1500 but they don't sell, the auctions that sell settle between $600-$700 for a similar modified gun in the condition it appears to be in. I'll probably end up buying one and shipping it in, but it would be nice to make a deal locally.

I feel sorry for someone trying to move a gun like a 1911 right now, the used market on them is SOFT outside of historical guns. Almost everyone is focused on Practical/Tactical guns, not a 8 shot 110 year old design.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Firearm sales are soft now but will pick up this summer with Firearm Owners being concerned about a Democrat being elected President.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Asking more for used M&P 1.0's than a new 2.0

I always try to trade stuff and don't mind taking a dollar value loss for something I really want (or add cash). I also for some reason have a lot of people offer the advertised amount but then immediately change their mind or just don't return messages

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    SOME of these over priced guns sell---it may be the only way some can get a firearm they want!!! Bill
    of sale and picture ID---and "gut feeling" of who you're dealing with---especially if your firearm is priced
    close to new price or overpriced.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Firearm sales are soft now but will pick up this summer with Firearm Owners being concerned about a Democrat being elected President.

I somewhat disagree. The market seems good for double stack pistols, 30 round rifles, etc, but soft for bolt actions, pump actions, single stacks, revolvers, etc. Basically, the market seems strong already for those things people would be concerned about losing access to, but soft for those things people normally wouldn’t see as under threat.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I somewhat disagree. The market seems good for double stack pistols, 30 round rifles, etc, but soft for bolt actions, pump actions, single stacks, revolvers, etc. Basically, the market seems strong already for those things people would be concerned about losing access to, but soft for those things people normally wouldn’t see as under threat.

Everyone on the Trump Train is 100% sure he will win. Like you, I don't see sales skyrocketing any time soon.

Top Bottom