How long are CCP's taking to get?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I went through a class. Was fingerprinted at LSP. My payment was accepted in early December. Still nothing. How long are CCP's taking?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    On a related question, can you trade in your lifetime for a 5 year. Didn't realize, when I got it, that a 5 year was good for gun purchases. I'm a veteran, so it's free now anyway. Anyone know if they'd let me swap it?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    On a related question, can you trade in your lifetime for a 5 year. Didn't realize, when I got it, that a 5 year was good for gun purchases. I'm a veteran, so it's free now anyway. Anyone know if they'd let me swap it?

Called LSP and they said nope, so... question answered.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, while I was waiting, the recording said 60+ days for processing

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

You can still use a lifetime permit for purchases. It has to be no older than 5 years at the time of purchase....if it was any older then you didnt renew with a refresher course and then your permit would be not valid with lsp anyway.

This happens to a lot of people. They think...oh I have a lifetime Im golden and then they forget to take a renew class and send in a renewal app to the state.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You can still use a lifetime permit for purchases. It has to be yourger than 5 years old at the time of purchase....if it was any older then you didnt renew with a refresher course and then your permit would be not valid with lsp anyway.

This happens to a lot of people. They think...oh I have a lifetime Im golden and then they forget to take a renew class and send in a renewal app to the state.

Mine is less than 5 years old and that has not been my experience when trying to purchase. Maybe they don't look at the issue date and just see "lifetime" and make me go thru e-check.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    There is no application submittal for renewal of a lifetime permit. Just submit the training certificate and done.

My understanding is the requirement for purchasing is a permit that has an expiration date that is less than 5 years in the future. That is why the lifetime is not accepted. Something to do with the verbage of the way the law was written.

There is a portal on the LSP site that you can enter a CHP number and if will verify if the permit is valid, not-valid, or revoked.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I went through a class. Was fingerprinted at LSP. My payment was accepted in early December. Still nothing. How long are CCP's taking?

Wow, early December! My application and prints were processed mid-January, and the online system still says "Application submitted to state" -- I was under the impression from my CCP instructor that the processing moved fairly quickly (about two weeks) if applicants went into LSP for prints and did everything online, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Odd.

I got my CHP sometime around last August or September-ish. I dropped off all of my paperwork and was fingerprinted at LSP headquarters here in the Red Stick ... and a week later I had my permit in hand.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Mine is less than 5 years old and that has not been my experience when trying to purchase. Maybe they don't look at the issue date and just see "lifetime" and make me go thru e-check.

I've been to a shop that refused my CHP and made me wait for a NICS check. That shop is now closed.

So long as it was issued after March 9, 2015, you are golden.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/o...-louisianas-concealed-handgun-permit/download

If you transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person pursuant to the permit alternative, you must
    comply with the following requirements:

1. Have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction
    Record.

2. Verify the identity of the transferee through a Government-issued photo
    identification (for example, a driver's license).

3. Verify that the concealed handgun permit was issued on or after March 9, 2015,
    and within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that
    the permit has not expired under State law.

4. Either retain a copy of the transferee's concealed firearm permit and attach it to
    the Form 4473, or record on the Form 4473 any identifying number from the
    permit, the date of issuance, and the expiration date of the permit.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I spoke to the lady at LSP. The computer attack last year screwed them up big time and created a lot of delays. Apparently I'm in that cue. She said if I did not get it in 3 weeks call back. Email payment confirmation 12/18/19. Soooo I wait.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I've been to a shop that refused my CHP and made me wait for a NICS check. That shop is now closed.

The LGS may accept the CHP instead of doing the NICS check, but they are not required to do so. It's their business decision.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The LGS may accept the CHP instead of doing the NICS check, but they are not required to do so. It's their business decision.

It absolutely is.

Knowing many people who work for gun shops, manage them, and own them, they don't want to wait on the phone any more than you do.

If they know it can be used and refuse to use it, that's telling, and I'll happily take my business elsewhere. What should have taken 10 minutes max ended up taking over an hour.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    It absolutely is.

Knowing many people who work for gun shops, manage them, and own them, they don't want to wait on the phone any more than you do.

If they know it can be used and refuse to use it, that's telling, and I'll happily take my business elsewhere. What should have taken 10 minutes max ended up taking over an hour.

Exactly. When I get my CCP if a dealer turns away a legal transaction the gun shall remain with them.

pwc001

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Any updates on wait times? Sent mine in Mid January. By mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Spoke with someone at the LSP CHP office this morning. She said the holdup is still related to the breach back in November, and apparently we’re all just piling up as *approved* but not yet technically rubber stamped. She didn’t know when someone up the food chain would hit the go button but said it’d likely be at least another few weeks.

If you call, push 1 then 4 to get to a real human.

pwc001

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Not surprised. I am used to waiting on NFA stuff, just glad to know what the hold up is. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Update for anyone following: just got my approval email today (about 11 weeks), says permit will be in the mail in another 10-15 days.

Top Bottom