Louisiana, we have a new Constitutional Carry Bill!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    LA
    Yes...he's got me there. I had to rely on a guy who does IT work with the state.

My work involves a lot of interaction with the DEQ. I know for a fact that their servers were hacked a month or so ago. The hack involved quite a few state offices in Baton Rouge. It took then a while to get it straightened out. Don't know whether that included the state police office or not.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I e-mailed my local representative, Rodney Schamerhorn, and voiced my support of HB56. I also voiced my support of his bill HB59 that would open the taking of outlaw quadrupeds at night for the entire calendar year and remove the requirement of notifying the local sheriff.

I also asked him to include language in the bill that would remove the 3 shot restriction on shotguns for the taking of all game except migratory birds. I searched the internet for the wildlife regulations in all 50 states and found that only Louisiana and New Jersey have a 3 shot restriction on shotguns for game other than migratory birds. It doesn't make any sense to allow a hunter to hunt with a rifle that can hold an unlimited number or rounds and restrict a shotgun to only 3 rounds.

He replied immediately and thanked me for contacting him about support for this legislation and said he would contact LDWF to get their opinion concerning the 3 shot restriction on shotguns.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If they were breached, they're keeping it from their IT people.

I wouldn't know.

- - - Updated - - -

But he heard a rumor.

Just in case you were confused by what my statement was?!?

ru•mor roo͞′mər►

n.
    A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
    n.
    Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
    transitive verb
    To spread or tell by rumor.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My work involves a lot of interaction with the DEQ. I know for a fact that their servers were hacked a month or so ago. The hack involved quite a few state offices in Baton Rouge. It took then a while to get it straightened out. Don't know whether that included the state police office or not.

Funny; I never heard that mentioned (about DEQ), anywhere the public would go to get news?!? Maybe I missed that announcement! :dunno:

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Funny; I never heard that mentioned (about DEQ), anywhere the public would go to get news?!? Maybe I missed that announcement! :dunno:

The state is still fixing stuff from the hack from the end of November. Since then, servers have had to be moved and rebuilt and restored. Almost every system was affected either directly or through preventative measures being taken. So there were times when a system was taken offline for work but that does not mean that system was just hacked.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    IF you want this to pass, contact your representative and senator and tell them you're in favor of the bill. Also, get as many people as you can to do the very same. It's only grass roots pressure that will get this billed passed into law.

EODBob5337

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2019
    Lacombe, Louisiana
    If passed, it will likely resemble Mississippi's CHP.
    In order for reciprocity to be extended, to other states, a Louisiana resident will still need an actual hard card permit to be eligible.
    Constitutional Carry will only be recognized within Louisiana for individuals legal to own a handgun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you want to know if this has a snowballs chance in hell, find out where the Louisiana Sheriffs Association is on this again this year. If they again think we are too stupid to have this, it ain't happening.

I completely understand Legislators giving credence to their law enforcement on issues, but in years past you would think the LSA has compromising photos of our Legislators because most don't even try to stand up against their wishes.

nolayota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    NOLA
    Please, everyone, email or call your representative in support of this bill.

You can find your representative's contact information here:

https://legis.la.gov/Legis/FindMyLegislators.aspx

This bill was recently featured on Ammoland.com, a nationally popular blog:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/02/support-the-constitutional-carry-bill-in-louisiana/

Given the new coverage, we should strike while the iron is hot. Please email/call your representative ASAP and make your voice be heard.

My letter to my rep:
    Representative XXXXX,

Do you intend to support HB 72?

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Requiring a license to exercise this right is an infringement.

This bill is very important to many of your constituents. Please reassert our rights by supporting HB 72 for Constitutional Carry in Louisiana.

Thank you,
    XXXXX

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mississippi still issues hall passes and is all but a constitutional carry state. I don’t know the numbers, before and after but plenty still get a permit. Mississippi also offers an enhanced carry which I’m sure helps keep the revenue up.

I like this. Constitutional carry for the state and an "enhanced carry" for those that want to attend additional training, background checks, screening, etc. The enhanced part could allow the licensee to carry in schools, churches, or similarly regulated places.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like this. Constitutional carry for the state and an "enhanced carry" for those that want to attend additional training, background checks, screening, etc. The enhanced part could allow the licensee to carry in schools, churches, or similarly regulated places.

Please, let's not send our legiscritters down the rabbit hole of "enhanced carry."

The whole point of Constitutional Carry is to do away with permission slips from the government to exercise a fundamental Constitutional right. Enhanced carry just promotes the idea that there are some places where the government needs to tell us who can and who can't carry.

The only two reasons I can see to even have the CHP are to circumvent the call to the FBI for a NICS background check, and for reciprocity with other states that don't have Constitutional carry. These are both solvable problems, and moreso without further entrenching the CHP.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Please, let's not send our legiscritters down the rabbit hole of "enhanced carry."

The whole point of Constitutional Carry is to do away with permission slips from the government to exercise a fundamental Constitutional right. Enhanced carry just promotes the idea that there are some places where the government needs to tell us who can and who can't carry.

The only two reasons I can see to even have the CHP are to circumvent the call to the FBI for a NICS background check, and for reciprocity with other states that don't have Constitutional carry. These are both solvable problems, and moreso without further entrenching the CHP.

Mike

Since you consider them both solvable problems, what is your proposal to still allow for the NICS bypass and reciprocity of other states without having a CHP due to Constitutional Carry?

nolayota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    NOLA
    Bump to remind everyone:

Please contact your representative. You can find their contact info at the link below:

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Requiring a license to exercise this right is an infringement.

You don't have to buy a license to express your First Amendment rights.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    If you want to know if this has a snowballs chance in hell, find out where the Louisiana Sheriffs Association is on this again this year. If they again think we are too stupid to have this, it ain't happening.

I completely understand Legislators giving credence to their law enforcement on issues, but in years past you would think the LSA has compromising photos of our Legislators because most don't even try to stand up against their wishes.

Might have a chance NEXT year as most of Sr. Mgnt at LSA is retiring this year

nolayota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    NOLA
    UPDATE:

HB72 is no more. Rep McCormick has reintroduced constitutional carry as HB686. Link below.

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?s=20rs&b=HB686&sbi=y

Please contact your representative and ask that they support HB686. You can find your rep at the link below.

HB686 has been referred to the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee. The last time Constitutional Carry came up, it died in committee. We need to speak with the committee members and demand that they pass the bill. Committee members are listed in the link below.

http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Cmtes/CriminalJustice.aspx

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

-Ronald Reagan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom