Louisiana, we have a new Constitutional Carry Bill!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Not removing the carry permit even if we have constitutional carry is a good thing. Having the carry permit means no pacing back and forth at the gun shop for 45 minutes while they are on hold with NICS waiting on the proceed. It also means you can carry in what, 37 or so more states with reciprocal agreements. Yes, pass the constitutional carry bill but leave the option to get the CCW permit in place.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Let's just use this number as a ball park figure.

Take half, because I don't know how many of those people have lifetime permits or were issued permits free of charge.

100,000 permits at $125 each = $12.5M; now divide that by 5 years and you end up with $2.5M a year. In the grand scheme of things, $2.5M per year is pretty good revenue for a plastic card, even when you start subtracting the amount of money it takes to run the program at LSP.

Take Salaries, Retirement and Healthcare Benefits, Offices and Computers, etc. out of 2.5 million, leaves not much, BUT it is another Government Tax and Control over Citizens Rights.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Take Salaries, Retirement and Healthcare Benefits, Offices and Computers, etc. out of 2.5 million, leaves not much, BUT it is another Government Tax and Control over Citizens Rights.

When is the last time you think the state government actually looked at the whole picture? They look at money coming in and worry about the rest when it's too late.

Years and years of debt prove that.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

When is the last time you think the state government actually looked at the whole picture? They look at money coming in and worry about the rest when it's too late.

Years and years of debt prove that.

It might also be worth mentioning when a department is downsized or eliminated government employees more often than not, get reassigned instead of being laid-off.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have my opinions about why it's both good and bad.

Regardless, what I find comical is the people whose only excuse is that you are giving the government your information, don't realize that they already have your information.

"But they take your fingerprints"

Yea? Ever applied for a Federally regulated TWIC? Ever been logged into DISA?

There is nothing funny about data breaches. I heard a rumor that LSP itself, got breached last week but were keeping it under wraps to assess the size and scope of it. If that is true, and they end up not telling the public, that is all a person needs to know about handing over more personal information to government bureaucracies.

Quite frankly, they can't be trusted to keep it safe!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There is nothing funny about data breaches. I heard a rumor that LSP itself, got breached last week but were keeping it under wraps to assess the size and scope of it. If that is true, and they end up not telling the public, that is all a person needs to know about handing over more personal information to government bureaucracies.

Chances are, your bank has had data breaches at some point. Hell, the IRS has had data breaches.

At some point in your life, you have given the government, public entities, and private entities your personal information. If that's someone's reasoning for not obtaining a CHP, so be it, but I don't invest much in Reynolds Wrap.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Chances are, your bank has had data breaches at some point. Hell, the IRS has had data breaches.

At some point in your life, you have given the government, public entities, and private entities your personal information. If that's someone's reasoning for not obtaining a CHP, so be it, but I don't invest much in Reynolds Wrap.

So, in your view, we should all just take it; because that is the way it goes? If you get all your retirement stolen or your bank accounts cleaned out, oh well? That's the breaks? I don't agree with that.

It doesn't matter, either! If I voluntarily provide my info for something I choose to do, then that is the risk I take. If you make me give you my personal info, like for a CHP or a Driver's License, then it is YOUR responsibility to keep my info secure. If you can't, you shouldn't have that info. That is the difference. The biggest problem is government bureaucracies are not accountable to us for anything like that.

The internet is worthless when it comes to digital security, and dummies on computers in companies and bureaucracies are the biggest culprits. It is only going to get worse. Tin foil has nothing to do with the reality.

FWIW, I am constantly trying to draw down on my personal digital info on the internet and in databases. If others don't care what they have out there, or the pitfalls that lurk, that is their business!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    LA
    I would like to see one of these bills passed. I feel that a lot of people would still apply for a CHP due to the fact that it allows for concealed carry in other states and it also allows them to bypass background checks when purchasing a new gun. It would also alleviate the situation a lot of people found themselves in after the CHP restrictions were put into place. I found myself in that situation after the CHP laws were passed in 2014 and had to jump through hoops and spend a lot money to get my rights back that were previously restored in 1994 after serving probation for a non-violent felony. All due to the fact that one cannot get a CHP if you were convicted of a crime punishable by 1 year or more in prison, regardless of what the crime was(I do agree that violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms). I purchased firearms without any problems numerous times between 1994 and 2014. Only to find out after a gun purchase in early 2015, that since I was not eligible to get a CHP, I was not allowed to have any firearms at all. It's not right, that once a persons rights have been restored, they can lose those rights. Even when they haven't done anything wrong to lose those re-instated rights.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So, in your view, we should all just take it; because that is the way it goes? If you get all your retirement stolen or your bank accounts cleaned out, oh well? That's the breaks? I don't agree with that.

It doesn't matter, either! If I voluntarily provide my info for something I choose to do, then that is the risk I take. If you make me give you my personal info, like for a CHP or a Driver's License, then it is YOUR responsibility to keep my info secure. If you can't, you shouldn't have that info. That is the difference. The biggest problem is government bureaucracies are not accountable to us for anything like that.

The internet is worthless when it comes to digital security, and dummies on computers in companies and bureaucracies are the biggest culprits. It is only going to get worse. Tin foil has nothing to do with the reality.

FWIW, I am constantly trying to draw down on my personal digital info on the internet and in databases. If others don't care what they have out there, or the pitfalls that lurk, that is their business!

You and I have different views on what is accepted and expected.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If you are against the principle of having CHP's (which I fundamentally am), then this is an entirely appropriate question to ask.

Here's another one: if the Sheriff is handling HIPPA protected medical data as a part of CHP applications, do they have the necessary safeguards in place to protect this information? I work in healthcare IT and know what it takes to protect this data. Would you assume that the local sheriff has the same level of sophistication in its handling of this sensitive information?

I'm waiting for the right time to ask this bomb of a question in a legislative committee meeting.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you are against the principle of having CHP's (which I fundamentally am), then this is an entirely appropriate question to ask.

Here's another one: if the Sheriff is handling HIPPA protected medical data as a part of CHP applications, do they have the necessary safeguards in place to protect this information? I work in healthcare IT and know what it takes to protect this data. Would you assume that the local sheriff has the same level of sophistication in its handling of this sensitive information?

I'm waiting for the right time to ask this bomb of a question in a legislative committee meeting.

Mike

I fully understand what you're alluding to, but I have to ask... Why is your Sheriff handling CHP applications?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Great question. Will you join me in legislative committee meetings to raise these concerns?

Mike

If your local Sheriff is putting hands on something he doesn't need to be involved with, you need to rally other locals. Perhaps make a thread for such a thing to occur. If you're in Baton Rouge, there are many members here that are in your area.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If they were breached, they're keeping it from their IT people.

Top Bottom