Louisiana, we have a new Constitutional Carry Bill!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePiedPiper

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 8, 2018
    New Orleans
    Interesting, I was just thinking about this the other day. As much as I want this to pass, I don’t think it will. My reasoning being that I believe the state is too interested in the revenue the permits generate.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Interesting, I was just thinking about this the other day. As much as I want this to pass, I don’t think it will. My reasoning being that I believe the state is too interested in the revenue the permits generate.

I bet they don't generate all that much revenue, compared with the overhead of funding the CHP department in LSP. Especially since veterans are free now.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I bet they don't generate all that much revenue, compared with the overhead of funding the CHP department in LSP. Especially since veterans are free now.

Let's just use this number as a ball park figure.

As of December 31, 2017, there are 204,625 active concealed handgun permits issued in Louisiana.

Take half, because I don't know how many of those people have lifetime permits or were issued permits free of charge.

100,000 permits at $125 each = $12.5M; now divide that by 5 years and you end up with $2.5M a year. In the grand scheme of things, $2.5M per year is pretty good revenue for a plastic card, even when you start subtracting the amount of money it takes to run the program at LSP.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Please email or call your the reps in your area to ask them to get behind the bill. If we don't let them know it is out there and we want it to move, then we can be assured it will be dead in the water.

The squeaky wheel tends to get the grease in Baton Rouge.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for posting this. I'll be tracking it ... and I'll do my best to be in attendance at committee meetings to give this my unbridled support.

(I live 5 minutes from the legislature building, so it's just a matter of carving out time from my work schedule)

Mike

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Usually there are at least half a dozen or so anti gun bills every year. I just checked the legislature's website and I don't see any this year. Mais, quelle miracle.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Some other states allow cc and carry in your car if you have a permit in another state. Wouldn’t this be a problem?
    Could you still get a permit if you want one for another state?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    We have an entire group dedicated to making our plastic permission slips. I don't see this passing.

Mississippi still issues hall passes and is all but a constitutional carry state. I don’t know the numbers, before and after but plenty still get a permit. Mississippi also offers an enhanced carry which I’m sure helps keep the revenue up.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Mississippi still issues hall passes and is all but a constitutional carry state. I don’t know the numbers, before and after but plenty still get a permit. Mississippi also offers an enhanced carry which I’m sure helps keep the revenue up.

"Enhanced" hall passes.

Which I would hope that Louisiana would also do, if they chose to go to Constitutional Carry, because I do carry out of state.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "Enhanced" hall passes.

Which I would hope that Louisiana would also do, if they chose to go to Constitutional Carry, because I do carry out of state.

In principle I hate the idea of a concealed handgun permit, but in the context of our current legislative framework it makes sense to have -- even if Constitutional Carry passes.

As you mentioned, it would benefit people that travel to other states that don't have Constitutional Carry.

It also allows a gun buyer to skip the point-of-sale NICS background check. The 4473 still exists (and I don't like that either), but the government doesn't know about the existence of that particular 4473 until an ATF agent looks at it (or the shop goes out of business and their paper records are shipped to BATF in West Virginia). With an instant NICS check, there is an immediate record created that such-and-such individual was involved in the transfer of a firearm.

In that context, I support the CHP continuing to exist ... for now.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In principle I hate the idea of a concealed handgun permit, but in the context of our current legislative framework it makes sense to have -- even if Constitutional Carry passes.

As you mentioned, it would benefit people that travel to other states that don't have Constitutional Carry.

It also allows a gun buyer to skip the point-of-sale NICS background check. The 4473 still exists (and I don't like that either), but the government doesn't know about the existence of that particular 4473 until an ATF agent looks at it (or the shop goes out of business and their paper records are shipped to BATF in West Virginia). With an instant NICS check, there is an immediate record created that such-and-such individual was involved in the transfer of a firearm.

In that context, I support the CHP continuing to exist ... for now.

Mike

I have my opinions about why it's both good and bad.

Regardless, what I find comical is the people whose only excuse is that you are giving the government your information, don't realize that they already have your information.

"But they take your fingerprints"

Yea? Ever applied for a Federally regulated TWIC? Ever been logged into DISA?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    "Enhanced" hall passes.

Yeah enhanced is more like a backstage pass. You can go in courthouses and stuff like that. It’s like a per-filled NICS form in your wallet too. Or at least that’s how the guys I know who have an enhanced make it sound.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah enhanced is more like a backstage pass. You can go in courthouses and stuff like that. It’s like a per-filled NICS form in your wallet too. Or at least that’s how the guys I know who have an enhanced make it sound.

I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of the Enhanced Permit, but I know that Constitutional Carry is only good for the state you're in. My permit allows me to carry while traveling through states with reciprocity.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of the Enhanced Permit, but I know that Constitutional Carry is only good for the state you're in. My permit allows me to carry while traveling through states with reciprocity.

If you were to compare Mississippi’s concealed gun laws to say concert tickets it would look something like this:

permitless= Gen Admission (concealed off body, or holstered at hip or shoulder)

permit= Gen Admission (position unlimited) + access to other venues (states with reciprocity)

enhanced= Gen Admission + access to other venues +backstage passes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom