Good arrest or abuse of rights?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Come on man that’s no where near the same.

But if were true and law it could save lives if a driver hydroplanes off the road into a canal. We are becoming a thought police state. Just worried if you are legally driving around with a *assault* rifle in your vehicle you will be deemed a dander to society about to commit a crime. Just because it’s not the normal thing to do. Land of the free...ha

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I wonder if he would have been free to go if he only had a few gas cans and a zippo instead of legally owned guns? (I’m assuming they were legally owned). I’m sure if he was prohibited it would have been reported. It’s all about the guns. Just like red flag laws.

I would wager had he threatened to burn the place the the ground the day before he would have received similar treatment.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Probable Cause documents often contain the phrase "based upon the totality of the circumstances." With the circumstances reported here, it sounds like they made a pretty solid arrest. If they took the extra step once they stopped the guy to actually get a warrant from a judge before finding the weapons, that will put a lot of extra weight to their case further down the road that they didn't run roughshod over this guy's constitutional rights.

The question of the post asked if this was a "good arrest." Imagine how much of a "bad non-arrest" this would be portrayed as if the police just waved at this guy driving by and he circled back to wreak havoc a bit later.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    But if were true and law it could save lives if a driver hydroplanes off the road into a canal. We are becoming a thought police state. Just worried if you are legally driving around with a *assault* rifle in your vehicle you will be deemed a dander to society about to commit a crime. Just because it’s not the normal thing to do. Land of the free...ha

I get it. But this guy wasn’t charge with thoughts or stopped because of them. He allegedly made threats involving the use of firearms to harm others. Then he was found with firearms going out of his way to pass by the place he threatened only a day earlier. Will the be able to convict on that? It’s hard to say but if you eliminate the unlikely the most likely option you are left with is a foiled attack.

Remember I’m the guy who said the idiot at Walmart that took his pet AR and friends for a walk days after an active shooter incident at a Walmart, shouldn’t have been charged with terrorism.

I’m not saying the state‘s case would hold up in trial, but I also don’t know all the details. And I wouldn’t say it won’t either. I think they clearly had enough to detain and most likely enough to charge him.

If I’m walking around in the middle of the night in the woods with a large light, and rifle, shining fields, with no reasonable explanation or letter stating I’m there hunting pigs or coyotes, and a game warden finds me he is going to think I’m poaching. And he would have plenty of reason to believe so.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Probable Cause documents often contain the phrase "based upon the totality of the circumstances." With the circumstances reported here, it sounds like they made a pretty solid arrest. If they took the extra step once they stopped the guy to actually get a warrant from a judge before finding the weapons, that will put a lot of extra weight to their case further down the road that they didn't run roughshod over this guy's constitutional rights.

The question of the post asked if this was a "good arrest." Imagine how much of a "bad non-arrest" this would be portrayed as if the police just waved at this guy driving by and he circled back to wreak havoc a bit later.

Exactly.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Good arrest, threats and being in a location where "threats" were supposed to be carried out and also being the one whom threatened on top of having a light arsenal within reach. It all says Stoopid and careless on top of a lack of respect for fellow man, establishment, and lack of respect for firearms. Yadayadayada. Good arrest.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    10 years ago, it was overstepping.

Today, I can’t fault the officer, so much *covering your ass* action that can result in litigious outcomes If the officer doesn’t *do something*. Make the arrest, let the courts decide...

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    Sounds like the only real crime he committed was being stupid. They can get him on the threats which won’t amount to much but that’s about it. Probable cause for pulling him over? Was there a warrant out for him at that point?
    Not even gonna contemplate whether or not he was about to come unhinged and go Rambo on the boss, but sounds like he was close. Last I checked, this ain’t Minority Report.
    That being said, cops can arrest a guy for anything. Good or bad arrest gets decided in the courtroom.

Id say the PC is the fact that he made a threat. He has already committed a crime. Of course they are still only investigating at the time. But now he’s the suspect in said investigation. So him being in a car is irrelevant. He doesn’t have to commit a driving infraction at that point.

On that note, this seems more like conspiracy than an attempt. I’d say attempted would be if he well attempted as in tried to do it.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    It's 2020 and people need to realize the climate we are living in. You can not jokingly or unjokingly say "I can mow this place down and I don't care who I hurt" and not expect any consequences, If I was working in the cubicle next to this guy I would have perceived that as a threat, subdued him, and called the police right then and there. I think its a good arrest. Fake news aside, if he really said "I can mow this place down and I don't care who I hurt" yeah that's a reasonable threat. Take his ass out. might as well be a bomb threat.

Top Bottom