Handicapped parking enforcement

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I actually had someone argue with me over this subject . Their position was that in a private parking lot ( Walmart , Winn Dixie , etc ) the Police had no jurisdiction to write tickets for Handicapped Parking violations . WTFO ? :eek3:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That parking spot is mandated by law, not out of the goodness of the businesses hearts. Damn straight cops tax people who use it without proper permission from the government. They also tax people who park in the fire lane. So what is the issue again?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Louisiana Law:

B.(1) No person shall park any vehicle in a mobility-impaired parking space unless such person has a license plate or hang tag for the mobility-impaired issued pursuant to R.S. 47:463.4 or a properly displayed special parking card issued pursuant to R.S. 47:463.4.1.
    (2)(a) The law enforcement officer shall be authorized to issue a citation or take whatever law enforcement action is deemed necessary or both. Furthermore, when an individual found to be in violation of these provisions refuses a request by a law enforcement officer to move the vehicle found in violation, the officer shall be authorized to have such vehicle towed.
    (b) The citation shall contain information concerning the nature, date, time, and location of the alleged violation, the state vehicle license plate number, and the make of vehicle. In those cases where a license plate is not visible or legible, the vehicle identification number shall be used in lieu of the state vehicle plate number. The citation shall also contain information advising the person charged of the manner and the time in which he may contest the violation charged in the citation. The citation shall also provide that a failure to timely answer or appear before a court of competent jurisdiction shall be considered a prima facie admission of the violation set forth in the citation, in which the court may assess the appropriate fine or fines and all penalties incidental thereto.
    (c) The citation issued pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection shall be personally served upon the operator of the vehicle by affixing the parking citation to the vehicle in a conspicuous place thereon. The original parking citation shall bear the name or initials and identification number of the issuing officer who shall affirm the truth of the facts set forth therein. An operator of a vehicle who is not the owner, but who uses or operates the vehicle with permission of the owner, expressed or implied, shall be considered the agent of the owner to receive the citation required to be served upon the operator or registered owner of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this Subsection. When a citation is issued for an alleged violation of the laws governing parking in a mobility-impaired parking space, loading and unloading areas, access aisles, access ramps, and curb cuts, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a person in whose name the vehicle is registered was the operator of the vehicle when the alleged violation was committed.
    (d) In the event that the registered owner or operator of a vehicle drives the vehicle away from or in any manner leaves the site of the violation while the issuing officer is preparing the citation, or refuses service of the parking citation and drives away from or in any manner leaves the site of the violation, this fact shall be duly noted on the original and all copies of the parking citation. This original and all copies of a parking citation shall constitute a business record of the law enforcement agency issuing the citation and shall constitute prima facie evidence that the citation was issued and that an attempt at service was made in accordance with the provisions of this Subsection.
    (3) The first violation of the provisions of this Subsection shall be punished by a fine of two hundred seventy-five dollars. A subsequent violation shall be punished by a fine of five hundred dollars.
    (4) If the violator is other than an individual, a fine of five hundred dollars shall be imposed.
    (5) In addition to such fine, the violator may also be required to pay the towing fee and any storage costs which are incurred.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    (3) The first violation of the provisions of this Subsection shall be punished by a fine of two hundred seventy-five dollars. A subsequent violation shall be punished by a fine of five hundred dollars.
    (4) If the violator is other than an individual, a fine of five hundred dollars shall be imposed.
    (5) In addition to such fine, the violator may also be required to pay the towing fee and any storage costs which are incurred.

That is a steep tax for being lazy.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That is a steep tax for being lazy.

I have a retired friend that has written a very large number of these Citations and they deserve it.
    Sad when a Truly Handicapped Person has to park way out and walk to the store when a Non Handicapped Person parks next to the store.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Title 32, which includes speeding, stop sign violations, and most traffic laws, cannot be enforced on private property. Handicap parking is not in title 32, neither is DWI or Reckless Operation. They can all be enforced on private property.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I have a retired friend that has written a very large number of these Citations and they deserve it.
    Sad when a Truly Handicapped Person has to park way out and walk to the store when a Non Handicapped Person parks next to the store.

Agreed.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I had a coworker, when I was still working, that was perfect for the enforcement of handicapped laws. He was paralyzed from the waist down, used a wheel chair to get around, and was a reserve JP deputy. I think his only problem might have been a bit of righteous indignation with the lazy people.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    With a,hang tag or plate you are also issued a Handicapped ID with State,Seal similar to tge License ir State ID.
    I know of quite a gew persons who use another person's tags.
    I can not wait till they get tickets so i can laugh

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I had a coworker, when I was still working, that was perfect for the enforcement of handicapped laws. He was paralyzed from the waist down, used a wheel chair to get around, and was a reserve JP deputy. I think his only problem might have been a bit of righteous indignation with the lazy people.

Problem? Mark me down as a problem too.

I have never had the urge to park in a handicap space. Now *Pro* (home depot/lowes), EV, employee of the month, etc. I tend to be a grouchy old man and sometimes I’m tempted. I’ve used the *pro* a few times (they take up half the lot in front of lumber and they are always empty) and an EV that was at a gas station (it was either park and obstruct a pump or a useless EV station).

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Problem? Mark me down as a problem too.

I have never had the urge to park in a handicap space. Now *Pro* (home depot/lowes), EV, employee of the month, etc. I tend to be a grouchy old man and sometimes I’m tempted. I’ve used the *pro* a few times (they take up half the lot in front of lumber and they are always empty) and an EV that was at a gas station (it was either park and obstruct a pump or a useless EV station).

I would 100% park in an EV spot!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom