Member feedback and C&R Gunsmith in Southeast Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 82jumpmaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2020
    Hammond, LA
    All,

This is my first post on the site so any pointers or feedback would be appreciated.

I am slowly attempting to collect C&R military surplus rifles and would appreciate any feedback or guidance on this. I'm also interested in any information about a gun smith in southeast Louisiana with expertise in these types of firearms. I have been around firearms my entire life and was trained and certified as an armorer while in the Army. However, the difference between an armorer and a gunsmith is vast and I'm starting at ground zero with firearms like this.

At this point my "collection" is small:

1897 London Small Arms Lee Enfield MLE 1*, converted to CLLE in 1903, sighted and proofed for smokeless powder. At some point it was sold-out-of-service and the wood fore-end and butt-stock were checkered. All numbers matching and still shoots well. Passes the "bullet" test at the muzzle and chamber.

1908 Carl Gustaff Swedish Mauser - Still in the original issue configuration, all numbers matching including all wood, rings, magazine plate, etc. I have not fired this rifle since acquiring it and have disassembled and cleaned it fairly thoroughly. Bolt action is smooth and positive, magazine follower operates as it should by locking bolt to the rear when empty, bore was dirty when I brought it home but after several cleanings with Hoppes bore cleaner rifling is visible and defined. No bayonet or cleaning rod (wasn't a buying point for me).

1928 Izhevsk 91/30 Mosin Nagant - Again, still in original issue configuration, all numbers matching including magazine floor plate and butt plate. I have fired this rifle and it cycles and works well. No bayonet or cleaning rod.

I do have plans to continue to add but I want to start understanding the pieces listed above so I can use and care for them properly.

Thanks.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Welcome to the C&R fold. Since you're making this distinction, I trust that you have your C&R FFL?

I've never met a gunsmith that specializes broadly in C&R weapons, since the scope of C&R guns is more than half of the 20th century. I would also add that preserving a historic firearm can be a very different exercise than gunsmithing a modern gun. With valuable historic arms, for instance, you generally wouldn't want to refinish the gun; that could really hurt the value. So, be careful who you take advice from there, since a seemingly innocent repair could tremendously affect a gun's value to another collector.

I think you'll be better served to find collecting communities that cater to your collecting interests. I'm not into WW1 / WW2 guns, but I'm sure there are collecting organizations out there that have plenty of experts who can guide you in all aspects of owning, collecting, repairing, etc.

I belong to (among other groups) the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association, which counts among its membership some of the world's leading gun collectors. I have benefited tremendously from their expertise.

Mike

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hi I’ve been collecting C&R weapons for years. You did the right thing by removing the action from the wood. I’ve seen beautiful examples of rifles that when taken out of the stock were rusted quite badly under the wood. I recommend a light coat of Riggs on the metal before putting them back together. For the surface I use several coats of Johnson’s Furniture Wax to protect against oxidation and for the wood I’d recommend Tom’s Gunstock Wax to protect it.

If you shoot corrosive ammo I recommend Ballistol mixed with water to neutralize the salts.

I don’t know of any C&R specific gunsmiths locally.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom