Buying New vs Refurbished Optics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Most of my purchases are 'new' vs 'refurbished', but every so often I will give in to the Gods of refurbished bargains.
    It's not often and I usually make out just fine. I did just have a fail on a refurb optic, though.
    It is a Sight Mark ultra-shot-plus-red-dot that I got from Optics Planet in July of last year.
    Great features and reviews. Their new items carry a lifetime warranty while their refurbs carry only a year.
    I hardly used mine since getting it, but I liked it a lot. I did notice that I had to re-zero it my last two trips to the range and that the reticles were starting to get a halo effect.
    Anyway. I returned it this morning. Lesson learned. I am curious as to how they will handle this since I know longer see refurbs offered at Optics Planet.
    Anyone else that rolls the dice when it comes to refurbs? Good luck or bad?

Attachments

• opplanet-sightmark-ultra-shot-plus-red-dot-sgt-sm26008-main.jpg
      opplanet-sightmark-ultra-shot-plus-red-dot-sgt-sm26008-main.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 86
    Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The quality of a refurbished optics are relative to the company you're dealing with. I don't have an issue purchasing a refurbished optic from someone like Vortex, Steiner, Aimpoint, EOtech, Nightforce, or Kahles, if they were available.

I wouldn't buy a refurbished optic from a company that I wouldn't buy a new optic from.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve bought quite a few refurbished items over the years and always got my money’s worth. High end fishing reels, some electronics, and even optics. None of the items were really in the budget end of each category though. Maybe you should set your sights a little higher than sightmark?
    From what I’ve read, most refurbs are returned items that either have nothing wrong or are in need of something simple. Others are items that didn’t pass QC inspection. So they basically get rebuilt, refinished and gone over to spec (which is still cheaper than starting from scratch) and sold cheaper so the manufacturer can recoup some of their loss. Generally they are just as good as new.

Top Bottom