Police trade in....weapon. $99

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    They got a bunch of them. Some department getting rid of their throw-downs? J/K

Could be a start of a Saturday-Night-Special collection.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I am extremely curious as to what department had this many of these. Had be a back up to their back up weapon? WTH?
    Lol, for real. I think Trailboss might have got it right. I can’t imagine what kind of police force would actually carry anything of the sort. I’m gonna call my good friends there tomorrow and ask if there’s been a typo or something since it’s not April 1st...

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What’s the real deal with this? Joke? I actually own one. I paid $25 in 1985. The Raven successor (one of many) was Bryco. I bought stainless Bryco .25 like this and a Bryco .380 in the ‘90’s NIB for $89 (total!) at the gun show when it was in the Great Hall on Airline Hwy. ( Full disclosure- I did pay a $25 fee for the ATF check and credit card fee.) I thought ATF had banned the “ring of fire” guns (Raven, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez). Supposedly some of the former owners had ties to AMT (remember the AMT .380 Backup? Was popular with BRPD in the ‘80’s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I thought ATF had banned the *ring of fire* guns (Raven, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez).

Nope. They tried, but it backfired spectacularly.

FIE was one of the original importers of these little pocket .25 ACP guns. When they started showing up at every crime scene, ATF developed the import test to try to stem the tide of these cheap Italian imports. Brilliantly, FIE responded by importing all of the parts except the receiver, which they made here in the United States.

Then, like now, any time the public got a whiff of gun control, sales would go through the roof. In this case, FIE ended up becoming a major player in the gun trade with these little pistols. Other companies followed suit, which included Raven, Jennings, Bryco, etc.

By the way, this import test and scoring system is still very much in place. It's why you can go to the store and buy a Glock 26 (it passes the import test -- just), but you can't buy a Glock 25 (which is essentially a Glock 19 chambered in .380). The .380 is one of ATF's "bad" calibers (it only gets 3 points versus 9mm getting 10 points).

Your government, hard at work.

Mike

PS - here's a link to the import points scoring form from ATF. Enjoy. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/atf-form-4590-factoring-criteria-weapons

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What’s the real deal with this? Joke? I actually own one. I paid $25 in 1985. The Raven successor (one of many) was Bryco. I bought stainless Bryco .25 like this and a Bryco .380 in the ‘90’s NIB for $89 (total!) at the gun show when it was in the Great Hall on Airline Hwy. ( Full disclosure- I did pay a $25 fee for the ATF check and credit card fee.) I thought ATF had banned the “ring of fire” guns (Raven, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez). Supposedly some of the former owners had ties to AMT (remember the AMT .380 Backup? Was popular with BRPD in the ‘80’s)

I remember the AMT in the wallet holster that many BRPD guys had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I remember the AMT in the wallet holster that many BRPD guys had.

I carried a High Standard .22 Magnum in a Holster Wallet as a back up to my revolver in the early 1970's.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m curious about whether there was a policy in years past regarding secondary weapons. I had a couple BRPD show me an AMT in their boot (80’s). (I don’t know if boots are still allowed with the uniform).

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’m curious about whether there was a policy in years past regarding secondary weapons. I had a couple BRPD show me an AMT in their boot (80’s). (I don’t know if boots are still allowed with the uniform).

Only policy is no caliber smaller than .380 and you must qualify with it annually.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Appreciate the info re: getting one of these. Flashback 30+ years ago. I may have to buy one just to have it. I'm surprised PD would carry such an underpowered weapon. Does anyone know the "best" ammo for a .25 cal? THX

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m not sure that there is any.25 Ammo that makes much of a difference.

There’s a guy (Paul Harrell) who does a lot of YT vids on firearms. He did a comparison of Hornady XTP vs. some other.25 and there wasn’t enough energy to open up the round.

On the other hand, I read a story about a pawn shop owner who was ambushed when he was away from his normal carry gun. He was able to get a .25 out of his pocket and fire point blank at the attacker’s skull. One entered the eye and dispatched the attacker. Allegedly a FMJ round ricocheted around in the brain pan.

Several years ago I walked into a prominent BTR LGS and asked for some .25 ammunition. The guy asked “What are you going to do with it?”

My response was “That is none of your business.”

Fortunately he said “I just wanted to know if you needed a self-defense or a target round.”

We laughed and he showed me both. I bought both.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom