Another person dies on parade route!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    so people are being run over by parade floats pulled by tractors. Their fix, split the big floats, and pull it, thus increasing the number of floats/tractors that can run over people.... HUMMMM.....

The number of floats will not change. The number of tractors will increase. This will also increase the number of people who should be watching the floats. More importantly, the unobserved space between the trailers will decrease to zero so the bar linking the individual floats in tandem would drop to zero. The first fatality occurred when the woman tripped over that bar. Details on the second fatality have not been released.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The number of floats will not change. The number of tractors will increase. This will also increase the number of people who should be watching the floats. More importantly, the unobserved space between the trailers will decrease to zero so the bar linking the individual floats in tandem would drop to zero. The first fatality occurred when the woman tripped over that bar. Details on the second fatality have not been released.

Breaking up the floats won't solve the fact that people are stupid, but it will eliminate the possibility of people trying to hop through tandem floats.

That doesn't account for the fall protection that will inevitably be implemented. Riders fell off floats last night and in 2008 a rider fell off of a float and was run over.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Breaking up the floats won't solve the fact that people are stupid, but it will eliminate the possibility of people trying to hop through tandem floats.

That doesn't account for the fall protection that will inevitably be implemented. Riders fell off floats last night and in 2008 a rider fell off of a float and was run over.

This.

It would be difficult for rules and laws to eliminate the human element.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

This.

Agreed some people are just hard-headed. Just about every worksite accident I’ve come across involves people ignoring best practices or policies, or not being properly equipped.

I struggle to understand how hopping between two floats while in motion could ever have a reward worthy of that risk.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    Voodoo curse , Don't leave the dead in public for months.Bad JuJu is a bitch .

6f.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    This.

Are we talking about guns or Mardi Gras? :mamoru:

Agreed some people are just hard-headed. Just about every worksite accident I’ve come across involves people ignoring best practices or policies, or not being properly equipped.

I struggle to understand how hopping between two floats while in motion could ever have a reward worthy of that risk.

The presence of copious supply of alcohol explains most stupid actions during Mardi Gras.

I won't make any assumptions about the deceased being intoxicated, but their decisions were foolish. Although there are times when it is nearly impossible to cross during a parade, pre-planning to know which side you want to be on is a best practice.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

The presence of copious supply of alcohol explains most stupid actions during Mardi Gras.

I won't make any assumptions about the deceased being intoxicated, but their decisions were foolish. Although there are times when it is nearly impossible to cross during a parade, pre-planning to know which side you want to be on is a best practice.

Most definitely. We messed up the first time I went and were separated from our car for hours. If you live you usually learn. :D

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Yes.

I couldn't count the number of people who would walk up with a bag of McDonalds or Popeyes and ask how they could get back to their hotel on the other side of the parade route. There are barricades on the downtown section of the route and there's very few, if any, places to cross unless you jump the barricades. Any openings in the barricade got closed between the time they left for food and when they were trying to go back. The city could run barricades down the entire length of the parade route but it would cost around $250,000 to get the additional barricades.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yes.

I couldn't count the number of people who would walk up with a bag of McDonalds or Popeyes and ask how they could get back to their hotel on the other side of the parade route. There are barricades on the downtown section of the route and there's very few, if any, places to cross unless you jump the barricades. Any openings in the barricade got closed between the time they left for food and when they were trying to go back. The city could run barricades down the entire length of the parade route but it would cost around $250,000 to get the additional barricades.

Something something stupid people.

Pay the $20 for a Lyft/Uber to take you to your hotel, even if they have to drive around the parade route.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Cantrell is a dumbass! She should concentrate more on how to reduce crime around these parades than how these parades should be structured.

Who does she think she is, Dorothy Mae Taylor?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Cantrell is a dumbass! She should concentrate more on how to reduce crime around these parades than how these parades should be structured.

The mayor has far too much at stake to not be involved in the safety of *all* aspects of these parades. Tourism drives much of NOLA's economy, and the city can't afford to have people dying in parades. That said, I don't have faith that the mayor will find an effective solution.

A law enforcement solution is *not* the way to go here. Instead, I would look at requiring each krewe to have designated people ("float monitors?") walking alongside each float. These people would have walkie-talkies that they could communicate to the float drivers with, and they could stop things in an instant if they needed to.

I was at Endymion on Saturday night and it seemed to me like the police did a good job of maintaining law and order. What was missing was the ability for responsible people to communicate with the float drivers when something bad was happening.

This is not a complicated problem to solve, and it doesn't even have to be a particularly expensive one. And it certainly wouldn't be expensive in the context of the value of human life.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom