Need advice on Long term storage food

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    The husband unit decided we need to lay in a supply of emergency food, the 10-15 year storable kind.

Would like y'all's advice on which companies/kits you have used and what we should consider.

Thanks!

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I use Mountain House (Oregon Freeze Dry.)
    They last over 25 years and actually taste good.
    Unfortunately they’re the most expensive option.
    Can be found on sale if you look.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My advice is get hard white wheat berries and a hand powered grain mill. Wheat berries keep 25 years if properly stored, are high in protein, nutrients, and are pretty complete food. You can also plant them and grow wheat. I buy 25 lb sacks for under $10 a piece.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm not into the long term storage, end of the world, teotwawki sillyness, but I digress.

I do however like to pickle peppers. You can get into the other weird stuff she talks about if you want, but this is a very informational video on what and how you can start canning food items.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My advice is get hard white wheat berries and a hand powered grain mill. Wheat berries keep 25 years if properly stored, are high in protein, nutrients, and are pretty complete food. You can also plant them and grow wheat. I buy 25 lb sacks for under $10 a piece.

Dave

They have them here with free ship if a plus member as well as lots of other things

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I'm not into the long term storage, end of the world, teotwawki sillyness, but I digress.

I do however like to pickle peppers. You can get into the other weird stuff she talks about if you want, but this is a very informational video on what and how you can start canning food items.

I Can some things and also you can freeze in the jars as well look at the Ball Web Site for more info

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Dave

Where?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I go to the bishop’s storehouse for the church of LDS in Covington. I’m not a member of their religion but they have no problem selling things to anyone. They have lots of large cans of food, powdered milk etc for long term storage at reasonable prices. They’re not open every day though.

Dave

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    The 4patriots looks interesting, and I like grains. I may try some wheatberries.
    I've done some canning, really have no interest in large-scale production (yes, I'm lazy that way!) Would prefer to have ready-made, prepackaged stuff we could throw in the trucks and go.
    I didn't think about the Mormons - we've got a friend who is Mormon, he could probably help us with the Bishop's storehouse near here. Will have to check into it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You can, but it defeats the purpose of canning.

I do it for things I am going to use that are not long term. That was put there so the info was out there. Not many know that the option is there and that lots of them are freezer safe.
    Canning is only stated good for a year and a half freezing is a year.
    Just another option over bags

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And you mentioned canning that is not recomemneded for long term.

That just goes to show that you did not comprehend what I posted, nor did you watch the video I posted...

The way I do my canning is for long term storage, but I typically eat it before then, since I mainly can peppers... to eat.

The video I posted is entirely about water bath canning and pressure canning for long term storage.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    you can buy home freeze dryers for under $3k these days. give it a few months and the prices are likely to drop.
    with the amount of airgas/paraxair depots in the region L-N2 is easily accessible if you go that route.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That just goes to show that you did not comprehend what I posted, nor did you watch the video I posted...

The way I do my canning is for long term storage, but I typically eat it before then, since I mainly can peppers... to eat.

The video I posted is entirely about water bath canning and pressure canning for long term storage.
    I do just that as well but what I am saying is the company that makes the products to do so recommends only a year and a half. .That is what Kerr and Ball state! I just wanted that out there. That yes you can do it for more but are going against what is recommended.
    I have some sweet pickles as well as hot green beans that are past that I will eat. As I am sure you have items as well that I am sure you not tossing out.
    But do not want to list info that goes against what they recommend and have them start out doing things wrong

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom