Venison question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Over the weekend I was helping an old man clean out two refrigerator/freezers. Way in the back of one of them I pulled out a large chunk of venison roast. He has the bag marked "1/18/18" and it is (or was) a fresh kill that he processed himself, threw in the freezer, and must have forgotten about this particular cut. He swears the meat is still good after two years since it has remained frozen since processed and said I could have it, but I'm a bit weary. It was packaged in THREE large ziplock freezer bags and nothing else. It actually looks okay, only a couple small spots where it looks to have freezer burn. Anyway, anyone here with more experience know if this meat is still safe to eat? I have never kept venison frozen for longer than about 6-12 months before, and I always vacuum seal mine. I'm sort of thinking that while it is still safe to eat after two years, the quality of the meat may not be very good. Thoughts? Thanks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's going to taste like shoe leather and I personally wouldn't bother with it.

Assuming he didn't have a sub-zero freezer, the meat is most likely tainted.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I have no problem cooking and eating meat that Ive had for up to three years. Ive also got a pretty good upright deep freezer, and breakdown and prep my own meat. I'd defrost it for 24hrs in buttermilk, then crockpot for at least 12hrs with a little coffee or stock, and of course seasonings and veggies of your choice.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Should be OK---I've used venison frozen 2 yrs. or more provided is was fresh frozen and not cooked and
    partially eaten and then frozen ( left overs ).

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I cooked some from a few years ago recently, it was fine and tasty and I'm a little picky. I'd cut away the freezer burn and cook it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Not a fan of bags but 2 years in a deep freeze is usually safe. There are tons of people that will say it will be bad but if it’s not showing signs of excess freezer burn it’s probably good. I’m currently eating a shoulder roast that I put up November 2018. Fresh or frozen, shoulders go in the crockpot.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Thanks, y’all. I should clarify that it was not in a deep freezer. Just a regular old refrigerator/freezer combo that most people have in their kitchens. I’m gonna give it a go. I’ll let y’all know how it comes out. Plan to let it thaw, cut the two little sketchy looking spots off, then let it sit in buttermilk for 12 hours or so and then let it slow cook in a crock pot for another 12 hours. Have a feeling it will be delicious. And since I’m out of venison myself, I’d be silly to let this 3-4 pound chunk go to waste. Happy Mardi Gras!

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    For anyone wondering, the venison was fine. Came out tender and delicious! Should have leftovers for at least a couple of days.

I thawed/soaked it in buttermilk for 36 hours, rinsed and dried it, cooked it in a slow cooker for 8.5 hours with fresh mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and all the seasonings I love. Also added a large can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of beef broth. Served it over Amish egg noodles. Quite yummy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom