Smith and Wesson 627 Pinto, Info Needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    IMG_20190922_120248.jpgIMG_20191102_194236.jpg

With the pinto being the two-toned revolver, what's the story on these?

The back story is I wanted a 2nd revolver to serve as a backup to my primary competition revolver. I was told in no uncertain terms that my backup needed to be identical to my primary.

They are both PC 627-(probably)5's, I know they're the same iteration. I had the bead blasted stainless for about a year and then picked up the pinto. They seemed identical except for the finish. Everything on the pinto fit a lot tighter than the stainless, and there was no chamfer on the cylinder of the pinto. It has since been chamfered, but it's still tight.

There isn't much online about these except that the pinto with an un-fluted cylinder is a little more common than the one I have. Neither of which are common enough to have solid information available.

Any info would be appreciated.

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I read that too, but this one looks like it was planned to be two-toned. It's stainless steel coated with whatever they use to make it black and then polished where it isn't black.

It's difficult to see how they did the finish work like this on accident.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm a card-carrying member of the S&WCA, and have owned several factory-lettered pintos in my collecting career.

Pinto guns were almost always special order guns. They were not, as one person suggested, made from leftover parts at the end of a production run, but were rather a deliberate (albeit unusual) factory finish option. In some cases the dealers would order a batch of them, and at other times they were just one-off orders from the factory.

Mike

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Is it a bad idea to be running this one in matches on account of collectability?

I honestly bought it because it was the cheapest 5" 627-5 PC. for sale on that particular site.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Is it a bad idea to be running this one in matches on account of collectability?

I honestly bought it because it was the cheapest 5" 627-5 PC. for sale on that particular site.

Tough to say. My gut tells me that you should go ahead and run it, because it's a new enough gun that it'll take quite a while to develop any sort of value as a collectible. That said, I wouldn't chop the barrel or do some other alteration to it that wouldn't be easily reversible.

I suspect that it's a fairly rare gun, but rare doesn't always mean valuable. There's a small but dedicated group of S&W collectors that go nuts for the pintos, but I see those collectors pursuing the older stuff more ... generally speaking, pre-1960's.

Some years back I had a early 1950's kit gun in a factory pinto configuration. In nickel or blue the gun would probably have been worth $600 or $700 ... but in the pinto configuration I got about $1200 for it. So it helped the value, but it didn't fund an early retirement for me.

mike

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Thanks again, Mike. It's easy to lose sight of why we buy them in the first place. It runs well, and I'll keep alternating between the pinto and bead blast.

Top Bottom