Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 18 1211 ... LastLast
    Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

List of gun owners in the US?

Iíve had this conversation with quite a few gun owners over the years and Iím still surprised by what many believe and what they donít. Itís my belief that the US government has been attempting to compile a list of gun owners since the 90ís, when background checks became law. Many people say that thereís no way they can do that because of laws protecting citizens and yada yada. When the law part of the discussion arises I always ask about wiretapping laws and all the evidence that has surfaced over the years as to government agencies collecting all that we do on cell phones and computers. Iím amazed at the number of gun list doubters that also believe the government does indeed collect our electronic communications. So Iím wondering why anyone thinks the feds would break wiretapping and privacy laws regarding the entire populous and not compile information on firearms purchases and owners? It has come up here a time or two and I get the same reaction from a number of members. Iím just wondering if anyone is that naive or is it just that hard to believe our government could actually do anything of the sort.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/02/un-...#axzz6EyKmFZWA
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

The conspiracy theorist in me says that yes, the government absolutely wants to have a list of gun owners. Anyone with a pulse should know that there are well-funded elements in our society that absolutely want to turn the second amendment into a narrowly prescribed privilege. Look at the palpable excitement in Beto O'Rourke's eyes when he talked about confiscating weapons ... that should be a wake-up call for anyone that values freedom.

The problem is in the details. The government probably knows that I own guns, but which guns? There's absolutely no way to prove that I gun I bought on a 4473 last week, last month, or last year is still in my possession. That's part of why it's essential to resist universal background checks; that creates an administrative burden on gun owners to prove that they lawfully possess their guns, and not the other way around.

Some years ago Canada instituted a long gun registry. As one might reasonably predict, it was a spectacular bureaucratic failure that solved zero crimes and cost the government (and the a public) an ungodly sum of money. When the long gun registry was eventually scrapped, gun owners promptly started trading with one another to make the existing records useless. That was part of why the records were eventually destroyed (or, at least, the government claims to have destroyed them).

It's easy to move into tin foil hat territory when we're talking about this. My advice is that we keep pushing back on universal background checks for this very reason: there is no good reason why the government needs to have detailed records of who owns what.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Who cares if they have a list?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Why worry about something you can do nothing about---relax and enjoy life while you can!!!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I’ve had this conversation with quite a few gun owners over the years and I’m still surprised by what many believe and what they don’t. It’s my belief that the US government has been attempting to compile a list of gun owners since the 90’s, when background checks became law. Many people say that there’s no way they can do that because of laws protecting citizens and yada yada. When the law part of the discussion arises I always ask about wiretapping laws and all the evidence that has surfaced over the years as to government agencies collecting all that we do on cell phones and computers. I’m amazed at the number of gun list doubters that also believe the government does indeed collect our electronic communications. So I’m wondering why anyone thinks the feds would break wiretapping and privacy laws regarding the entire populous and not compile information on firearms purchases and owners? It has come up here a time or two and I get the same reaction from a number of members. I’m just wondering if anyone is that naive or is it just that hard to believe our government could actually do anything of the sort.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/02/un-...#axzz6EyKmFZWA
    Well my default position for years has been ‘well there are laws that prevent’ but you make a valid point. A list of ‘proceeds’ could be covertly collected from NICS similarly to what the NSA surveillance scandals.

Now I don’t know how NICS is structured but one reason the NSA got away with spying and likely continues is because the analysts and agents are bound by law to secrecy, and doing the right thing in some cases would be treason. Maybe NICS is the same way, I don’t know.

But I do know that NICS doesn’t know if I’m buying a 22lr revolver or an AR pistol. And they don’t know if I backed out of the purchase either.

Honestly at this point it’s a little late for me if there is a list, so now my goal is to continue to strive for electing strong pro-2A politicians, and giving weak sauce RINO’s hell.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

"They" monitor Firearm Forums and have forum members working with "them".

Marksman

User Info Menu

No surprise there....
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Some shops are paperless now. I wonder how that info is stored and or transferred? Privacy, just like true political choice is just an illusion. They all hang out in the same treehouse and continue to pass laws to remove power from the people.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Would it be too far a stretch to presume that the info on what firearms you buy can indeed be stored? For instance, you visit a retailer, get a background check, use a card of some sort to make the purchase once you’ve been cleared and go home with your new gun. Does anyone believe the item description on the credit or debit record will be so generic as to be unidentifiable as the firearm you purchased? Does anyone here really believe that info is not readily available to any agency at all? Same goes for online sales. It’s already been established that certain banking institutions are attempting to interfere with firearms sales in more ways than one, they already share/sell the info on what you purchase...and you agreed to it at some point. So, anybody putting two and two together here? It’s cool if you don’t care.
    Can’t say I’m surprised at some of the replies. I’ll just let folks wonder why I care. Just passing on info.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Who cares if they have a list?
    I don’t know. Ask any old Jew. Maybe they know.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...