Opinions?? Walther CCP M2 - Good choice for Wife/Girlfriend carry/defense pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    I didn't find much when searching the forum for a review of the Walther CCP M2, other than general issues with Walther that seem valid. Either way, I'm looking for a self-protection pistol and eventually CC pistol for my wife once she gets her CCL and a little more experience shooting. Main concerns are safety, reliability, her liking how it shoots so she practices more, and chambered in 9mm (most likely).

She's not particularly recoil shy, she shoots a 12 gauge or a 9mm and .40 pretty well in larger pistols, but has small hands and weighs about 125lbs. Obviously I want it to be a gun she enjoys shooting so she'll come to the range and practice more, which leads me away from LCR's/J-frames in .38 or other calibers. I think putting a large Hogue grip on a small revolver to mitigate recoil and bite might make it to bulky for her to carry around, but looking for opinions on that because I don't own any snubbies at the moment and haven't had a revolver in years. I'm thinking she'll be more accurate with an an autoloader than a snubby because of better sights, longer sight radius, etc and realistically how much she'll practices with it.

I'm pretty sure I want it to be chambered in 9mm, and the CCP M2 seems to check all the boxes, at least as far as I can tell only from reading stuff on the internet, never had one in my hands.

-- Anyone have any real experience with it, good or bad? Or better suggestions for something in 9mm that's a little more female friendly?

Ultimately it's going to come down to her shooting a few different options and picking which one fits her the best, but any opinions on the CCP M2 or other similar pistols in 9mm would be helpful. Is the gas system on the CCP something that makes it less reliable, even if cleaned and maintain properly? Is there something inherently wrong with the design, or is glock just a better choice due to all the new models/options, way more aftermarket support etc available? Thanks for chiming in.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    No real-world experience but have held one, and it felt great. Just make sure it's an M2 like you stated. The first gen is really hard to take down.

If you would like a alternative, S&W M&P Shield EZ is the same concept/type gun. Always been partial to M&P's and more aftermarket support like you said. They might even have a Performance Center model if you're thinking about that

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have one and have shot it. After a couple of hundred rounds I didn’t have any failures. I couldn’t get to reliably lock back on an empty magazine consistently with either of the included magazines.

It was reasonably accurate, very comfortable in my hand, and concealed well. The take down for cleaning was inconvenient but that is an administrative issue and not something that would be a problem while being carried or employed in self defense.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was also thinking the 380EZ or the 9mm EZ from S&W. They even make a performance center 380EZ.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ditto on the S&W 380EZ. I have one, and it's a real joy to shoot. And, true to form, it is much easier to manipulate the slide than most of the compact 380's and 9mm's.

Don't discount the importance of having *her* handle a number of firearms to figure out what fits her body geometry best.

Mike

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Go to a range where you can rent handguns. Let her shoot multiple guns. Then let her pick what she is comfortable with.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Owned a CCP M2 9mm at one time and feels good in the hands and shot well. The M2 is much easier to disassemble than the M1 version. Slide was fairly easy to rack compared to most other 9mm pistols. Definitely one for her to consider and shoot.
    With that being said, the M&P Shield EZ .380 and also 9mm are excellent shooters as well. Consider those.
    If you are in the Baton Rouge area, FRC Range has these models as rental pistols and she can go there an put rounds down range to be sure before purchasing anything. Good luck

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife started out with a 22 revolver, but after going through a women’s class picked the 9mm shield. She likes it I think because it fits her hands and is simple to operate.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    My wife started out with a 22 revolver, but after going through a women’s class picked the 9mm shield. She likes it I think because it fits her hands and is simple to operate.

The M&P Shield 9 (Standard version) is an excellent proven pistol. The slide on these can be stiff and “some” females have had trouble racking/operating the slide so keep that in mind. Maybe test out several of these at the range.

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    Thanks for all the feedback, will definitely check-out the FRC range and find out what she prefers to shoot and handle before making that decision. S&W EZ looks like a great option I had not considered.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Thanks for all the feedback, will definitely check-out the FRC range and find out what she prefers to shoot and handle before making that decision. S&W EZ looks like a great option I had not considered.
    If you can go to FRC on a Thursday night, ladies shoot for 1/2 price and FREE gun rentals!!!
    c1bd10654eb2ddc13930c1bde2205ca4.jpg

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One other little plug for the S&W 380EZ:

The 380EZ magazines work very much like many of the .22LR magazines, in that the follower has little finger pads on both sides of the magazine that make it really easy to depress the follower. I don't need any speedloader to quickly fill a mag with cartridges.

Mike

MattD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    The range/rental idea was the best suggestion.

I'd just like to point out that the .380 EZ comes with and without an external safety, I'm not sure about the 9mm version.

I have the external safety and had to send it back for a recall even though I never had the problem of the external safety being set to on while firing, even after 500 rounds so I still believe the problem was more of a grip issue by some people

My .380 EZ seems to prefer hotter loads but I like to shoot plates anyway, with the little bugger, so I use close to the high-end loads.

And yes, I have to place my shots in the top half of the plate to reliably drop them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I vote to take her to the range two or three times and let her shoot different handguns in different orders. Between what has been recommended above, I recommend a M&P Shield 2.0. I'd also recommend letting her shoot the P365 and a few of the smaller 9mm Glocks. Where/how she'll be carrying it matters. I suspect she'll like the 365 over the shield, but keep us posted!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I would have her go on ladies night and buy her what she likes.
    Also back when this was 1st posted my wife read the title and says is he sure he wants to buy a gun for his wife and girlfriend? Just the way she read the title

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    I would have her go on ladies night and buy her what she likes.
    Also back when this was 1st posted my wife read the title and says is he sure he wants to buy a gun for his wife and girlfriend? Just the way she read the title

HAHA that's funny, thanks for all the good recommendations.
    Wife thinks the slide on my Walther PPQ M2 is too hard to pull back regularly, but only more time at the range will tell. Her hands are on the small side, even for a female, but she seems to handle a pistol very well. The sig 365 looks really good, I want one for myself after researching it. SAS version looks bad-a, don't know how I'd do without a front sight though.
    Hopefully my one and only and I will be at FRC on Thursday to try out different pistols so she can keep forming her own opinion on what will work for her. Thanks to all

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If she is having issues with pulling the slide back S&W has the 380EZ and 9mm EZ lines that have easier slide pull back.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom