New Red Flag laws up for consideration

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    LA
    How do ya'll feel about having Red Flag laws here in our state?

HB471 by Representative Gary Carter

WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Provides for the seizure of firearms from persons who pose a risk of imminent injury to self or others

Current Status: Pending House Administration of Criminal Justice

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Another abused tool for divorce lawyers.

"Your honor, my client deserves the home, custody of the kids, and all of his 401K savings because she was so afraid of his abuse that she had to get a restraining order and have all his firearms seized.... No your honor, there was no actual evidence of abuse, but she felt there was the potential of abuse after I advised her of the possibilities."

"If your client does not agree to all of our conditions, my client will file a red-flag-law complaint and your client will loose his entire firearm collection."

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Accuser should be on open public record and held legally liable for false accusations as well as open for civil suit for same. Watch and see if they ever get that part right.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Accuser should be on open public record and held legally liable for false accusations as well as open for civil suit for same. Watch and see if they ever get that part right.

No.

Don't compromise, the law should not exist.

Taking someones guns without due process is ********. It is not "guilty until we figure out if we are going to charge you or not".

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you think that the courts and the police should be able to subvert the due process of law and the sixth amendment right to confront one's accusers in court, then it's fantastic.

Absolutely nothing good will come from that bill. It *should* die in committee, as it did last year, but we'll need to be vigilant to keep the RINOs from straying.

Mike

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Nope, no way. I agree with the above posts, no due process, no penalties for falsely accusing someone... How do you punish someone for simply having the potential to do something?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    What would stop this bad law from being amended in the future to expand the criteria for confiscation? These Red Flag laws are the *back door* that we have feared since a Nazi Germany law was translated and adapted in 1968.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What would stop this bad law from being amended in the future to expand the criteria for confiscation? These Red Flag laws are the *back door* that we have feared since a Nazi Germany law was translated and adapted in 1968.

Nothing needs to change for this law to be used for just about any sort of confiscation. That's the ironic beauty of the "red flag" ... there's no legal standard other than "I'm scared."

Mike

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As an American you have to wonder why the people that push these "Unconstitutional" laws do this? If the 14th Amendment doesn't matter (to them), then why does the 1st, or the 13th; for that matter? Are they implying that they only have to follow the Articles or Amendments they like? Seems like it.

The US Constitution is the "Supreme Law of the Land" as a whole! It is not, and should not be, allowed to be parsed and marginalized in parts by demagogues, ideologues, and/or bureaucrats.

Perhaps, if these types of people are asked which other parts of the US Constitution they would be okay with someone else watering down like the abolition of slavery, or the right for women to vote , would they be just as on board with that? It is the same thing.

I think it would be a good practice in these United States to have EVERYONE spend a day reading the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Articles from start to finish, as well as what it takes, what it took, and the mindset and reasons behind it to get it all done.

Just maybe, there would be a few less dummies in the country Hell bent on bringing it down!

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sadly this is by my representative. When I spoke with him about the possible abuse of such a law, his eyes glazed over and he could not comprehend what I was saying.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Based on the number of times I've seen PEOPLE repeatedly picked up against their will and brought to a hospital for evaluation by a doctor based only upon the "sworn" statement of their estranged spouse, mother/father, boy/girlfriend, I stand firmly in the NO corner when it comes to these red flag laws. The abuse of Orders of Protective Custody issued by coroner's offices is already bad enough, and with a law in place that doesn't forcibly take the person, just his dangerous toys, they'll claim it is "more humane."

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Based on the number of times I've seen PEOPLE repeatedly picked up against their will and brought to a hospital for evaluation by a doctor based only upon the "sworn" statement of their estranged spouse, mother/father, boy/girlfriend, I stand firmly in the NO corner when it comes to these red flag laws. The abuse of Orders of Protective Custody issued by coroner's offices is already bad enough, and with a law in place that doesn't forcibly take the person, just his dangerous toys, they'll claim it is "more humane."

If passed, this will be a complete fuster-cluck. Just the Unconstitutionality of such laws as they pertain to the 2A alone should dissuade their consideration, and your points are valid; and are proof that armchair psychological evaluations are predetermining guilt over innocence. Another defacement of the Constitution.

In the past, I have heard Louisiana Legislators openly admit they don't worry about the Constitutionality of Bills they pass, so there is that!

veezarza1

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2020
    Louisiana
    [h=2]What are red flag laws?[/h]They are state laws that authorize courts to issue a special type of protection order, allowing the police to temporarily confiscate firearms from people who are deemed by a judge to be a danger to themselves or to others.
    Often, the request for the order will come from relatives or friends concerned about a loved one who owns one or more guns and has expressed suicidal thoughts or discussed shooting people. The authorities may also request an order.

How long the guns are taken away under these “extreme risk protection orders” depends on the circumstances, and can usually be extended only after another court hearing. The orders also bar the person they cover from purchasing guns.

Top Bottom