What brand to use for your next AR build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oh but so fun!!

GdkvU1C.jpg

I'd only go shorter than 10" if I was doing a .300BLK gun. Btw, dats a big whisper pickle.

My 10.3 with a Sandman S is probably the same OAL.

49411490473_eff0a22675_b.jpg

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've tried to help one person diagnose issues with a new DD rifle at the range. Some things are better left to work on at the bench.

I only offer help if someone asks for it. Too many range commandos know better, even if they don't.

I enjoyed just watching the show.

But yeah I try not to get involved on fixing anything unless specifically asked. If anyone else is already ‘helping’ I can’t stand getting involved.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not planning on another build, have too many already. I used Rock River lowers on everything I have, simply because a gun shop in Tyler Tx stocked that brand. Absolutly no problems with them mil spec and everything in spec. I used different makers for uppers, from standard forged to billet , different brands triggers, none mil spec, and everything worked fine.

GentleBen

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Kinda question your list. No way top tier does not include JP Enterprises (JP Rifles) which builds some of the classiest and highest performing ARs out there.

And Rock River is a tried and true mid-tier brand that never lets you down RRA barrels are extremely accurate.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Kinda question your list. No way top tier does not include JP Enterprises (JP Rifles) which builds dome of the classiest ARs out there.

And Rock River is a tried and true mid-tier brand that never lets you down RRA barrels are extremely accurate.

JP's are game guns, too tight of tolerances on some parts and other parts that improve the function of the gun also reduce long term reliability requiring much more frequent replacement of parts. Fine guns, but I wouldn't take one as my battle rattle gun.

Also, this graphic is a MEME, it is not serious. There is no data to back it up and it was probably made by one guy only wearing underwear in his moms basement.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    JP's are game guns, too tight of tolerances on some parts and other parts that improve the function of the gun also reduce long term reliability requiring much more frequent replacement of parts. Fine guns, but I wouldn't take one as my battle rattle gun.

Also, this graphic is a MEME, it is not serious. There is no data to back it up and it was probably made by one guy only wearing underwear in his moms basement.

Some JP’s are game guns. They also make some duty guns.

Even the tightest AR isn’t so tight that it won’t function under adverse conditions. Reasons to avoid JP rifles for duty use would be adjustable gas blocks, lightweight BCG’s, and captured spring systems tend to cause issues.

GentleBen

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge

Good points. JPE is sweet. Yes, tightly wound.

As for go to type gun I’d always throw down with BCM.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Stubborn Mule makes some nice lowers... look up SMOS.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I'm using an Aero upper and lower for the 300 Blackout I'm about to start building. I used Anderson for my first build and it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger. The first AR-15 I bought was a DPMS and I've only had a couple of ftf over the 12 years I've owned it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm using an Aero upper and lower for the 300 Blackout I'm about to start building. I used Anderson for my first build and it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger. The first AR-15 I bought was a DPMS and I've only had a couple of ftf over the 12 years I've owned it.
    You’ll like the Aero set. I’ve done a few AR 10 and 15 rifles with those and they mesh perfect together. High quality stuff.

Southern Custom

Engraver
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2020
    Baton Rouge, La
    Just wrapped up an Aero .223 build. 500 rounds in and no hiccups. Just ordered a couple of lowers to have on hand. So far so good. They seem to have their manufacturing process down pat and their prices are still realistic. If I could ever get my son off the gun maybe I could shoot it.

Attachments

• AD94B341-C099-4565-90C3-B46F36168C32.jpg
      AD94B341-C099-4565-90C3-B46F36168C32.jpg
      247.6 KB · Views: 85
    Top Bottom