New Charger Cop Cars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If any sort of traffic enforcement is the extent of your "fear" of police contact, you are so far out of the target audience it isnt funny. If a minor police encounter doesn't have a real possiblity of you facing serious felony time, relax. Drive safe, don't drink and drive, and you will be just fine.

Except for those camera tickets, those suck and I hate them.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    its not about the money! They are for your safety. The government is here to help!

:biglaugh:

Michael Berry was talking about his experience with the traffic cam people while he was on the Houston City council last week. Sadly it only proved many of our suspicions to be right at least in the wonderful city of Houston concerning traffic cams.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've been getting those ole LE depts for 58 years of driving without getting stopped for violations. I'm making them go broke. I guess I'm doing something right. Be safe out there.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If any sort of traffic enforcement is the extent of your "fear" of police contact, you are so far out of the target audience it isnt funny. If a minor police encounter doesn't have a real possiblity of you facing serious felony time, relax. Drive safe, don't drink and drive, and you will be just fine.

Except for those camera tickets, those suck and I hate them.

I'm safe here where I live since that guy transferred from Pride to down south. :D

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Who’s attacking positions? What? What did I miss? Oh darn...
    I was only gone for a minute

4c1cdb4fe946f463fb94acdb2cc02ac1.jpg

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Who’s attacking positions? What? What did I miss? Oh darn...
    I was only gone for a minute

4c1cdb4fe946f463fb94acdb2cc02ac1.jpg

Well I’ve never been accused of being the best communicator, but I think the point I have made is for decades using unmarked vehicles for traffic enforcement was so rare that if you were being stopped by an unmarked car there was a chance some criminal was attempting to take advantage of you, so for years police have said if it happens find a safe place to pull off and if you have a phone call 911.

This was an effective strategy to fight this scourge of imposters catching vulnerable people off guard, now you have departments coast to coast starting to utilize these unmarked cars to punish people ‘without integrity’ ignoring the fact that this trend will result in either excessive 911 calls or criminals suckering more citizens to stop because it’s becoming a common strategy to go after aggressive or dangerous drivers.

But let’s be honest it’s easier to say you’re moving goal posts or ignoring questions whenever two people struggle to have a meeting of the minds.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don't think anyone is accusing individual cops of making money off of tickets. There are lots of departments, towns and cities are ticket mills and a major revenue source for the government that they are a part of.

"The number of Louisiana towns, villages and small cities in which fines make up at least half their revenues has risen from 15 in 2007 to more than 25 in 2018, according to a review by The Advocate of annual state audits of local finances.

For 60 other municipalities, fines and forfeitures account for more than 30 percent of government revenues. That’s up from 28 in 2007.

And 194 of the state’s 304 incorporated cities, towns and villages raise more in fines and forfeitures than they do in property taxes, according to latest financial audits."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_baf2b54c-3b7a-11e9-be3c-cb983a12c2d6.html

I would consider almost 2/3's of the state's incorporated cities, towns and villages with fine collection rates that high to be rampant abuse of power by the government.

Damn 10 years ago when I was a young accountant doing my first few muni-audits I thought things were bad.

Because I had a minute and this is an issue I feel strongly about.

I went back and looked up the first Muni-Audit I worked on. I won't give you all the details, but this is an infamous small town in Tangipahoa Parish for bird dogging the speed limit signs where within a thousand feet or so the speed drops multiple times from 55 to 35 (maybe 25 I just can't remember). Their revenue Numbers are as follows

Taxes 120,355
    Lic., Permits & Fees 80,184
    Intergovernmental 31,281
    Fines & Forfeitures 300,035
    Sani Services 35,864
    Fema 17,294
    Interest Income 1,121
    Other Revenue 9,911
    Total Revenue 596,675

Its worth noting that, that years Police Department Expenditures were $311,937 also making up for more than half of their spending.

Additionally that year they sold a decommissioned unit to a family member of a management level employee which if you are unaware is a major No No.

A couple take-a-ways...

Yes in many instances smaller towns use ticket revenue to fund their police force. Even if the police don't feel like the recipients of those funds.

Its also worth noting often times these officers made between $9-14 an hour to provide their services to the municipality. Standard police overtime standards (or lack there of were followed) so the officers only saw the benefit of being employed (if you could call it that) as a perk of writing so many tickets.

So when I point this stuff out, I'm not mad or accusing the officers of any wrong doing. They are given a directive and they do their job, for far less than they deserve, but the problem still remains this corrupt little fiefdom and hundreds of others like it pay for their government services off the backs of people passing through. Go back and look at the tax numbers $120,355. My neighborhood produces that in Ad Valor em each year. Broken down it looks like this sales 89,590, Ad-V 13,627, and pub franchise 17,138.

And in case anyone thinks in sharing privileged information this is all posted on the State Auditors website for all the world to see. The problem is hardly anyone ever looks for it.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It should be noted that the officers out doing traffic in unmarked cars are wearing full uniforms. I’ve never personally ran across someone impersonating an officer while wearing a full uniform. Wether people agree or disagree, the unmarked units are useful for traffic enforcement and they are not going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It should be noted that the officers out doing traffic in unmarked cars are wearing full uniforms. I’ve never personally ran across someone impersonating an officer while wearing a full uniform. Wether people agree or disagree, the unmarked units are useful for traffic enforcement and they are not going away.

I was hoping someone would mention that.

1. How do I verify that you are in uniform before I stop?

2. Once I stop at night, because of the tactics used for officer safety. I wouldn’t be able to identify your uniform until you had the drop on me. Which is fine if I can see the decals on your car when attempting to make the stop.

3. Additionally in many small towns an embroidered or screen printed polo and a pair of dickies pass for full uniform. I happen to know someone with a screen printer. If I was so inclined we could make fake uniforms with very little effort.

It’s more important than ever to do everything in your power to know who you are dealing with when you encounter someone you do not know, and using unmarked cars on traffic detail puts the public at a disadvantage.

Some of you guys might not be able to relate but I travel through a lot of places where your closest packi-sack or well lit parking area is miles away, coincidently enough those are the areas where LEO uniforms are the most lax. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I was hoping someone would mention that.

1. How do I verify that you are in uniform before I stop?

2. Once I stop at night, because of the tactics used for officer safety. I wouldn’t be able to identify your uniform until you had the drop on me. Which is fine if I can see the decals on your car when attempting to make the stop.

3. Additionally in many small towns an embroidered or screen printed polo and a pair of dickies pass for full uniform. I happen to know someone with a screen printer. If I was so inclined we could make fake uniforms with very little effort.

It’s more important than ever to do everything in your power to know who you are dealing with when you encounter someone you do not know, and using unmarked cars on traffic detail puts the public at a disadvantage.

Some of you guys might not be able to relate but I travel through a lot of places where your closest packi-sack or well lit parking area is miles away, coincidently enough those are the areas where LEO uniforms are the most lax. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I know what you are getting at, but I guarantee if I am behind you at night and turn on these new lights, you won’t be able to see markings on the car. The LED technology is amazing now

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I know what you are getting at, but I guarantee if I am behind you at night and turn on these new lights, you won’t be able to see markings on the car. The LED technology is amazing now

But I will have likely already gotten a look before you flipped them on. Most decals have reflective properties so even if you are off in a dark spot and the colors don’t contrasts very much it’s easy to pick up at night.

But no doubt today’s lighting tech is out of this world. Today’s LED’s pull extremely low amperage and create unspeakable amounts of light with very little heat. Thirty years ago you would need a generator to creat enough electricity and then you would have to worry about burning the paint off the roof.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But I will have likely already gotten a look before you flipped them on. Most decals have reflective properties so even if you are off in a dark spot and the colors don’t contrasts very much it’s easy to pick up at night.

But no doubt today’s lighting tech is out of this world. Today’s LED’s pull extremely low amperage and create unspeakable amounts of light with very little heat. Thirty years ago you would need a generator to creat enough electricity and then you would have to worry about burning the paint off the roof.

It I pull behind you at night in a fully marked slick top, all you will see is headlights and flashing blue and/or red lights. You probably won’t even be able to tell what color my car is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It I pull behind you at night in a fully marked slick top, all you will see is headlights and flashing blue and/or red lights. You probably won’t even be able to tell what color my car is.

Yep

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Correct but you are far more likely to have passed by in an opposing lane or been broadside to me before you ever turn your light bar on.

Listen I’m not trying to be a know it all but I log more miles in the dark than most Americans do in daylight and dark. If you slip up behind me and light me up. It’s likely that you’ve got the wrong guy or I fell asleep at the wheel.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Correct but you are far more likely to have passed by in an opposing lane or been broadside to me before you ever turn your light bar on.

Listen I’m not trying to be a know it all but I log more miles in the dark than most Americans do in daylight and dark. If you slip up behind me and light me up. It’s likely that you’ve got the wrong guy or I fell asleep at the wheel.

Don’t worry. I’m sure I’m not the only one here who doesn’t view you as a know it all.

How much more likely are you to be pulled over by someone who passed you or was broadside? Give me some numbers. How many traffic stops are there a year? How many at night? How many turned around before pulling someone over at night?

Since you know this is a prevalent problem, you should be able to state how many reports a year there are of people being pulled over by an impersonator?

From personal experience, I can tell you the overwhelming majority of traffic stops I’ve conducted at night have been my pulling up behind someone. A very small percentage involved me making a u-turn or me being stopped and pulling behind them after they’ve passed. My real world experience does not agree with your “far more likely” conclusion.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Don’t worry. I’m sure I’m not the only one here who doesn’t view you as a know it all.

How much more likely are you to be pulled over by someone who passed you or was broadside? Give me some numbers. How many traffic stops are there a year? How many at night? How many turned around before pulling someone over at night?

Since you know this is a prevalent problem, you should be able to state how many reports a year there are of people being pulled over by an impersonator?

From personal experience, I can tell you the overwhelming majority of traffic stops I’ve conducted at night have been my pulling up behind someone. A very small percentage involved me making a u-turn or me being stopped and pulling behind them after they’ve passed. My real world experience does not agree with your “far more likely” conclusion.

I agree, that’s why I was making the point about never seeing the markings when the lights come on.

Top Bottom