Firearm and Ammo insurance.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    okay guys , i've been researching a good firearm and ammo insurance policy for firearms and ammo but the more i dig the more questions i have. Do you guys buy supplemental Insurance ? most home owner policies only cover a very small amount. Suggestions / Recommendations ?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For fire, theft, or flood, you should be on your personal property - whatever limit you have that set at. Keep good records with pictures and serial numbers (don't forget about optics and extras). However, if you have some rare, collectible, or very expensive guns, you should add a flier to your policy like anything else very expensive.

I have no idea how ammo would be covered or protected.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Eastern also. I couldn’t find any reviews where somebody actually made a claim but I sure didn't find any negative reviews either. They will cover guns, ammo, reloading equipment, scopes not attached to a weapon, etc...
    I used NRA for years but they aren’t good and are expensive!

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    USAA provides a standard “valuables” rider which they cap at $4000 for jewelry and firearms. Considering most folks I know the wife’s wedding ring alone is probably worth that, I typically suggest they get a stated value rider. Jared’s will do appraisals for a nominal fee on jewelry, then you provide the total to your carrier and get a rider for it. Guns are a little more difficult but if you can get them appraised (or even pull a book value on them) that’ll get you a starting point. I‘ve have to do a bunch of research on auctions to get replacement cost ideas for some of my antique stuff, but the newer stuff and optics I just use MSRP for a firearms rider. Having had stated value riders thru State Farm and usaa, those two DO NOT require you to provide inventories for stated value specialty riders. Just a general description of the items covered (not even a quantity- just “jewelry” or “baseball cards” or “comic books” or “guns”) so if they want a serial number inventory or copies of appraisals, tell them to go pound sand. Definitely don’t want that scanned or stuffed into a file I don’t control where some minimum wage secretary could sell it to some nefarious actors to augment their meager salary.

Ammo can’t really be insured. Sorta like insuring cigars; it’s intended to be destroyed. I could see if you’ve got some crazy stuff like cheytac brass getting a rider for that (the brass and casts), or certainly for reloading equipment, but not the expendable stuff which after a fire would be kinda difficult to prove you still had.

Worst case, an insurance broker might be a good person to talk to about policies rather than your typical captive agent (ie State Farm, usaa, farmers, etc, whom can only sell policies from one insurer).

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    you are absolutely right about homeowners policy ; thanks for the tip

Homeowners will have a very small limit on what they pay on firearms and jewelry. We have what is called a personal articles policy for the wife’s jewelry. I have not found an affordable policy to cover the guns I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom