Best pistol for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not being like everyone else is probably one of the worst reasons for going with non-glock. The only other reasons mentioned, fde and night sights, are available with glocks. If you don't like glocks or the M&P feels better, I get it. But one should never pick a self defense weapon because it is different than the majority.

This.

The M&P is a great platform, and it is what got me into shooting polymer pistols. The 1.0 series guns had a terrible trigger reset, though, and it was one of the only times in my life that I've bought aftermarket components (an Apex trigger and sear, in that case). The 2.0 cleaned that up nicely.

I shoot Glocks now, but that's only because Glock does a better job of supporting its customers directly (vis-a-vis the GSSF, armorer's training, etc.). Both are superb platforms that I'd go into battle with.

If I was starting fresh, I'd probably start with a Glock 17 or 19. Affordable, as reliable as the day is long, parts are readily available, and the manufacturer stands behind their products 100%.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The best pistol for self defense is the pistol you are most proficient with.

There are over a dozen wonder 9 striker guns that will do well in a self defense roll. Pick one, seek training, practice often, carry it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are so many quality and reliable guns out there these days it's hard to say what is "the best". A lot of that will come down to what fits your hand best and how they feel while shooting. I would rent some at the range or try a buddy's gun if possible. As far as my opinion, after many years of carrying Glocks I have been carrying a Sig P365 for the last 2 years. I have just over 1000 rounds through it and it has been flawless with every random bit of range ammo thrown into it as well as 147gr HSTs. If you are looking for a fairly compact option with great capacity I highly recommend it. For something a little bigger the Glock 19 still holds a place in my heart. Good luck in your search!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom