Best pistol for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm. Holds 15 rounds and can also use the 17 round mags. Feels amazing in the hand. Same size as the Glock 19 and just as reliable. Can be found for well under $500 if you do your due diligence. Comes in the 3.6" and 4.0" barrel length. Accessories are readily available.
    If you plan on concealing inner waistband it could be a little rough on the skin, due to the new texture of the grip unless you wear an under shirt.

If the S&W M&P pistols were as reliable as Glocks they should be getting some of the Federal LEA Contracts since they are Made in America.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    If you don’t have time to try out a few guns at a range for fit then you likely don’t have time to practice with the one you buy either.
    A good pistol for self defense requires that it fit you well as a shooter and that you consistently practice with what you do buy.
    Without these things may I suggest you just carry a brick?
    You’ll likely be more proficient with it than a pistol and you are less likely to hurt yourself or innocent bystanders with it.

https://brick.com/utility-size-brick

I find their utility brick in slate gray to be an excellent option with the bonus in that it looks soooo tacticool.

Last edited:

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    If you don’t have time to try out a few guns at a range for fit then you likely don’t have time to practice with the one you buy either.
    A good pistol for self defense requires that it fit you well as a shooter and that you consistently practice with what you do buy.
    You’ll likely be more proficient with it than a pistol and you are less likely to hurt yourself or innocent bystanders with it.

I find their utility brick in slate gray to be an excellent option with the bonus in that it looks soooo tacticool.
    LOL That s funny! Not really necessary but really funny!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You can get a M&P9 for dirt cheap for a quality handgun, the M&P9 2.0 price still isn't bad if you what the latest/greatest from them. I have a handful of M&P's, I am waiting for the CORE 2.0 to pick up my next one.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Get yourself a Glock or a CZ. I friend of mine who was a Navy Seal (now deceased) told me that on every operation he was part of he carried a CZ, not plastic.

Last edited:

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola

I'm not an idiot I can point and shoot a gun... but thanks. Ya it might not be “the perfect fit most comfortable....” but it will get the job done.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    $5-600? Buy a Glock 17 or 19.

Spend $100-150 and take an intro pistol class from a reputable instructor.

I'm fairly certain FRC Range in Baton Rouge teaches courses and will allow you to try out multiple guns throughout the class.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm not an idiot I can point and shoot a gun... but thanks. Ya it might not be *the perfect fit most comfortable....* but it will get the job done.

No offense intended, this isn’t something you learn by watching.

If you have experience shooting handguns disregard my requests for caution.

It’s not difficult but it’s not something I suggest expecting to learn under duress if at all possible. Even competent shooters struggle to put hits on target under duress.

If you need the gun and use it for the first time ever and say maybe you limp-wrist it (it happens to competent adult males too) you could jam the gun and not having any experiences clearing jams you now have an expensive brick.

If you feel strongly enough that you need a gun burn an afternoon and at the very least learn the bare minimum. Hold, load, shoot, clear malfunctions, and reload. That’s the absolute bare minimum.

Classes would be highly recommended but if you can’t do the bare minimum... well I’ll pray for you brother.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm not an idiot I can point and shoot a gun... but thanks. Ya it might not be *the perfect fit most comfortable....* but it will get the job done.

Well in your own words:
    New to firearms. Looking to soak up some knowledge.

So don't get too caught up in how people may come across. They are trying to help you, even if their tact may not come across as you would like. We've had some stupid things from come from people on here. Most guys on here will bend over backwards to help someone and occasionally get burned. Just be a bit patient about the forthcoming info. You will get mixed advice and approaches on what you are trying to do.

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    No offense intended, this isn’t something you learn by watching.

If you have experience shooting handguns disregard my requests for caution.

It’s not difficult but it’s not something I suggest expecting to learn under duress if at all possible. Even competent shooters struggle to put hits on target under duress.

If you need the gun and use it for the first time ever and say maybe you limp-wrist it (it happens to competent adult males too) you could jam the gun and not having any experiences clearing jams you now have an expensive brick.

If you feel strongly enough that you need a gun burn an afternoon and at the very least learn the bare minimum. Hold, load, shoot, clear malfunctions, and reload. That’s the absolute bare minimum.

Classes would be highly recommended but if you can’t do the bare minimum... well I’ll pray for you brother.

Worse case scenario, It becomes a brick! At least it started off with a lot of potential. Though I would say at least 99% chance that if you give me almost any working firearm and I need to shoot a close range target one time its going to work. And for that 1% (or less) well then I resort to your brick strategy.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Inexperienced gun owners can shoot a family member or someone that lives close.
    Even one with lots of time into the sport can have problems under stress.
    Just pray and spray is a bad thing.
    My wife was attacked by a dog it went for her 1st. I had to draw and could not in a safe manner get a shot at the dog. So I did not shoot at all.
    We were able to retreat. Even a warning shot may have shot the home across from mine or some other person or even my wife.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Worse case scenario, It becomes a brick! At least it started off with a lot of potential. Though I would say at least 99% chance that if you give me almost any working firearm and I need to shoot a close range target one time its going to work. And for that 1% (or less) well then I resort to your brick strategy.

Not sure you know any of the details about the Texas church shooting. The guy who stopped the shooter with a bullet to the skull was aiming for his chest. He was a recently retired FBI agent with a wealth of experience with a handgun.

I say that to point out the difficulties of making shots count even for guys who spend a lot of time using and training with firearms. I’m not here to say you can’t or you won’t be able to, I’m telling you it’s harder than they make it look in the media.

Also worth noting you are not ‘shooting to kill’ you are shooting to incapacitate. Your first shot may kill a person but they may not know they are dead yet. Another words you need to be prepared to shoot as many times as it takes to stop a threat.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    May have been mentioned above. “Best” is subjective. “Sufficient” is one you’re comfortable and proficient with, have confidence in, and frequently practice not only in static range time but also under duress / stress. This can be simulated (on a permissible range) by doing some pushups or jumping jacks, then (carefully) drawing while out of breath and trying to put rounds on target. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom