Best pistol for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    Hey guys what is the best gun for self defense? Like quick draw and reliability?

- $500-600 range

Last edited:

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    Like car shopping, you have to go gun shopping. What works for me might not do well for you. :)

No time. I’m just planning to order one online in the next day or 2. So anecdotal experience is great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Glock 19.

Of course, this advice is given knowing absolutely nothing about you, your situation, budget, etc.

what is it that you personally like about the glock 19?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ok so order on line and pick up at FFL. But still have to go to gun store to pick up.
    If getting a Semi-Auto of any kind made sure it fits your hand,size? Can rack slide etc.
    Revolver also the same thing to big small ease of use? Better go look see unless this is like buying some cans of Spam and Tuna for you.........................
    Edit if it is just to know you have a gun, TP, Canned Goods Etc. Just grab one here from the Market Place

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Two very reliable pistol brands are Glock and HK. YMMV
    The 9mm versions are very popular.

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    Ok so order on line and pick up at FFL. But still have to go to gun store to pick up.
    If getting a Semi-Auto of any kind made sure it fits your hand,size? Can rack slide etc.
    Revolver also the same thing to big small ease of use? Better go look see unless this is like buying some cans of Spam and Tuna for you.........................
    Edit if it is just to know you have a gun, TP, Canned Goods Etc. Just grab one here from the Market Place

Yup thats basically what I am looking at. Market place is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Sig Sauer P226, P229 in 9mm. H&K P30 or VP9 in 9mm. Glock 19. Can't go wrong with any of these.

Thanks! Ill be on the look out!

- - - Updated - - -

Sig Sauer P226, P229 in 9mm. H&K P30 or VP9 in 9mm. Glock 19. Can't go wrong with any of these.

What exactly is it about the 9mm caliber? Just curious.

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    Here is another issue I come up with. OK I like to buy things second hand but often times comparing prices it seems like people are listing their used guns at steep premiums over brand retail price. Is there a reason for this?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Here is another issue I come up with. OK I like to buy things second hand but often times comparing prices it seems like people are listing their used guns at steep premiums over brand retail price. Is there a reason for this?

Those sit ones that are priced right move.
    9mm is the 38 of yesteryear.
    Most common lots of ammo and most produced so priced cheap and plentiful it is also one of the calibers used by NATO
    or
    [UncleJoe] Buy A Shotgun [/UncleJoe]

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

PM sent.

Manbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    nola
    Those sit ones that are priced right move.
    9mm is the 38 of yesteryear.
    Most common lots of ammo and most produced so priced cheap and plentiful it is also one of the calibers used by NATO
    or
    [UncleJoe] Buy A Shotgun [/UncleJoe]

Got ya! makes sense need to get the cheapest rounds too in bulk.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    No time. I’m just planning to order one online in the next day or 2. So anecdotal experience is great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

what is it that you personally like about the glock 19?

Glock 19 is perhaps the most popular civilian personal defense handgun of the past decade. It is known for accuracy & reliability and the Glock 19 holds its value very well. Glock gives military & first responder discounts. I've purchased a Glock 19, carried it for a couple years, and then sold it for a profit...very few other firearms can say that.

I served in the army for 20 years with multiple combat deployments and my Glock 19 is my 'go to' handgun.

Extra magazines are reasonably priced and available via multiple online & brick / mortar stores. Virtually all holster makers have a version for the Glock 19. If you want night sights or other add-ons, Glocks are highly customizable.

Buy a Glock 19. If you don't love it, sell it for a profit at the end of Trump's second term and the panic buying starts again.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Hey guys what is the best gun for self defense? Like quick draw and reliability?

- $500-600 range

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm. Holds 15 rounds and can also use the 17 round mags. Feels amazing in the hand. Same size as the Glock 19 and just as reliable. Can be found for well under $500 if you do your due diligence. Comes in the 3.6" and 4.0" barrel length. Accessories are readily available.
    If you plan on concealing inner waistband it could be a little rough on the skin, due to the new texture of the grip unless you wear an under shirt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom