ammo shortages

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been doing my fair share. Loaned/sold guns to friends, gave them basic firearm instruction, made sure they knew the main rules of muzzle and trigger discipline, and treating a gun like it's always loaded. Besides that, they really need time at the range to get used to the muscle memory or build some etc.

That's awesome, thank you for doing that! I actually had the thought about selling a firearm if one of my friends needed one, but I know I'm not qualified to do anything but give the standard firearms safety lesson. And I agree with you, it's about practice and feeling comfortable, which requires range time. I just feel like fear, lack of knowledge about a newly purchased firearm, and quarantine stress is a bad combination.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's awesome, thank you for doing that! I actually had the thought about selling a firearm if one of my friends needed one, but I know I'm not qualified to do anything but give the standard firearms safety lesson. And I agree with you, it's about practice and feeling comfortable, which requires range time. I just feel like fear, lack of knowledge about a newly purchased firearm, and quarantine stress is a bad combination.

I have a dozen friends looking for their first guns. All are business owners/professionals. One actually had his house burglarized in the BR area. I took my shotgun home from work to give to him and got him to buy a gun off another bayou shooter member. I have a dentist friend looking for a glock 19 or similar sized gun right now, and got two others to buy vp9's. Now they have a bigger problem. NONE of them can find ammo on the shelves and are asking me to dip into my stock pile. I sold one of my friends one of my AR's and threw in some ammo b/c it's hard to come by. Apparently my ammo stock pile was a smart thing to have, b/c I remember not being able to shoot shortly after the 2008 election. Ammo was scarce and I couldn't go to the range if I didn't have ammo.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyway, I had a thought: Is there anything we can do to help first time gun owners be safe and responsible? I know it's our own responsibility to be safe with our firearms, but the fact that a lot of these people are going to be unable (or unwilling) to go to the range to even familiarize themselves with their new firearm makes me want to put together a list of resources, or YouTube videos that you guys think are of good quality, or really anything. Probably a dumb idea, I don't even know how we would get the word out. Just making conversation on a day when I might normally try to head to the range!

I went out to Sherburne this morning, figuring that the place would be empty ... and even if it wasn't, that it would be easy to stay socially isolated.

I was right, mostly. There were a few obvious first-timers out there. While I was glad to see new people coming into the sport, I was saddened that they didn't seem to be taking safely seriously. No clearing of guns or calling "range cold" when they went down range, muzzle sweeping everything, etc.

I have never supported mandatory gun training, but I sure wish people would approach shooting with a more sportsman-like attitude. And yes, I did my best to make the range a safe place for all (by gently explaining the "range is hot" / "range is cold" protocol), so maybe it's OK that it was a teachable moment.

On the drive home, I had the exact same thought about a YouTube video explaining range safety. Something that someone could watch in, say, under ten minutes, and that would explain the basics.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ryan is the Range Open.
    I would love to come by and blow 500-600 rounds of ammo :eek3: and some Pew pew 22 as well. :rofl:
    Maybe have a BayouShooter range day :confused:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a dozen friends looking for their first guns. All are business owners/professionals. One actually had his house burglarized in the BR area. I took my shotgun home from work to give to him and got him to buy a gun off another bayou shooter member. I have a dentist friend looking for a glock 19 or similar sized gun right now, and got two others to buy vp9's. Now they have a bigger problem. NONE of them can find ammo on the shelves and are asking me to dip into my stock pile. I sold one of my friends one of my AR's and threw in some ammo b/c it's hard to come by. Apparently my ammo stock pile was a smart thing to have, b/c I remember not being able to shoot shortly after the 2008 election. Ammo was scarce and I couldn't go to the range if I didn't have ammo.

If you have friends in the Baton Rouge area that need some quality defensive or range 9mm ammunition for their new pistols let me know.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ammo shelves ain’t the only ones drying up. Online is getting much the same. Decent .40 ball is already 50 cents per round. Crazy

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/ammunition

These guys seem to have decent stock for the moment. I’ve bought a lot of ammo from them before

The local shops that cater to the fudds are raising prices. One shop listed dirty Russian 5.56 at nearly $0.60/rd. They won't last long if the pull a Cheaper Than Dirt move.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    The local shops that cater to the fudds are raising prices. One shop listed dirty Russian 5.56 at nearly $0.60/rd. They won't last long if the pull a Cheaper Than Dirt move.

Agreed.
    To this day I don’t do business with Cheaper Than Dirt.
    Fukcing panic gougers.
    I remember them all too vividly.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Agreed.
    To this day I don’t do business with Cheaper Than Dirt.
    Fukcing panic gougers.
    I remember them all too vividly.
    I heard that. I sent them an email asking them to remove my account as I no longer wanted to be in any way associated with them and why that was. They can say what they want, but I bet they lost in the long run.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I had a former co-worker text me, in his words, would I "manufacture" him some .45 and 5.56. This was the same guy that wanted me to machine a dozen 80% AR lowers "for his personal use". I don't think so!

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I purchased a new Sig P365 Monday of last week at a local shop. No rush going on there, but in a small E Texas town, in fact I had no I idea that there was a sudden demand on guns and ammo, I was really looking for a different model, but liked this one and they had a special running, so I took it. I had been planning one one of these Sigs for some time and things were just right that morning. Checked my ammo at home 3 1/2 cases of FMJ 9mm, not much defensive ammo, but enough for a couple of clips , mixed mfr. so went on line and learned of the shortage. I finally located some at a fairly decent price, but with delayed shipping which was OK as I am not hurting for ammo. Got the notice this morning that the 4 boxes fo 50 shipped. In the meantime I checked back with the local shop, and all he had was some aluminum and steel cased FMJ stuff. He has a Marlin 39a mountie on the shelf and I may look at it later.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Academy on airline had 223/556 for .35/round for brass in 420 round and 100 round packages, so you could get a decent amount with the 3 box limit. 7.62x39 was $.25/round in 100 round boxes. I also saw .380, 9mm and 54r, didn’t check prices. I didn’t buy any, I am good for now.

I had to make another run to academy. They had put out some more Winchester ammo. 22lr was $19.XX for 500 or 550 wildcat and 200 round 5.56 was 64.99. That is the cheapest I have seen any 5.56 online or in store that was in stock since this shortage started. They also put out some 50 round boxes of different types of 22lr.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    New Orleans, LA
    Top Bottom