Everything Corona! Latest News, Insights, Theories, Prognostications! Armegeddon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Biggest issue I’m seeing here is temperature control in a room where the patient has a fever, as they stated.
    Yet, it’s a solid start.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are some very brilliant people working on this. The Coronavirus Task Force is a machine! I would gladly accept Mike Pence as Trump's successor in 2024!

Now, what I would like to see is less commentary from Tony Fauci outside of the Task Force. He falls for the phony corrupt media's gotcha questions way too often! He is obviously a brilliantly educated man, but he is not skilled enough in avoiding shameless partisanship! These phony parasites use that poor bastard like a sanitary wipe!

It is both a shame and horrifying that many on the left hope this human death and economic destruction goes on through November!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Negative pressure for airflow control in hospitals.

https://youtu.be/p1hcDpzKrqY

Something most physical plant folks can work with.

There will be a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking after this is sad saga is over, but I am stunned that we don't conclusively know questions like;

How long does this virus stay aloft (with or without air flow)?
    How long does it stay alive on I-phones, light switches, tables, door handles, and toasters; and at what temperatures?

Now these are just examples, but come on. Wear a mask / Don't wear a mask! Wash your hands it's the secret! Stay away from each other! Where are they basing this stuff from? Where is the hard data? No one is compiling these answers?

What I mean is, there are literally hundreds of research firms, pharmaceutical companies, university med. schools, and others working around the clock to see who can come up with the magic bullet cure (mostly for the reward); but what the hell are other bio tech labs, university science departments, etc. doing if they are not working on the cure too?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There are some very brilliant people working on this. The Coronavirus Task Force is a machine! I would gladly accept Mike Pence as Trump's successor in 2024!

Now, what I would like to see is less commentary from Tony Fauci outside of the Task Force. He falls for the phony corrupt media's gotcha questions way too often! He is obviously a brilliantly educated man, but he is not skilled enough in avoiding shameless partisanship! These phony parasites use that poor bastard like a sanitary wipe!

It is both a shame and horrifying that many on the left hope this human death and economic destruction goes on through November!

Never let a crisis go to waste bruh.

Who needs fair play and honest reporting?What America needs is a media hell bent on destroying Trump, capitalism, and individual freedom.

I can’t wait to see their sullen little faces when we all go back to work and the American people go back to ignoring them.

And in November when Trump is re-elected, maybe they will all preform the mourning ritual of sati when they have the funeral for the Democrat party.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There will be a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking after this is sad saga is over, but I am stunned that we don't conclusively know questions like;

How long does it stay alive on I-phones, light switches, tables, door handles, and toasters; and at what temperatures?

Now these are just examples, but come on. Wear a mask / Don't wear a mask! Wash your hands it's the secret! Stay away from each other! Where are they basing this stuff from? Where is the hard data? No one is compiling these answers?

What I mean is, there are literally hundreds of research firms, pharmaceutical companies, university med. schools, and others working around the clock to see who can come up with the magic bullet cure (mostly for the reward); but what the hell are other bio tech labs, university science departments, etc. doing if they are not working on the cure too?
    Well, I would follow the lead of those healthcare workers that are dealing with it every day. Not what a friend of a cousin whose wife knows a healthcare worker who works in an office doing medical billing. I realize there are many folks who wanna decide what the right play is but unless they’re being completely objective, they’re likely going to go the wrong way. Case in point: Center for Disease Control, the most trusted agency in the world of pandemics and the bugs that cause them, lost all objectivity and misdirected a nation due to what they perceived as a shortage of protective gear. Even when the rest of the world, along with the World Health Organization showed logical objective evidence of the virus surviving in the air for hours, the CDC insisted it was not airborne and there was no indication for anything other than contact and droplet precautions. I’m not sure if they’ve amended their recommendations even now because I wrote them off for the time being, as have many of the physicians I work with. I can tell you that I’ve been exposed to multiple known and suspected corona patients in-house that later tested positive and have maintained proper PPE and hand washing and so far so good. I can also tell you that a handful of staff that I routinely work with who did not wear a mask during their shift have become ill and tested positive for Covid. Of those that did give direct care to Covid patients, all of them wore proper PPE during their time in the room with those patients. The problem with some theories about why masks aren’t always necessary is very simple. There are infected and contagious people walking around everywhere without any symptoms for the first few days to a week or more. Definitely enough reason for me to wear a mask in public and on the job. Apparently not enough reason for other folks.
    Remember, call this thing whatever scary name you want, it’s still a virus. It’s gotta play by microorganism rules. A virus has a little more playing field but still has to play by a set of rules.
    Wear gloves when handling anything things that have been handled by others. Wash your hands or use sani wipes or hand sanitizer after removing gloves. Don’t touch your face until you wash your hands. Don’t pick your nose or put your fingers in your mouth before washing your hands. Keep your mouth and nose covered when around other people outside of your home. Maintain some distance. Take care when entering your car after contact. I bag my gloves and mask before entering my car. I shop once a week for my family. I spray as much as I can down with disinfectant spray and let sit outside for a few minutes before wiping down and bringing in. I set up a couple of tables in the garage to do this. I pay special attention to my clothes and shoes when I get home. My scrubs from work get bagged every day and I wash them separately with Lysol laundry sanitizer just like always, but take extra care now to clean up after.
    This might sound like overkill to some, but if I never get infected in the face of daily exposure and none of my family gets infected, will I believe I went overboard? Will I resent taking every measure that I did? I don’t think so...I’m not eating any take out or food prepared by others either!
    As far as how long the virus survives outside a host, that’s been discussed here I believe and I’ve seen that information all over for weeks now. Even on stainless steel the virus can survive for days. (Depends on what medium it’s in, snot, spit droplets etc) on plastic and many porous materials it can survive for over a week. Sunlight and heat kills the virus outside of a host. It’s been found to survive up to 3 hours in the air.
    Closed spaces with little actual air circulation are the worst. Anybody catch the cruise ship reports? One ship had about 80% infection rate upon arrival to port. I didn’t see a 1 week follow up to that story.
    One last note, when using disinfectant/sanitizer on a surface you think could be contaminated, leave it wet with the product. Don’t immediately wipe it off. Even the high test stuff we use in the hospital spells it out for us, stating on the container how many minutes it takes to kill all. Many are 4-10 minutes. If the product dries, after the recommended time passes, spray again then wipe.
    Hope I covered enough for you Emp. Feel free to PM any other questions. Not trying to present myself as an authority on the subject, just very involved at a real world level.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

I see where you’re coming from.
    By and large I agree that the mainstream media is full of bias.
    Data through time will show just how big a public risk this all is.
    My post about ventilation is only concerning the medical industry.
    Most infectious disease docs say an even 7 or 8 exchanges is needed to clear a room.
    This is important in places with high illness traffic.
    After all, you don’t generally get admitted if you’re well.
    Other pressure precautions are in place in order to mitigate ancillary spread of airborne infection into other compartmentalized areas of general hospital traffic.
    Just thinking of hospitals.
    As far as sanitation, hospitals have their own protocols as well so longevity of viral viability is not as relevant.
    Basically, it’s clean every surface whenever you can.

As for public concers, there’s just not enough information to inform best practices yet.
    I do hope all the precautions are overkill.
    As for me, I do wear a respirator and gloves in public in addition to proper hand and face hygiene.
    It works for me (my wife’s pretty pissed about it but that happens over 30 years...)

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well, I would follow the lead of those healthcare workers that are dealing with it every day. Not what a friend of a cousin whose wife knows a healthcare worker who works in an office doing medical billing. I realize there are many folks who wanna decide what the right play is but unless they’re being completely objective, they’re likely going to go the wrong way. Case in point: Center for Disease Control, the most trusted agency in the world of pandemics and the bugs that cause them, lost all objectivity and misdirected a nation due to what they perceived as a shortage of protective gear. Even when the rest of the world, along with the World Health Organization showed logical objective evidence of the virus surviving in the air for hours, the CDC insisted it was not airborne and there was no indication for anything other than contact and droplet precautions. I’m not sure if they’ve amended their recommendations even now because I wrote them off for the time being, as have many of the physicians I work with. I can tell you that I’ve been exposed to multiple known and suspected corona patients in-house that later tested positive and have maintained proper PPE and hand washing and so far so good. I can also tell you that a handful of staff that I routinely work with who did not wear a mask during their shift have become ill and tested positive for Covid. Of those that did give direct care to Covid patients, all of them wore proper PPE during their time in the room with those patients. The problem with some theories about why masks aren’t always necessary is very simple. There are infected and contagious people walking around everywhere without any symptoms for the first few days to a week or more. Definitely enough reason for me to wear a mask in public and on the job. Apparently not enough reason for other folks.
    Remember, call this thing whatever scary name you want, it’s still a virus. It’s gotta play by microorganism rules. A virus has a little more playing field but still has to play by a set of rules.
    Wear gloves when handling anything things that have been handled by others. Wash your hands or use sani wipes or hand sanitizer after removing gloves. Don’t touch your face until you wash your hands. Don’t pick your nose or put your fingers in your mouth before washing your hands. Keep your mouth and nose covered when around other people outside of your home. Maintain some distance. Take care when entering your car after contact. I bag my gloves and mask before entering my car. I shop once a week for my family. I spray as much as I can down with disinfectant spray and let sit outside for a few minutes before wiping down and bringing in. I set up a couple of tables in the garage to do this. I pay special attention to my clothes and shoes when I get home. My scrubs from work get bagged every day and I wash them separately with Lysol laundry sanitizer just like always, but take extra care now to clean up after.
    This might sound like overkill to some, but if I never get infected in the face of daily exposure and none of my family gets infected, will I believe I went overboard? Will I resent taking every measure that I did? I don’t think so...I’m not eating any take out or food prepared by others either!
    As far as how long the virus survives outside a host, that’s been discussed here I believe and I’ve seen that information all over for weeks now. Even on stainless steel the virus can survive for days. (Depends on what medium it’s in, snot, spit droplets etc) on plastic and many porous materials it can survive for over a week. Sunlight and heat kills the virus outside of a host. It’s been found to survive up to 3 hours in the air.
    Closed spaces with little actual air circulation are the worst. Anybody catch the cruise ship reports? One ship had about 80% infection rate upon arrival to port. I didn’t see a 1 week follow up to that story.
    One last note, when using disinfectant/sanitizer on a surface you think could be contaminated, leave it wet with the product. Don’t immediately wipe it off. Even the high test stuff we use in the hospital spells it out for us, stating on the container how many minutes it takes to kill all. Many are 4-10 minutes. If the product dries, after the recommended time passes, spray again then wipe.
    Hope I covered enough for you Emp. Feel free to PM any other questions. Not trying to present myself as an authority on the subject, just very involved at a real world level.

Someone quote me so he can see this.

I will listen to your opinions on this because apparently you’re in healthcare. Do you believe if you are not coughed or sneezed on you are safe? As long as you don’t touch an item that has droplets on it and touch around your face? Can just someone breathing normal infect another person in a room? Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I will listen to your opinions on this because apparently you’re in healthcare. Do you believe if you are not coughed or sneezed on you are safe? As long as you don’t touch an item that has droplets on it and touch around your face? Can just someone breathing normal infect another person in a room? Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this.

He can't see what I post unless he chooses to, but from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/share-facts.html

Also worth reading:
    https://www.sciencealert.com/is-coronavirus-spread-by-talking-and-breathing

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I appreciate the material and they are all good reads. I get updated from the state daily but it’s always good to hear what people are seeing first hand. The CDC has rubbed me the wrong way during this event by putting out info before the information has been completely confirmed.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I appreciate the material and they are all good reads. I get updated from the state daily but it’s always good to hear what people are seeing first hand. The CDC has rubbed me the wrong way during this event by putting out info before the information has been completely confirmed.

FWIW, the CDC does make a disclaimer that these are recommendations and that they are still learning about the virus.

The real problem here is the people not listening and doing whatever they want. The big country club out here is a prime example. Members are still gathering at the club, swimming in the pool, having get togethers. Then when you call them out for it, they say they are not sick so bug off.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Yeah the really muffed the mask deal.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    FWIW, the CDC does make a disclaimer that these are recommendations and that they are still learning about the virus.

The real problem here is the people not listening and doing whatever they want. The big country club out here is a prime example. Members are still gathering at the club, swimming in the pool, having get togethers. Then when you call them out for it, they say they are not sick so bug off.

We still see people having BBQs etc

Just not worth it to me and should the worth those infecting themselves and others

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yep. I thought it didn’t make much sense when they said it but who am I lol

Yeah the CDC and the WHO shouldn’t be trusted without providing ample data to back their opinions. I’m not sure who is to be because they were supposed to be the unbiased experts so...

The shooter seems to be a good place for information. :D

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

JAMA is stating that coronavirus can maintain itself as a viable transmission vector upwards of three (3) hours in the air.
    When we cough, talk or just breathe we create particulate matter that is expelled via our mouth and nose.
    The size and density of these particles as well as the velocity they are ejected from our body varies by person and circumstance.
    Breathing is likely the least denominator in terms of spreading contagion with sneezing and coughing being more likely to eject smaller, finer particles longer distances.
    Then there are other factors like airflow in vicinity of the partculate matter expulsion, temperature, humidity and so many other factors that it boggles the mind.

In short, yes, you absolutely can catch coronavirus in the absence of direct aerosolization onto you from another person.
    It’s in the air and is highly contagious.
    You don’t have to touch a surface to get it.

Also take note of face touching, which is a highly effective route for contagion.
    Really, just count how many times an hour you touch your face or eyes.
    It’ll surprise you.

If you can wear a mask I’d say you should.
    I do.
    Gloves as well.
    And when you wash hour hands or sanitize surfaces, Magdump has nailed it.
    Don’t just think you can wipe and forget.
    Follow manufacturer’s instructions as to how long to keep it on the surface you’re cleaning.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    JAMA is stating that coronavirus can maintain itself as a viable transmission vector upwards of three (3) hours in the air.
    When we cough, talk or just breathe we create particulate matter that is expelled via our mouth and nose.
    The size and density of these particles as well as the velocity they are ejected from our body varies by person and circumstance.
    Breathing is likely the least denominator in terms of spreading contagion with sneezing and coughing being more likely to eject smaller, finer particles longer distances.
    Then there are other factors like airflow in vicinity of the partculate matter expulsion, temperature, humidity and so many other factors that it boggles the mind.

In short, yes, you absolutely can catch coronavirus in the absence of direct aerosolization onto you from another person.

Also take note of face touching, which is a highly effective route for contagion.
    It’ll surprise you.

I do.
    Gloves as well.
    Follow manufacturer’s instructions as to how long to keep it on the surface you’re cleaning.

Well luckily most of the people I have to contact at work is outside so maybe that will help. We also make sure we stay far back when communicating with people as well. The problem comes in when the officers have to arrest someone and transport them in the confined spaces of a Dodge Charger.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

It’ll surprise you.

I do.
    Gloves as well.

Where does one get masks in the current situation?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well luckily most of the people I have to contact at work is outside so maybe that will help. We also make sure we stay far back when communicating with people as well. The problem comes in when the officers have to arrest someone and transport them in the confined spaces of a Dodge Charger.

Stick em in the trunk, I guess, haha!

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Where does one get masks in the current situation?

Outside of the medical profession, I really don’t know.
    And even there folks are reusing their masks.
    Just look on YouTube for ways to decontaminate a used mask; there are docs around the country who are experimenting with this.
    A true eye opener.

It seems a cottage industry in making masks has cropped up.
    But there is no way of knowing efficacy of the product.
    I’d wager the paint departments at home improvement stores are also empty of masks.

Maybe feed stores for agricultural spray protection?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom