Everything Corona! Latest News, Insights, Theories, Prognostications! Armegeddon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Very interesting. I have doubts not knowing this guys background, especially when he said he didn’t know the term because he’s *not a physician*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Generally, when reading a medical article that states "because I’m not a physician," I usually stop reading and disregard all of it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just was outside working out with my fiance and two other couples that live in the same apartment complex as us and we had a cop stop and tell us that people had been calling in and complaining that we were working out too close.

He was really cool about it and encouraged us to continue working out, but to move a bit further away so people don't complain to them.

Surprisingly, none of us got tazed. I think he might have checked out the girls in sports bras, though :mamoru:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just was outside working out with my fiance and two other couples that live in the same apartment complex as us and we had a cop stop and tell us that people had been calling in and complaining that we were working out too close.

He was really cool about it and encouraged us to continue working out, but to move a bit further away so people don't complain to them.

Surprisingly, none of us got tazed. I think he might have checked out the girls in sports bras, though :mamoru:

Did you lose any liberty?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Did he ask for your papers

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Dudes probably a member here too boot, Next time put more toilet paper in you're sports bra so you can get a little more attention ???

:mamoru:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

You didn’t get tazed...

What did you bribe him? :rofl:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Did you lose any liberty?
    Nope, I scooted my yoga mat a few inches to the left and gave him a thumbs up.

Did he ask for your papers

Nope. He didn't even want to do a strip search. Weird.

Dudes probably a member here too boot, Next time put more toilet paper in you're sports bra so you can get a little more attention ???

:mamoru:
    Unlikely, but that'd be cool.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Very interesting. I have doubts not knowing this guys background, especially when he said he didn’t know the term because he’s “not a physician”

Well, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he’s a writer. And writers usually have sources. From the meat of his account, I’m gonna walk out a little further and say his source was a physician, possibly in the trenches and seasoned in Covid patients. Or not. But I can tell you many of us in the field have already bounced around ideas to deliver 02 to the body in a better way more suited to the disease process. Many of us immediately thought alternate gasses and even hyperbarics to correct for the hemaglobin issue and they’re trying it in Shreveport (LSU/ICU) lately. The other real news in his article is the success with treating early and using the zythromycin and Malaria prep to do what we can to treat the disease process rather than the symptoms in such an aggressive manner that we are doing more harm than good. I believe that part the most, as the treatment for ARDS always did go against everything I knew about ventilation. The settings are far above the thresholds or parameters I learned in school and in the hospital and when we started treating ARDS with lung popping pressure and turning people face down in the bed it was almost too unorthodox to follow doctor’s orders at times. Anyway, back on track, the article has a lot of merit in the medical areas, as far as the political Hype and stuff in there, all I can say is none of it would surprise me.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Ready to get a little small?

Doing some research, I find that the "experts" say the CoVID-19 virus is 300 nanometers in size. Don't worry about the math, it equates to 0.3 micrometers. That's really small (for all you laypeople)! :mamoru:

Anyhoo! I also looked into the filtration levels of a typical n95 mask specifically made by 3M. For the sake of this discussion, let's just assume the 3M n95 mask is the mac daddy of n95 masks. As the graph below indicates, the coveted n95 mask only filters 95% of particulates that are at least 0.3 microns. Also for the sake of this discussion a micron and a micrometer are different words that mean the same.

What does it all mean? Glad you asked. It means that even in the best circumstances of proper fit and sizing on a particular person's face, then it is assumed (at least by the manufacturer's of these masks), that 5% of whatever virus 300 nanometers or larger (ironically the size of CoVID-19), will and is getting through. If you have one of these masks now, or have ever used one in the past, you may remember there is some inhibiting (even if ever so slightly), of normal breathing. And that is assuming that you have the mask tightly sealed around your face. I would bet that most people that wear these casually and haphazardly (like say sanding sheetrock compound, or painting), are not really assuring these masks are snugly and correctly fitting their faces, and I can be almost positive that when most exhale into those, the mask is forced away (even if ever so slightly), from the face by regular exhales.

So, if this is what these things do, can you imagine how many CoVID-19 molecules are passing through, say; bandanas, handkerchiefs, napkins, sheets, neck gaiters, or anything else people are fashioning into masks? That is, IF this virus is as active in an airborne state as the experts say.

Will I ever state that having nothing on your face is better than something during this? Absolutely not. But if you really want to get down to the science of it (and I am a man of science), it may all be just for show! :dunno:

Respirator Rating Letter Class

N - Not oil resistant
    R - Resistant to oil
    P - Oil Proof

Respirator Rating Number Class

95 - Removes 95% of all particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter
    99 - Removes 99% of particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter
    100 - Removes 99.97% of all particles that are 0.3 microns in diameter or larger. HE or HEPA quality filter

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Doing some research, I find that the "experts" say the CoVID-19 virus is 300 nanometers in size. Don't worry about the math, it equates to 0.3 micrometers. That's really small (for all you laypeople)! :mamoru:

Anyhoo! I also looked into the filtration levels of a typical n95 mask specifically made by 3M. For the sake of this discussion, let's just assume the 3M n95 mask is the mac daddy of n95 masks. As the graph below indicates, the coveted n95 mask only filters 95% of particulates that are at least 0.3 microns. Also for the sake of this discussion a micron and a micrometer are different words that mean the same.

What does it all mean? Glad you asked. It means that even in the best circumstances of proper fit and sizing on a particular person's face, then it is assumed (at least by the manufacturer's of these masks), that 5% of whatever virus 300 nanometers or larger (ironically the size of CoVID-19), will and is getting through. If you have one of these masks now, or have ever used one in the past, you may remember there is some inhibiting (even if ever so slightly), of normal breathing. And that is assuming that you have the mask tightly sealed around your face. I would bet that most people that wear these casually and haphazardly (like say sanding sheetrock compound, or painting), are not really assuring these masks are snugly and correctly fitting their faces, and I can be almost positive that when most exhale into those, the mask is forced away (even if ever so slightly), from the face by regular exhales.

So, if this is what these things do, can you imagine how many CoVID-19 molecules are passing through, say; bandanas, handkerchiefs, napkins, sheets, neck gaiters, or anything else people are fashioning into masks? That is, IF this virus is as active in an airborne state as the experts say.

Will I ever state that having nothing on your face is better than nothing during this? Absolutely not. But if you really want to get down to the science of it (and I am a man of science), it may all be just for show! :dunno:

N - Not oil resistant
    R - Resistant to oil
    P - Oil Proof

100 - Removes 99.97% of all particles that are 0.3 microns in diameter or larger. HE or HEPA quality filter

I was told by someone that you should wear a cloth cover over the n95 mask so it will prolong the mask. Wonder how true that is

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Now I think it’s clear I’m taking things seriously, but consider you have a neighbor who probably lies awake at night worrying there are people out there still enjoying life.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

Will I ever state that having nothing on your face is better than something during this? Absolutely not. But if you really want to get down to the science of it (and I am a man of science), it may all be just for show! :dunno:

N - Not oil resistant
    R - Resistant to oil
    P - Oil Proof

Something not considered in your synopsis is that a N95 mask has an electro static charge applied to the material that makes it *sticky*. For virus to pass through and not get caught would be difficult in a new mask. Older masks used pass their intended life span would be more susceptible to it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Very interesting. I have doubts not knowing this guys background, especially when he said he didn’t know the term because he’s “not a physician”

Medium is a collection of editorials. You could write about anything and as long as it met their criteria, they would publish it. The information does not have to actually be accurate as long as the editorial staff believes the author wrote it in good faith. So as long as you believe something to be true, regardless of it being true or not, the story meets their requirement for honesty.

Our editorial team reviews thousands of stories every day. When a story meets our editorial standards, a curator will recommend it to readers interested in relevant topics across Medium.com, our app, and email digests.

What curators look for in a story
    We value quality content — fresh ideas, unique perspectives, varied voices, smart thinking — and believe readers do, too. Here are the elements our curation team considers in evaluating story quality:

Does the story meet a high editorial standard? – Is it well-written, easy to follow, free of errors, appropriately sourced, narratively strong, and compelling?
    Does it add value for the reader? – Does it share new insights or perspectives? Offer an original take on a familiar issue? Does it stir emotions and/or thinking? Provide meaningful advice? Enrich a reader’s understanding of the topic? Does it feel like time well spent?
    Is it written for the reader? – Is the story written with the reader in mind? Does the story make a connection with the reader or to a larger issue?
    Is it complete? – Is it a finished, polished piece of work? Considered? Concise? Will a reader walk away satisfied?
    Is it rigorous? – Are claims supported? Sources cited alongside stated facts? Does the story hold up to scrutiny?
    Is it honest? – Is the story written in good faith? Is it truthful?
    Does it offer a good reading experience? – Is it properly formatted for the web/mobile? Does it have a clear and relevant headline that lets the reader know what the story is about? An easily readable story body — paragraphs/spacing/styling/section breaks/quotes?
    Is it clean? Is it free of typos and errors?
    Is the imagery appropriate? Is the imagery relevant and appropriate to the story?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was told by someone that you should wear a cloth cover over the n95 mask so it will prolong the mask. Wonder how true that is

I and others are covering with surgical masks to prevent possible soiling as much as possible.
    The thing people should note is keeping the amount of viral load exposure to the lowest possible minimum. N95 masks are your best bet next to an all out respirator suit, complete with The right filter. The exhale does pressurize the seal a little but it’s forcing outward and there’s enough pause to reseal under the power of those crazy elastic bands before you take another breath.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Something not considered in your synopsis is that a N95 mask has an electro static charge applied to the material that makes it *sticky*. For virus to pass through and not get caught would be difficult in a new mask. Older masks used pass their intended life span would be more susceptible to it.

It was considered by omission, if you will. Assuming the mask was properly fitting, and assuming your assertion; even if correct, the manufacturers are only attesting to a 95% effectiveness. I am certain (because it is common practice), the manufacturers are basing their filtration effectiveness on "optimal" circumstances. "Optimal" meaning secure and snug fit, and/or proper sizing, and/or correct positioning, and/or used in proper environmental conditions, etc. My synopsis allowed for other normal instances of "typical" mask wearing, eg., the incorrect fit and breathing.

And that is assuming whomever performed the research into the measurement of CoVID-19 (in particular), was accurate. They are riding the line of the efficacy rate of the n95's ability. That is; this particular virus is the exact same size as the mask identifies specifically.

Also, if we still have debate among the medical peer groups on basic (perhaps that is too broad), questions surrounding this virus; who had time to actually measure it?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I and others are covering with surgical masks to prevent possible soiling as much as possible.
    The thing people should note is keeping the amount of viral load exposure to the lowest possible minimum. N95 masks are your best bet next to an all out respirator suit, complete with The right filter. The exhale does pressurize the seal a little but it’s forcing outward and there’s enough pause to reseal under the power of those crazy elastic bands before you take another breath.

Agreed!

Anything is better than nothing. Is any one around your workspace using lesser respiratory protection as a primary, such as basic "surgical" masks? Those are a far cry from an n95.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Agreed!

Anything is better than nothing. Is any one around your workspace using lesser respiratory protection as a primary, such as basic "surgical" masks? Those are a far cry from an n95.

Basic surgical masks were designed more to prevent the wearer from transmitting a disease to the patient versus protecting the wearer from getting a disease.
    That said, it’s better than nothing.

I believe that the average person is far more likely to touch a contaminated surface and contract in that manner.
    Proper hand washing is a must but so is awareness of what potential contaminated surfaces are being touched or newly introduced into your environment.

An example from my personal life.
    My neighbor is working a lot lately (respiratory therapist) so I mowed his lawn for him.
    To show his appreciation, he had his son bring over a takeout pizza to me.
    He was wearing a mask but no gloves.
    I was wearing both.
    I thanked him, brought it inside, opened the box and removed the pizza.
    Threw away the box and went from there.
    A pizza box is a normal part of life.
    People will bring that home and forget all about the newly introduced biohazard...

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The virus is very very small. The N95 doesn’t filter 0.3 micrometers. However the virus when coughed or sneezed out of an infected host is suspended in water droplets that are much larger than 0.3 micrometers. The N95 is very nearly 100% effective at catching those droplets. The outside of the mask is now contaminated and must be discarded safely. For the vast majority of people who were infected with N95 mask usage were contaminated while removing the mask. You must not touch the outside of the front of the mask while it is removed. There is specialized training in the proper donning and doffing procedure for PPE.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom