New Application turnaround

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    From LSP today

The CHP Unit recently launched a digital signature feature for applicants utilizing the online application system. With this updated functionality, applicants submitting their applications online can digitally sign the forms (Affidavits and LDH) in lieu of printing, physically notarizing, and scanning into the system. Applicants still choosing to submit paper applications must have the forms (except the LDH form) notarized.

Due to the CHP Unit receiving a high volume of mail, applicants are encouraged to apply online to reduce the amount of paper applications and lessen the review time.

Jgarris11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I went to Lsp in baron rouge on July 27 to apply for my first permit. On September 21 I received it in the mail. I had a friend go 2 weeks before me and he has yet to receive his. I guess it all depends on who’s working on it.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I went to Lsp in baron rouge on July 27 to apply for my first permit. On September 21 I received it in the mail. I had a friend go 2 weeks before me and he has yet to receive his. I guess it all depends on who’s working on it.

I think you're correct about it depending on who works on your permit. My renewal took 36 days from submission to the new permit arriving in the mail. I know there are others here who took over two months to get theirs back.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I did the application online on Dec 10th. I went yesterday, Dec 16th, to the lsp office to get my prints done. The lady takes my prints and says.. "your permit will be in the mail". She said it like I was already approved but I thought maybe she just said that as a general comment. Get an email this morning saying it was approved. So maybe I was approved right then.

So 4 business days from the day I applied... Pretty surprised it was that fast.

Last edited:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I did the application online on Dec 10th. I went yesterday, Dec 16th, to the lsp office to get my prints done. The lady takes my prints and says.. "your permit will be in the mail". She said it like I was already approved but I thought maybe she just said that as a general comment. Get an email this morning saying it was approved. So maybe I was approved right then.

So 4 business days from the day I applied... Pretty surprised it was that fast.

Wow you got lucky. It took my wife over 2 months for a simple renewal. I renewed weeks before her and was just approved yesterday, over 3 months later. It took around 3 weeks for them to mail her card after approval. Someone at the LSP office needs to be fired. It seems like one employee is turning them around in days and another is taking months.

xtreme171

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Slidell La.
    I had some friends submit the application online then go to LSP HQ for fingerprinting. Received their permits 7-10 days later. This was in July. I renewed in June and received it in 7 days.

Another Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    Mandeville LA
    Earlier this summer mine took almost exactly 2 months.

The wife and I drove to the LSP Baton Rouge HQ for fingerprints and submitted the paperwork there and then, 2 months later it was in our mail.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Mine came in on Dec 30th. So about two weeks from the day I did my prints at the lsp office.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Like others said i think it's just tied to the individual that has your file and how fast or slow they move.

I filed my renewal 11/10 and as of 1/5 it still said "Pending Acceptance" I politely emailed asking if there was something on my end preventing acceptance and immediately got a response saying I was good with a link to pay. Now it says "Pending Review" don't know wtf they've been been doing the last 2 months?

Meanwhile I know first hand of first time applicants and renewals submitted around my time that have received their cards already. One as fast as 19 days from submitting.

The whole "we're so swamped" only holds up if everyone is taking that long. Tax dollars at work I suppose.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I took the class Saturday applied sunday online went and got my prints done on Monday. Got a email from them today I was approved and should have my license in the mail 10-15 days. I think the key is doing everything online. Mail takes for ever and even if you bring it in someone still needs to type everything into the system. Online everything is in system someone just has to look at it.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I took the class Saturday applied sunday online went and got my prints done on Monday. Got a email from them today I was approved and should have my license in the mail 10-15 days. I think the key is doing everything online. Mail takes for ever and even if you bring it in someone still needs to type everything into the system. Online everything is in system someone just has to look at it.
    Most certainly. I mailed everything in and expecting about a 5-month turnaround

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    So they did the BG check in 2 days?

We finished my wife’s on the 30th and mine on the 6th, but haven’t heard anything back yet. Did everything online also.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I want to commend the people at the LSPCHD for taking care of me in such a timely manor. I took the class last saturday got everything done online and at headquarters and I got my license in today's mail. ONE WEEK WHHOOOOOO HOOOOO

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I want to commend the people at the LSPCHD for taking care of me in such a timely manor. I took the class last saturday got everything done online and at headquarters and I got my license in today's mail. ONE WEEK WHHOOOOOO HOOOOO

So same as me. Mine took two weeks but I'm thinking that's because I did it right before the holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

So they did the BG check in 2 days?

We finished my wife’s on the 30th and mine on the 6th, but haven’t heard anything back yet. Did everything online also.

Where did you get the prints done?

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    Nope... My renewal was 100% online and it still took over 2 months.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Any recent info on renewal times? I let my permit lapse but approximately 30 days later submitted a renewal on Nov 21 2020. Only status I can see is "submitted to state". Should I be concerned about the two month (so far) wait?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom