New Application turnaround

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southern Custom

Engraver
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2020
    Baton Rouge, La
    Has anyone applied lately and if so how was the turnaround time. I’d heard that they were not processing new apps at the moment? I unfortunately let my permit lapse and had to file as a new permit. I filed 3 days ago. We’ll see how it goes.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This was posted in another thread by one of our members a few days ago.

Spoke with someone at the LSP CHP office this morning. She said the holdup is still related to the breach back in November, and apparently we’re all just piling up as *approved* but not yet technically rubber stamped. She didn’t know when someone up the food chain would hit the go button but said it’d likely be at least another few weeks.

If you call, push 1 then 4 to get to a real human.

I would bet it will be longer now with things being shut down.

EricB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    New Orleans La.
    Thanks, I had in person dropped off in early January. and I was kinda getting worried since I got 2 emails immediately then, nothing for 2 months.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With the coronavirus disruptions, it's anyone's guess.

That said, I dropped my new application off last September-ish. I had my permit within a week.

Mike

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Got my approval email today (printed and paid 1/16/20 so about about 11 weeks), says permit will be in the mail in another 10-15 days.

brandonan14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    United States
    Just saw this thread after emailing them and hearing back.

I submitted January 28th and it’s still pending review. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one waiting.

pwc001

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Just saw this thread after emailing them and hearing back.

I submitted January 28th and it’s still pending review. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one waiting.

Definitely not. I mailed mine 1-17-20. I saw in another thread on here, in the laws section, that the CHP unit isn’t working until the “stay at home” order from the governor is rescinded. No permits are being processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Welll ...Got this in a email from LSP...its the last update I got from them:

i5WTbFw.jpg

EODBob5337

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2019
    Lacombe, Louisiana
    One of my students who initiated his and his wife's application online at the lsp.org website and then completed the process in person at lsp headquarters in Baton Rouge, they both received their permits 9 days.
    If you call the lsp office, the recording states due to the high volume of applications the wait time is beyond 120 days. I imagine if you mail in your application, it goes into a bin full of others apps. By completing the process at HQ, it puts you directly into the system.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    One of my students who initiated his and his wife's application online at the lsp.org website and then completed the process in person at lsp headquarters in Baton Rouge, they both received their permits 9 days.
    If you call the lsp office, the recording states due to the high volume of applications the wait time is beyond 120 days. I imagine if you mail in your application, it goes into a bin full of others apps. By completing the process at HQ, it puts you directly into the system.

What about renewals any word from your students on how long that takes since they have prints and pic already in system

TC01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Louisiana
    Does anyone have a recent timeframe for new application turnaround? I am on day 50 and curious know when my permit may be arriving. Submitted by paper copy, with the electronic prints the same day, directly to HQ in BR.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Does anyone have a recent timeframe for new application turnaround? I am on day 50 and curious know when my permit may be arriving. Submitted by paper copy, with the electronic prints the same day, directly to HQ in BR.

My brother just did his, first time applicant. He said as soon as he submitted prints he was approved almost immediately. His permit took about a week to hit the mail box. So just a few weeks start to finish.

TC01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Louisiana
    Thats why i am so confused. Ive heard the same thing a couple of times. I don't know if it is because I submitted the paper copy directly to the HQ in BR that it is taking long. I also have no way to check my application status. I probably should have just done the application electronically.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    Thats why i am so confused. Ive heard the same thing a couple of times. I don't know if it is because I submitted the paper copy directly to the HQ in BR that it is taking long. I also have no way to check my application status. I probably should have just done the application electronically

Electronic is the way to go. LSP has been in pretty constant contact with updates on CHP permit issuance etc. throughout the COVID ordeal. A while back they issued an email with some guidance on best practices etc. It got ate up by gmail, or I would post it's contents. Make sure to answer questions 7, & 9 candidly. The quickest turn around are those that are done online, and finger printed at LSP headquarters in BR when requested.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I submitted online and it took three months.

They are swamped. There is no guaranteed "fast" way right now.

Top Bottom