Copper Pans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    So, for a few years now my close friends and family have been raving about copper cookware. Some absolutely swear by the Copper Chef Brand. I finally bit and my girl and I bought a 10 inch Copper Chef fry pan. Well... It was awful! A total POS and waste of money! I literally finally got so fed up with it that I threw it in the dumpster.

Anyway, my question to y'all: Did I just perhaps get a lemon? The people who suggested this pan to me can't believe I hated it so much, as they all love theirs. Must be a lemon.

Any of y'all use and love copper pans and what brands do you like? Copper Chef or one of the other dozens of brands they have out nowadays?

Thanks for any input.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have the same Magnalite we git when we got married. And a nice set of All-Clad we add to every now and then.
    Ruined food kills me.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    All the copper chef and stuff like it ig gimmicky bs. Just like the eco green stuff that was a fad about 10 years ago.
    You’re better off with T-Fal or some other cheap pan.
    Go to TJ Maxx or Marshall’s for decent deals on pots and pans.

At my house we also have magnalite, all clad and lodge cast iron pans.
    Had them for years and years.
    If you want copper, get real copper, not just pseudo copper painted ones.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...kware-copper|copper-cookware-sets&isx=0.0.386

But the price isn’t for the faint of heart.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    All the copper chef and stuff like it ig gimmicky bs. Just like the eco green stuff that was a fad about 10 years ago.
    You’re better off with T-Fal or some other cheap pan.
    Go to TJ Maxx or Marshall’s for decent deals on pots and pans.

At my house we also have magnalite, all clad and lodge cast iron pans.
    Had them for years and years.
    If you want copper, get real copper, not just pseudo copper painted ones.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...kware-copper|copper-cookware-sets&isx=0.0.386

But the price isn’t for the faint of heart.

There is an eBay reseller that sells factory seconds as well as New of the same brands that they sell there. I bought a New All-Clad Turkey Pan with Rack that doubles as Lasagna Pan. As well as many others the secons are cosmetic and I had a hard time finding them.

ajk3rd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I purchased mine at Walmart about a year ago and I just love it. It cooks great, nothing sticks to it and cleaning it is a snap. I have heard some people hate them, I don't understand. You could not buy mine for $100.00. I think I paid $20.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I purchased mine at Walmart about a year ago and I just love it. It cooks great, nothing sticks to it and cleaning it is a snap. I have heard some people hate them, I don't understand. You could not buy mine for $100.00. I think I paid $20.

I've heard this same thing from so many people! I think I got a lemon... I bet if I contact Copper Chef, they may send me a new one. Or at least a manufacturers coupon for a new one!

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    We primarily have Lodge cast iron and All-Clad and are very happy with them. If you want to try some All-Clad, one can find seconds at a big discount at the Home Goods store in Mandeville on occasion. I personally cannot see why they are seconds as the quality seems the same as a first quality pan. I have not been to their stores in other parts of the country but it would be worth the effort to check.

I'm not too familiar with copper. I do have one All-Clad with a copper layer in it but the layer that the food touches is still stainless steel. All-Clad claims that the heat is more even with the copper layer, but I really cannot see that much difference over their regular pans and the copper is much more expensive. Good luck in your search, I would agree with Cheesy Lasagna and 340six in that cheap pans are no fun and a waste of money. Unless you are like those of us that enjoy cooking and do it just to keep alive, one needs just a few quality pans. A whole $900 set is not necessary.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I’m 100% cast iron. My wife tried the copper garbage. Yeah, it’s slick as snot but the coating flakes off way too easy.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Lodge also has what I consider their *sleeper* line of enameled dutch ovens that are inexpensive and spectacular.
    Their 6qt version is $91 retail but can be found at $50 or so if you look.
    Much the same as the Le Creuset 5.5qt model at $375.
    A great bargain if you like cooking.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Good old seasoned cast iron here too, but I notice many ceramic (or glass) top stoves nowadays and you don’t wanna use iron on those. In fact, unless you’re cooking with gas I wouldn’t recommend cast iron. I bought a huge ass electricgriddle last year with the copper nonstick surface and that thing is the bomb. Clean up is a soaking wet cloth while it’s hot.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Good old seasoned cast iron here too, but I notice many ceramic (or glass) top stoves nowadays and you don’t wanna use iron on those. In fact, unless you’re cooking with gas I wouldn’t recommend cast iron. I bought a huge ass electricgriddle last year with the copper nonstick surface and that thing is the bomb. Clean up is a soaking wet cloth while it’s hot.

True.
    I stick with gas for general cooking and charcoal for grilling.
    Works well for me.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Lodge and Viking here. Before the Viking I used whatever "nice" pans I got at thrift stores.

My grandparents have real copper alloy cookware they bought in France in the 70s. It's Made of 1/4" plate. It's VERY delicate and bends easily.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Don’t you have to “season” the copper pans before use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    My father got me a set of Copper Chef from Sam's club for Christmas 2018. It's a large circular pan, a large square pan, and a large circular pot all with lids.

I cook almost every night with them and after a year I'm starting to see some wear on the coating. Things are starting to stick more often and I'm having to use butter and oil to prevent it.

I only use wooden spoons and the plastic looking spatulas on them, never anything metal. I do throw them in the dishwasher but the FAQ says you can do that - https://www.copperchef.com/copper-chef-faq. When I wash them by hand I use the blue Scotch Brite non scratch sponges never the green ones. So I don't think I mistreat them.

They supposedly have a lifetime warranty but I don't have the damn receipt anymore. They were only $45 so I'm not too worried about it but I would recommend looking at a different company.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This is news to me. Why can't you use iron on the glass stovetops? Legit question as I've been doing this for years and haven't had a problem yet.

Lodge also has what I consider their *sleeper* line of enameled dutch ovens that are inexpensive and spectacular.
    Their 6qt version is $91 retail but can be found at $50 or so if you look.
    Much the same as the Le Creuset 5.5qt model at $375.
    A great bargain if you like cooking.
    So, I'm in the market for a few sizes of enamel coated things...mind sharing (Amazon) links to the ones you are referencing?

Was just looking at the Le Creuset stuff, but it's hella expensive lol. How do the Lodge's actually compare to them?

Also, can you put enamel coated things (such as Le Creuset or Lodge Enamel Coated) over a fire?

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    This is news to me. Why can't you use iron on the glass stovetops? Legit question as I've been doing this for years and haven't had a problem yet.

So, I'm in the market for a few sizes of enamel coated things...mind sharing (Amazon) links to the ones you are referencing?

Was just looking at the Le Creuset stuff, but it's hella expensive lol. How do the Lodge's actually compare to them?

Also, can you put enamel coated things (such as Le Creuset or Lodge Enamel Coated) over a fire?

I’m not sure what MD is referring so I won’t try to answer on his behalf. Cast iron can be hard on a glass top, scratching it etc. A cast iron skillet or DO that has been over heated will wobble or spin due to warping on the bottom.

The solution would be to not over heat the pan or if buying used check the bottom for heat spots and use a straight edge to check for flatness.

Le creuset is good stuff and I’ve used it on a gas stove top with no issues. As noted above lodge has some good enamelware that’s easy on the wallet.

Do a YouTube search on America’s test kitchen for enamelware tests. https://youtu.be/yjUW-p7iRLU

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    No idea about enamel pans; never saw a need for one.
    I use cast iron for most things.
    It’s the enamel dutch oven by Lodge that I wholeheartedly endorse.
    A true winner in every sense.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The only non-stick cookware I have are a single 10" non-stick pan and some baking sheets.

I use cast iron for everything else, other than the aforementioned cookware and my crawfish & jambalaya pots. You can't get that flavor and texture with non-stick pans.

Top Bottom