9mm Steel casing ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Have a 9mm Shield. Currently an ammo shortage and shopping around for some range ammo, I found some Winchester Steel Casing 9mm. I've never used those and wonder how they would perform in a S&W Shield.

All I've ever used was brass casing.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Worst case, you may run into a failure to extract or two, due to the steel case not shrinking back down as fast as a brass case. Getting practice clearing malfunctions isn’t a bad thing.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I used tk shoot 2 or 3 days a,week at the shooters club. Every tome i went they had tge same guy who said he shot 5 days a,week on his way home. All he ever shot was steel case's.
    I never saw his gun - guns have a hiccup
    I have shot some and all was good to go.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have run steel cased in many sub machine guns, including a glock conversion and never had a FTE. I ordered 3k 9mm steel cased before this current panic and I have no worries.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Worst ammo I've ever tried. I've never had more failures as I had with that stuff. The rounds would frequently get stuck in the magazine rather than advance. Horrible stuff based on my limited experience. I won't ever trust these. They don't fail like standard ammo so they're not any good for training either.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Wolf and Tula for poking holes in paper is ok. That Winchester brown box steel is garbage but I understand under the circumstances it’s the only option. When it calms down do your best to avoid it. It’s the only ammo I’ve had that would consistently choke a Glock. Good luck to ya. It will give valuable malfunction clearing actions.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    The only problem I've ever had with ammo was with some aluminum cased ammo in a revolver. Case expanded and stuck the cylinder on my revolver years ago. Never had a problem with steel case.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    for pistol ammunition i have found the steel cased russian stuff works fine. it left i the trunk of your car for years, the cases might rust providing potential problems with getting stuck in magazines, but they all shoot fine for range ammo.. absolutely would not use for self defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom