Louisiana Lockdown! How is this Constitutional?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Loads of people are driving around. It’s a nonissue.

Thanks for the info. Will hopefully bring her some supplies on Saturday without worry.

On a different note, this is a good read - https://www.boredpanda.com/man-tested-positive-covid-19-coronavirus-describe-symptoms/

Michael Bane, the 42-year-old Vice President of Client Engagement at Deighan Law, LLC, was healthy. He could do 13 pullups and run a sub-seven mile. One time, Mike even ran 6 miles of a marathon with a partially torn tendon in his foot. Mike’s also the type of guy who walks around on a fractured ankle for two weeks before bothering his doctor about it. The tough guy was in shape. But the coronavirus brought him to his knees regardless of it.

At first, Michael tried to carry on with his work and family life, but after a long and gruesome fight, COVID-19 finally has him in the hospital. To raise awareness, he shared a detailed story about the living hell he went through, and it vividly shows just how brutal the virus really is.

And on the note of Bluetooth headphones, I love my Sennheiser PXC 550. The controls are a bit weird to get used to as it uses finger swipes on a pad so you gotta remember which swipes do what but the audio sounds great and people always hear me on conference calls and not the background noise.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Maybe we should create a thread specific to noise canceling headphones, but does anyone else have issues with being disoriented from wearing noise canceling headphones. I tend to have some minor disorientation when wearing foamies and even passive muffs. But not when I wear electronic ear pro. I wonder would noise canceling headphones cause the same problem for me due to loss of ambient sound.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Maybe we should create a thread specific to noise canceling headphones, but does anyone else have issues with being disoriented from wearing noise canceling headphones. I tend to have some minor disorientation when wearing foamies and even passive muffs. But not when I wear electronic ear pro. I wonder would noise canceling headphones cause the same problem for me due to loss of ambient sound.

I don't have disorientation from either, but I only utilize noise cancellation whenever I'm in places where I am okay not being able to hear ambient sount (airplanes, at work, or at home). I don't use the noise cancelling functions when in the public.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I haven't been following the whole lockdown thing too much. Are they restricting travel at all? I ask b/c I want to drive to Slidell this weekend to bring my mother some food and supplies and don't want to get a ticket or something. I imagine delivering goods to your 65 year old mother is allowed and seen as essential travel?

We went from Denham Springs to Slidell and back today. Couldn't really tell too much difference in the I-12 traffic except we didn't have to just about stop in the Covington like we usually do. I can't remember seeing any LEO's anywhere on 12 today not even the Troopers in St. Tammany that I see almost every time. Take your mama some supplies and I hope she gets well soon.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Let's not take our eye off of the ball. The number one priority of people in a free society is liberty. There is nothing that should ever cloud our view of this constant struggle to keep the liberty we have left and to fight with all we have to take back what we've lost. In other words, without liberty, surviving a virus is pointless.

And just to stay on topic... I wrote this while listening to my bt headphones.

UPDATE: Well I guess we took our eye off of the ball.

Neither the state or federal government has legal authority to suspend any part of the Constitution at any time. So..

It can't shut down anything without due process. It can't determine the definition of an 'essential business'... blah blah

What the state and fed is doing is illegal... But we'll let 'em do it cause we're pu$$ies...

"Give me liberty or give me death... Unless I get sick.. Then please hold me till I feel better..." Geeez. That certainly wouldn't motivate the gov to keep us sick would it?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It’s prolly the weed more than the headphones but yeah

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    So the Governor "ordered" a lock-down starting tomorrow at 5pm. How is this legal, constitutional and how will it be enforced? Is anyone else going to go about doing their own business?

This is an emergency because of a deadly virus, I am not worried about the constitution right now. The virus does not care about that man made piece of paper. As of April 1st, there are 44,156 people that are dead because of this virus. I can whine about the constitution and potentially die or get a family member sick or I can use common sense and stay home to end this thing. So no, I am not going about my own business. The sooner we all comply with this order and stop the spread, the quicker this is over.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    My sentiments exactly! Pretty much tells you who wants to control the masses right there.

So would you rather people gather in masses and spread this virus more and keep this shut down going? I could really care less about political parties right now. As of April 1st, there are 44,156 people that are dead because of this virus. On January 1st, there was just 1 confirmed case in the U.S.. Now in the U.S. there are 189,753 confirmed cases and 4,090 people dead and increasing. So I am not prescribing to the theory that some political party is trying to control us. Common sense tells me that they are trying to keep more people from dying.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    This is an emergency because of a deadly virus, I am not worried about the constitution right now. The virus does not care about that man made piece of paper. As of April 1st, there are 44,156 people that are dead because of this virus. I can whine about the constitution and potentially die or get a family member sick or I can use common sense and stay home to end this thing. So no, I am not going about my own business. The sooner we all comply with this order and stop the spread, the quicker this is over.

Lol. exactly my point. Lie down and be a good slave.

The sooner we comply with our masters the sooner they can save us. When they see how easy it was this time, the next 'emergency' will be along in short order

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Lol. exactly my point. Lie down and be a good slave.

The sooner we comply with our masters the sooner they can save us. When they see how easy it was this time, the next 'emergency' will be along in short order

The last time the entire US had an Emergency Declaration was World War II.

There are very few (if any; certainly any that you would want to listen to), Constitutional scholars that will tell you the Constitution cannot be superceded by this ED.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    The last time the entire US had an Emergency Declaration was World War II.

There are very few (if any; certainly any that you would want to listen to), Constitutional scholars that will tell you the Constitution cannot be superceded by this ED.

I don't doubt it. But there is no provision for ever superseding the constitution. What is termed 'Constitutional law' is actually 'anti-Constitution Law'. It is a compilation of excuses as to why the Constitution is illegally ignored.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

So the ends justifies the means? You are willing to violate an individual’s rights to better the collective?

Personally I believe we can protect both the rights of people and prevent the spread of the virus.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    So the ends justifies the means? You are will to violate an individual’s rights to better the collective? Personally I believe we can protect both the rights of people and prevent the spread of the virus.

How?
    I understand your argument on rights but how can this be done during a pandemic?
    No offense meant; I’d just like your side.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    How?
    I understand your argument on rights but how can this be done during a pandemic?
    No offense meant; I’d just like your side.

Well I’ll back up a little and say nothing is perfect, but in many cases local and state type ordinances can be used to limit unwanted behavior. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you don’t have to violate people’s rights to have such ordinances. The problem is often elected officials do things in sloppy/hap-hazard ways. If you say you can’t assemble in groups of 10 or more without a special permit and require specific cause that locality violates no ones rights in theory. They have the option get a permit or go elsewhere to group up. There are ways to discourage movement as well occupational license aren’t guaranteed by any constitution I’m aware of. Problem businesses could have the occupational license revoked. The deal is there are legal ways to limit certain behavior. In many states titty bars get pushed out by a new neighbor (school of church) that they aren’t allowed to be that close to. It’s legal it’s screwed up but it’s legal. My point is we are a nation of laws and should remain as such regardless of what hard times come our way, and if we are careful we can use those laws and some bribery to get folk to do what’s right.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't doubt it. But there is no provision for ever superseding the constitution. What is termed 'Constitutional law' is actually 'anti-Constitution Law'. It is a compilation of excuses as to why the Constitution is illegally ignored.

It doesn't "nullify" an American's Rights, but it offers the ability of government to perform certain activities in the course of a national emergency. Case and point is this imbecile in Central, La. that is defying the mandate to not congregate his church. He doesn't lose his Constitutional Right to practice his religion, or even to pray; but he can be limited to his assembly during a national emergency; and particularly a "National Health" emergency. Thusly, he was arrested. And rightly so. He is a direct threat to the community as a collective.

What is extremely disheartening is those hundreds of people that are also defying the ED by supporting this nitwit. It says a lot about them too! This church is sounding more and more like a cult to me.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well I’ll back up a little and say nothing is perfect, but in many cases local and state type ordinances can be used to limit unwanted behavior. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you don’t have to violate people’s rights to have such ordinances. The problem is often elected officials do things in sloppy/hap-hazard ways. If you say you can’t assemble in groups of 10 or more without a special permit and require specific cause that locality violates no ones rights in theory they have the option to go elsewhere to group up. There are ways to discourage movement as well occupational license aren’t guaranteed by any constitution I’m aware of. Problem businesses could have the occupational license revoked. The deal is there are legal ways to limit certain behavior. In many states titty bars get push out by a new neighbor (school of church) that they aren’t allowed to be that close to. It’s legal it’s screwed up but it’s legal. My point is we are a nation of laws and should remain as such regardless of what hard times come our way, and if we are careful we can use those laws and some bribery to get folk to do what’s right.

The flaw in this is, this is a deadly pandemic that could get worse than what is being projected if American citizens don't cooperate with the ED. The Constitution is a wonderful edict, but it is completely worthless if there are no Americans left to uphold it. Is this a huge leap? Sure. However, if anyone wants to challenge this ED and it's temporary effect on individual freedoms, wait till we get through it, and sue. That is also part of this nation of laws.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The flaw in this is, this is a deadly pandemic that could get worse than what is being projected if American citizens don't cooperate with the ED. The Constitution is a wonderful edict, but it is completely worthless if there are no Americans left to uphold it. Is this a huge leap? Sure. However, if anyone wants to challenge this ED and it's temporary effect on individual freedoms, wait till we get through it, and sue. That is also part of this nation of laws.

As all internet arguments end up:

What if the German Jews challenged the ‘emergency safety measures’ before they locked up the ghettoes, and all ended up in death camps.

I don’t think that’s where we are going but this is typically how atrocities start.

I believe we can and have an obligation to make careful measured efforts to contain this virus as best we can and do it in a way that doesn’t violate everyone’s rights. We are better than the rest of the world because of the laws that protect the individual and we should do everything in our power to operate inside this laws.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As all internet arguments end up:

What if the German Jews challenged the ‘emergency safety measures’ before they locked up the ghettoes, and all ended up in death camps.

I don’t think that’s where we are going but this is typically how atrocities start.

This is a non sequitur! Comparing any other circumstance around the world, to ANY events in the US is not valid.

When this (United States), government ask you to disarm, you have the means to say no!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    This is a non sequitur! Comparing any other circumstance around the world, to ANY events in the US is not valid.

When this (United States), government ask you to disarm, you have the means to say no!

Ok concentration camps.

Sorry to be crude if you’re about to be ass raped you don’t wait until bubba is on top of you before you offer resistance.

You don’t wait until violence is the only answer left because no one will win.

Also my point still stands that we can use legal means to limit undesirable behavior. But it requires elected officials to use their brains. Many are.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom