Louisiana Lockdown! How is this Constitutional?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Quite a few family members had the same thing in late December / early Jan. I was thinking the same thing.

He was in full blown symptoms for two days before testing. I’m sure his viral load would have been high enough to be detected if it was the flu. Of course this is only my opinion not based on medical fact. We will never know just how many people were infected. Especially the younger crowd that may show no or very little symptoms.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    If we ever get a true count of infected with very little to no signs I feel the mortality rate will be that equal or maybe even less than flu A and B. My son (18) in great health last month had 102 fever, chills, horrible cough, and body aches. He tested negative for the flu and streptococcus. Treated it like the flu anyway. His cough lasted for two weeks after the other symptoms subsided. Makes me think...could it have been?

My Oncologist saw me right before this,started.
    Say Nov-Dec. Fever, Flu like but also some thing else much like your Son.
    She did swabs sent out same as him.
    Nothing.
    Anti-Biotics and Steroids 2 plus weeks and was ok.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    If we ever get a true count of infected with very little to no signs I feel the mortality rate will be that equal or maybe even less than flu A and B. My son (18) in great health last month had 102 fever, chills, horrible cough, and body aches. He tested negative for the flu and streptococcus. Treated it like the flu anyway. His cough lasted for two weeks after the other symptoms subsided. Makes me think...could it have been?

I keep hearing this argument. The issue is that it's exponentially more contagious and its respiratory. If your son would have had it, I would almost guarantee you that more people around you would have had it. I get it. Don't panic. That's easy to say unless your one of the 1-3%. That 1-3% is a great number if there are only a few thousand, or even a few hundred thousand sick. But what if there are millions, or hundreds of millions? That's a different story right.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I keep hearing this argument. The issue is that it's exponentially more contagious and its respiratory. If your son would have had it, I would almost guarantee you that more people around you would have had it. I get it. Don't panic. That's easy to say unless your one of the 1-3%. That 1-3% is a great number if there are only a few thousand, or even a few hundred thousand sick. But what if there are millions, or hundreds of millions? That's a different story right.

My best advice is to protect yourself and your family.
    Wearing a respirator and gloves in public feels weird and attracts attention but it is the right way to go.
    I have been doing it but my wife refuses to do so.
    That’s okay, she’s a Southern lady and I respect that.
    You do you as the saying goes.
    And as always, I hope I am wrong.

As an addition, I go into stores while she waits in the vehicle.
    She’s wet hen kind’a mad but it’s worked thusfar.
    :)

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think there are some fundamental misunderstandings here about exponential growth on one hand and people missing how flawed the current statistics are on the other.

First, we only have a 1800ish cases in Louisiana today, this shouldn’t be seen as a way to undercut the severity of the issue. The case totals are going up by about 30% daily(on average). If this continues the number of cases will rise to 70,000 in two weeks time(provided we can get enough tests done).

On the other hand, the mortality rate is likely much lower than the stats we are seeing. We are only really testing those with severe symptoms, which creates an over representation of hospitalizations and death. I’m sure there are thousands of people in Louisiana who have had the coronavirus, cleared it, and weren’t ever tested, additionally people are currently infected who are asymptomatic. Because the pool of infected is likely much larger than is currently being shown by testing, the mortality rate is much lower.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We are only really testing those with severe symptoms, which creates an over representation of hospitalizations and death.

That's actually incorrect. Anyone with flu like symptoms is being tested.

That's direct from family members that work at two different hospitals and having a family member go to an urgent clinic for a severe cough, which turned out to be an ear infection, and was tested for COVID-19.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    That's actually incorrect. Anyone with flu like symptoms is being tested.

That's direct from family members that work at two different hospitals and having a family member go to an urgent clinic for a severe cough, which turned out to be an ear infection, and was tested for COVID-19.

Hate to say it because you’re usually correct, but this isn’t so.
    There aren’t enough supplies currently to test everyone with symptoms.
    In a few weeks maybe, but not now.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think both of you are correct. It depends on which location you are at and how many testing kits they have.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I haven't been following the whole lockdown thing too much. Are they restricting travel at all? I ask b/c I want to drive to Slidell this weekend to bring my mother some food and supplies and don't want to get a ticket or something. I imagine delivering goods to your 65 year old mother is allowed and seen as essential travel?

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I haven't been following the whole lockdown thing too much. Are they restricting travel at all? I ask b/c I want to drive to Slidell this weekend to bring my mother some food and supplies and don't want to get a ticket or something. I imagine delivering goods to your 65 year old mother is allowed and seen as essential travel?

As it stands, you’ll be fine.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hate to say it because you’re usually correct, but this isn’t so.
    There aren’t enough supplies currently to test everyone with symptoms.
    In a few weeks maybe, but not now.

My family member WAS tested for COVID-19 after visiting the urgent clinic.

My two family members, who work at separate hospitals also told me that current SOP is for all ER patients experiencing flu like symptoms to be tested, so I don’t know what to tell you.

Considering the parishes affected, I don’t believe that ALL hospitals are doing this.

Top Bottom