Don't call the cops, cause they ain't coming.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    At what point did you dial 911?

I left that out only because the original post already alluded that (in this case), the Dallas PD stated they would not respond to that crime. I suppose, the call should, and most likely would be made, somewhere in there. That would be prudent regardless. However, when your PD tells you in a press release, they won't respond, I guess you may already have your mind made up.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Let me offer what I think I would do.

If I am heading outside for a noise in the night, I am armed. Hell, I don't even answer the doorbell or a knock at the front door without my pistol in my hand behind my back. If I happen upon a person physically breaking into my vehicle, I will aim my weapon at the burglar and yell very loudly and clearly, and directly at him; "Get your hands up and step away from the vehicle!" If he tells me to get screwed, I will announce again; "Step away from the vehicle or I will shoot you!" If the thief threatens me with a weapon, I feel that I have the Right to defend myself at that point. If he doesn't threaten me with a weapon, and if my threat to him doesn't work, I am going inside, holstering my pistol, and brandishing a blunt object. I will then proceed to crack him in the knee or elbow with enough force to break him in pieces. If he fights back, he gets it in the head! If he continues, I am going for the pistol.

See, this is the dilemma. The law clearly states that you do not have to surrender your private property to any would be thief, but if you shoot them for theft, you will more than likely face charges. So, I would rather face an aggravated assault charge than a murder charge. But NO ONE is stealing my stuff right in front of me!

But that is what I believe would be my recourse.

Next!?!

Sounds like a pretty bad idea. What blunt object are you grabbing? Even if you had a baseball bat or a baton, I'd feel pretty comfortable that one-on-one, in the middle of the night that a young street-thug who is motivated enough to not back away at the sight of a firearm could take your blunt object from you and get on top of you. Do you really want to be testing your weapon retention skills vs your life...over whatever immaterial items you keep in your truck?

If someone is stupid/high/bold enough to not back away at a firearm being pointed at them, I'd say it's a tell-tale sign that you don't want to be any closer to them than you have to. Closing the distance seems like the absolute worst thing you could do.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sounds like a pretty bad idea. What blunt object are you grabbing? Even if you had a baseball bat or a baton, I'd feel pretty comfortable that one-on-one, in the middle of the night that a young street-thug who is motivated enough to not back away at the sight of a firearm could take your blunt object from you and get on top of you. Do you really want to be testing your weapon retention skills vs your life...over whatever immaterial items you keep in your truck?

If someone is stupid/high/bold enough to not back away at a firearm being pointed at them, I'd say it's a tell-tale sign that you don't want to be any closer to them than you have to. Closing the distance seems like the absolute worst thing you could do.

That is exactly why I am asking this question. What can you do? I am not letting ANYONE take my stuff!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I left that out only because the original post already alluded that (in this case), the Dallas PD stated they would not respond to that crime. I suppose, the call should, and most likely would be made, somewhere in there. That would be prudent regardless. However, when your PD tells you in a press release, they won't respond, I guess you may already have your mind made up.

Responding to a call about graffiti and theft that already occurred is not the same as responding to call of a current theft in progress where a firearm is involved. If you actually somehow enticed a woman to be in your company, it may behoove you to have her dial 911 while you face away from the criminal and shoot behind your back.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Responding to a call about graffiti and theft that already occurred is not the same as responding to call of a current theft in progress where a firearm is involved. If you actually somehow enticed a woman to be in your company, it may behoove you to have her dial 911 while you face away from the criminal and shoot behind your back.

Thanks for that completely stupid response! Your perfection in/of everything is awe inspiring! What mutual funds do you think I should buy?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That is exactly why I am asking this question. What can you do? I am not letting ANYONE take my stuff!

Dude, what's more important: Your stuff or your life/comfort?

If someone doesn't back down at the sight of a pistol, why the hell would you want to approach them and touch them?

Seriously, when was the last time you brawled with someone? What about the last time with someone young, fit, and highly motivated? If you really think that you could keep someone 30 years younger than you who is likely drugged up from taking your blunt object from you and beating you with it, I think you might need to step back and reassess....

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    None of this answered my hypothetical scenario, and this is not my thread. But, if it's OK by you AK Shooter, I will ask like this:

Remember, this is "Hypothetical!"

If you heard a noise in your driveway, or in front of your house; and you came out to investigate, and someone was physically prying your vehicle door open to enter your vehicle, and you confronted them, they acknowledged you, but they knew the police were not going to respond to this "minor" crime, and then they subsequently told you to sit there and watch them finish tearing open your truck; what would YOU do? What could you do?

We know you can't shoot them. We know a woman living alone can't do anything about it. We know a frail and elderly man can't do anything about it. We also know that you don't have to allow anyone to take your property in front of you; but what do you do?

Let's go just a bit further; let's say you confront them with your weapon trained on them, but they still tell you to get f*cked. Where are you at now?

Climb into the vehicle on the other side, then shoot him for attempting illegal entry into an occupied domicile.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Dude, what's more important: Your stuff or your life/comfort?

If someone doesn't back down at the sight of a pistol, why the hell would you want to approach them and touch them?

Seriously, when was the last time you brawled with someone? What about the last time with someone young, fit, and highly motivated? If you really think that you could keep someone 30 years younger than you who is likely drugged up from taking your blunt object from you and beating you with it, I think you might need to step back and reassess....

Let's go with that mindset. The law says you have the right to protect your private property! Let's assume you are correct! What do you do if you are not going to watch someone take your stuff in front of you? If this POS can take stuff out of your auto, then he can take your dog too; if he wants to or you let him.

I am asking a philosophical question that alot of people think about. We discuss scenario's on here to learn (until Dave ruins those discussions with his command of everything Earthly). What CAN you do?

LE's investigate and write incident reports after the fact. Lawyer get involved after the fact. Judges and jury's have the final say. What CAN you do? What do you do?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Climb into the vehicle on the other side, then shoot him for attempting illegal entry into an occupied domicile.
    Or go inside, call the cops, and then call your insurance company if need arises.

Having to shoot someone would suck. A lot. Having to buy new trinkets and get a new window sucks a lot less (I just did this last year, wasn't too hard of a process)

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks for that completely stupid response! Your perfection in/of everything is awe inspiring! What mutual funds do you think I should buy?

So you don’t think it would be wise to have someone else in your home, or yourself, dial 911 when you realize there is a bump in the night? You’re not rambo. You’re not a cop. You’re not even a fairly proficient and accountable gun owner from what we’ve gathered from your past posts. It’s amazing that you dismiss the possibility of a police department responding to an active event because they asked residents to report previous thefts online rather than waste valuable resources.

C'est La Vie

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Let's go with that mindset. The law says you have the right to protect your private property! Let's assume you are correct! What do you do if you are not going to watch someone take your stuff in front of you? If this POS can take stuff out of your auto, then he can take your dog too; if he wants to or you let him.

I am asking a philosophical question that alot of people think about. We discuss scenario's on here to learn (until Dave ruins those discussions with his command of everything Earthly). What CAN you do?

LE's investigate and write incident reports after the fact. Lawyer get involved after the fact. Judges and jury's have the final say. What CAN you do? What do you do?
    It's a silly scenario.

If someone doesn't flee upon being confronted with a firearm (and ideally a bright light), they have something wrong going on in their head.

If they don't flee, it's more likely that they approach you where your options are go back inside or use escalated force.

The scenario of them ignoring you and chilling by your vehicle is not very likely to happen. If it does, holding a firearm and light on them while calling the police is the best option. If you call and say you have a guy at gunpoint that you are concerned you are abojt to shoot, they are going to show up and show up fast.

Shooting someone should always be an absolute last resort. Also, keep in mind that firing in the direction of your stuff will likely damage your stuff, so we circle back to your original concern regarding your stuff.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So you don’t think it would be wise to have someone else in your home, or yourself, dial 911 when you realize there is a bump in the night? You’re not rambo. You’re not a cop. You’re not even a fairly proficient and accountable gun owner from what we’ve gathered from your past posts. It’s amazing that you dismiss the possibility of a police department responding to an active event because they asked residents to report previous thefts online rather than waste valuable resources.

C'est La Vie

Start over and read the OP. In this case the DPD says they are not responding to certain crimes. I suppose if DPD considers this an active situation they may dispatch a unit, eventually. We all are fully aware of how LE agency's all over the country's resources are strained already.

Also, you make yet another terrible mistake in argumentative debate when you assume that your opponent is or isn't proficient at anything. Try to keep your ego in check. You are trying too hard.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That's fine. But this particular encounter may be over in less than 2 minutes depending on what transpires. Unless your neighbor is LE and is up getting ready for work, you just won't get a physical response from police in the time frame that my scenario offers. If the scumbag decides to stand his ground, what can you do? What will you do? If, like this elderly lady, you refuse to allow someone to take your stuff?

Stand your ground and defend yourself if necessary.

What he said stand my ground and defend myself if necessary. At this point I or a designated person has called 911 and provided all potentially relevant information. All is left is to make contact and hope they flee. If not I have the necessary tools to defend myself.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Start over and read the OP. In this case the DPD says they are not responding to certain crimes. I suppose if DPD considers this an active situation they may dispatch a unit, eventually. We all are fully aware of how LE agency's all over the country's resources are strained already.

Also, you make yet another terrible mistake in argumentative debate when you assume that your opponent is or isn't proficient at anything. Try to keep your ego in check. You are trying too hard.

You are very far from reality. You believe that my suggestion to notify law enforcement of a current situation is underestimating an opponent and stroking my ego? That’s comical and shows disconnected you truly are.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    They can take the stuff if it comes down to it as fas as I’m concerned.
    My duty is to myself (stay alive and well) and to my family.
    One life has a profound effect on many other lives.
    I can always get another Maglite, bag of stale pork rinds, ~$2 in spare change, fleshlight (don’t judge) and spare mag for my pistol.
    Hell, they can take the dog too; never did like my wife’s shepherd anyway.
    But I cannot replace me.
    And you cannot replace you either.
    So be selfish and think of the long game versus having your pride crushed by a douchebag thief.
    You’re worth it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You are very far from reality. You believe that my suggestion to notify law enforcement of a current situation is underestimating an opponent and stroking my ego? That’s comical and shows disconnected you truly are.

Incorrect! Again!

Injecting a backhanded comment towards a person you are replying to in an otherwise seemingly valid suggestion condemns your argument to insignificance. What I am suggesting is, stay on point without trying to inflict a personal attack. You do that a lot. It doesn't make you appear smarter than others here, it makes others take you less serious! Sadly, you do have some useful knowledge if you apply yourself. ;)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Incorrect! Again!

Injecting a backhanded comment towards a person you are replying to in an otherwise seemingly valid suggestion condemns your argument to insignificance. What I am suggesting is, stay on point without trying to inflict a personal attack. You do that a lot. It doesn't make you appear smarter than others here, it makes others take you less serious! Sadly, you do have some useful knowledge if you apply yourself. ;)

This is Bayoushooter. You expect too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea. "They" say your vehicle is an extension of your home. :D

So long as you have a CWHP license, it is.

Top Bottom