Anyone else has gotten there NICS background check Delayed?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It happen to me today..first time in 4 years that I have gotten delayed...it sucks,I was really hoping to take my gun home today..
    I didn't get delayed last week or 3 weeks ago so I'm coughing this one up because of all the panic buy that's going on..
    Anyone else has gotten delayed in the past week ?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Lots of threads around the web about it actually going down. Several reports of it being an instant hangup then some about a 40 min wait time..
    I chalk it up to panic.. I am not anyone to listen to however..lol

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Lots of threads around the web about it actually going down. Several reports of it being an instant hangup then some about a 40 min wait time..
    I chalk it up to panic.. I am not anyone to listen to however..lol
    It's all good I'm also just chalking it up to the panic buy rush..
    But isn't there a rule or something that if the FFL doesn't hear back from the NICS people then he can release the gun to me?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Years back it happened on Black Friday there was just to many.
    They had a ton of holds right after mine went threw.
    I was lucky.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    It's all good I'm also just chalking it up to the panic buy rush..
    But isn't there a rule or something that if the FFL doesn't hear back from the NICS people then he can release the gun to me?

NICS has 3 days to provide a response, then the FFL can proceed with the transfer. Some FFLs wait longer.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    NICS has 3 days to provide a response, then the FFL can proceed with the transfer. Some FFLs wait longer.

The FFL may proceed if he so wishes. Not a rule that they must proceed. In my experience, most small FFLs and LGS do, but not the big box stores (Bass Pro, Cabellas, Academy). Most will not proceed without an approval. Get your CHP and no more NICS.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Get your 5 YEAR CHP and no more NICS. Lifetime CHPs still have to go thru NICS check.

Still have to go thru NICS also if you buy a long gun in person out of state. I've found some nice deals while traveling and went thru NICS, fortunately never been delayed.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had another question while talking to some other people today who also had to experience in getting delayed..
    All of them said that after a few days they got proceeded...now usually people who get delayed almost always never the results come back as denied...the people who I talked to that got denied, filled out the fourm and we're denied on the spot. for instance they didn't get delayed and then after a few days later there results came back in as denied..

IDK I guess I'm over thinking things now but what I do know is I have a $2300 gun sitting at an FFL and the website that I brought the sig rattler from does not accept returns..it's crappy feeling because my record is as clean as can be and I've never been delayed except for a while back but I was able to pick the gun up a few days later.

I'm kicking myself in the arse for not using my usual FFL that I've always used with no issues and instead went thru another FFL that I've never done business with.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Still have to go thru NICS also if you buy a long gun in person out of state. I've found some nice deals while traveling and went thru NICS, fortunately never been delayed.
    Your saying you still have to go thru NICs if you're buying a gun in person from another state But if you buy a gun from an online store that's out of state and have them ship it to your FFL in your state,You do not have to go thru the NICS check?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Yes, because the out-of-state FFL cannot use your LA CHL to comply with their state laws. Reciprocity works for concealed carry, but not for NICS checks.

I could be wrong, since I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in years.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Your saying you still have to go thru NICs if you're buying a gun in person from another state But if you buy a gun from an online store that's out of state and have them ship it to your FFL in your state,You do not have to go thru the NICS check?

That sounds about right. Alternatively if you are out of state you can see if the out of state FFL is willing to ship it back to you home FFL. That way the gun is transferred in your state, and you can bypass the check. Its almost like buying online, but you get to inspect the merch first.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Hey guys update the FFL I went thru let me get my sig rattler yesterday(Saturday)...I didn't get proceeded because the NICS system was down but he's allowed to let me have it after 3 days...
    da931efd706938bd0e9811eae30fd364.jpg

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm done buying guns this year..I'm just going to get optics and a suppressor from Gretna gun works and THATS IT..I spent way too much money just this year.. but it's all the guns I've been wanting to get for the pass couple of years and now I finally got them and I'm done for now.
    b13ff40551a872a514260b17ec577215.jpg

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I got some customer receivers Friday and had no issue with the NICS check, I had been waiting on them much longer than this virus thing has been going on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom