Current Situation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Is there anything in place barring people from accessing WMA land during whats going on right now with the quarantine?

It may not be squirrel season, but its always hog season.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No. It’s not always hog season on WMA’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct sir.

Oh? It isnt?

The Louisiana WMAs are only open for hunting during actually open seasons. I actually found this out the easy way years back. I was asking about what weapon would be legal when no season was open. It was explained to me that they didn’t want you in the woods during times were there wasn’t a season to more or less give the animals a break and that there was no legal weapon because there wasn’t an open season.

Best call ahead,Tickets are expensive !

Yep

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    According to the LDWF website, you can hunt Feral Hogs year round during legal daylight hours, including WMA's. It is also on page 49 of the 2019-2020 hunting regulations booklet. I am not sure where you got that information from. According to publicly available knowledge, and my local LDWF agent, hunting hogs year round during legal daylight hours on WMA's is fair dinkum.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/feral-hogs

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    According to the LDWF website, you can hunt Feral Hogs year round during legal daylight hours, including WMA's. It is also on page 49 of the 2019-2020 hunting regulations booklet. I am not sure where you got that information from. According to publicly available knowledge, and my local LDWF agent, hunting hogs year round during legal daylight hours on WMA's is fair dinkum.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/feral-hogs

I got my information from a biologist that worked at Yancey.

Now this was 2017. Things may have changed but they explained it to me that on public land if there’s an open season you can use that season’s weapons but hogs weren’t a game animal and had no season. On private land your options open up drastically because you have the right to protect your property or property you have been given permission to ‘protect’.

It all seems counterintuitive considering the problems hogs create but a WMA is a Wildlife Management Area and there primary goal is to help maintain wildlife populations, and as the biologist told me certain times of the year are crucial for wildlife reproduction and staying out of their bedroom during those times is good for them.

My views on game management began to shift after that conversation. I went into it disappointed because someone told me no and was irritated I couldn’t hunt property my tax dollars helped fund but when you consider the need keep the population numbers of games species up so that our grandchildren’s grandchildren can enjoy these animals it becomes easier to swallow.

Last edited:

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    I stand corrected, after further reading, It seems that every WMA handles their hog hunting differently, and that only a few have seasons outside of regular Hunting season. It is laid out in the regs booklet for each WMA. Apologies for spreading bad information, on the WLF page it says "where Legal" which is strictly lain out in the regs booklet for feral hogs. Stick to private land for year round hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom