your thoughts on a Taurus judge for .45lc only.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    the judge is not rifled

K

14519d1315927904-gouged-rifling-brand-new-605-gouged-barrel-2.1.jpg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Going from memory here, but just enough rifling to not be considered a smooth bore? Maybe? Definitely enough rifling though to screw up any decent pattern from .410 past 5 yards.

I own 2. They are the absolute cat's ass for popping heads off of nuisance snakes around the chicken coop with bird shot (within 5 yards). Because of the weight, they are not uncomfortable to shoot any variety of .410. They can also fire 45LC but not very accurately. Again, going off of memory but the rifling isn't very significant and the jump through that long .410 chamber into the bbl isn't great for stabilization.

Great for snakes around the farm, almost useless for much else. Fun as hell to shoot though.......

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I've got a Judge Public Defender, the small one, 5 shot, 2 1/2" chamber. I also have a Blackhawk in 45 with 7.5" barrel. The Judge is great for snakes with #4 shot or buckshot. I do shoot 45LC out of it too. I haven't shot it at the range for accuracy, but it works ok for general plinking. If you are wanting something to plink with and can get one at a good price, go for it. I'm sure it won't have the accuracy of a Blackhawk, but it's fine for what it is. I wouldn't shoot the high-pressure "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads out of the Judge. I save those for my Blackhawk.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a Blackhawk in 45Colt and 45acp so I can only speak of it. It is one fine gun.
    Have been told the Judge does not shoot accurate as it is trying to do 2 jobs and is ok for snakes.
    With "Starline Cases" 45 Colt Can be loaded to 44 Mag spec. But only for use in TC and Ruger.
    I am thinking A S&W 44 Mag. would suit your needs better to Hunt with, As it can be used full tilt and shot with low power loads as well.
    The S&W 29 I have is quite accurate and is a joy to shoot with lower power loads and has a great trigger when used as a Single Action
    Shooting with 215 Grain Cast - Gas Checked loads are very fun and "On Target"

coker-bee

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2020
    New Orleans
    At present, Taurus is offering six models of .45 Colt/.410 bore shotshell combination revolvers, if you count different finishes (blue or stainless) as separate models as Taurus does. Note that these are not "convertible" revolvers supplied with two cylinders; these Taurus revolvers fire both .45 Colt cartridges and .410 shotshells from the same cylinder.

The variations include "Tracker" models with 6" barrels in blue and stainless steel, similar models with 3" barrels in blue or stainless steel and an "ultra-light" version (at 22 ounces empty, not really) with a 3" barrel built on an aluminum alloy frame. These five models are all chambered for 2-1/2", .410 shotshells.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    At present, Taurus is offering six models of .45 Colt/.410 bore shotshell combination revolvers, if you count different finishes (blue or stainless) as separate models as Taurus does. Note that these are not "convertible" revolvers supplied with two cylinders; these Taurus revolvers fire both .45 Colt cartridges and .410 shotshells from the same cylinder.

The variations include "Tracker" models with 6" barrels in blue and stainless steel, similar models with 3" barrels in blue or stainless steel and an "ultra-light" version (at 22 ounces empty, not really) with a 3" barrel built on an aluminum alloy frame. These five models are all chambered for 2-1/2", .410 shotshells.

Well, thanks for cutting and pasting verbatim an excerpt from chuck hawks that has nothing to do with this discussion.
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/taurus_judge.htm

Are you a spammer?

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I have a Blackhawk in 45Colt and 45acp so I can only speak of it. It is one fine gun.
    Have been told the Judge does not shoot accurate as it is trying to do 2 jobs and is ok for snakes.
    With "Starline Cases" 45 Colt Can be loaded to 44 Mag spec. But only for use in TC and Ruger.
    I am thinking A S&W 44 Mag. would suit your needs better to Hunt with, As it can be used full tilt and shot with low power loads as well.
    The S&W 29 I have is quite accurate and is a joy to shoot with lower power loads and has a great trigger when used as a Single Action
    Shooting with 215 Grain Cast - Gas Checked loads are very fun and "On Target"

I loved my blackhawk In. .44mag. had Vince(pre rj days) cut and crown the barrel and mount a scope rail on it for a red dot. My wrists couldn't handle the recoil any more, so I ended up selling it off.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Due to taurus' current very slow customer service, no. I only look at customer service since any firearm can be bad out the box. But if you are OK with a long wait to get a fireaem fixed from them, go for it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I did shoot one once and wasn't impressed with the accuracy at 15 yards.

Buy the Ruger...

OR... if you don't plan on mounting a scope, have you looked at some of the cowboy action shooting guns? Cimmaron, Uberti, etc?

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I did shoot one once and wasn't impressed with the accuracy at 15 yards.

Buy the Ruger...

OR... if you don't plan on mounting a scope, have you looked at some of the cowboy action shooting guns? Cimmaron, Uberti, etc?

id prefer a DA.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    While I don't have a judge, I have fired a couple and I like them. The world knows 410 field loads suck at any useful range but thats not what you want it for. Since you're reloading you have a better than average chance to get decent accuracy at the ranges you mentioned. Size the bullets to fit and you should be satisfied with the results. I cast my own and can play with weight and velocity to find what works. I've seen people powder coat lead bullets to increase diameter and reduce leading. It just depends how deep into it you want to go. I've read arguments about the 45 colt bouncing thru the long cylinder and ruining accuracy. I dont know that there's much to that but you can minimize that with the 2 1/2" cylinder over the 3". It should be a pretty fun experiment to find a good load that shoots to the sights. If you go thru with it be sure to update with the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom