Cleaner for polymer gun frames

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Which cleaners do you use for polymer frames and trigger assemblies? I use Barnes CR-10 on my barrel bores but don't want to use it on the polymer frames.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t currently own but one polymer frames pistol. But I use Ballistol for all my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I will pass on watering my pistols.

Water on a stripped polymer frame isn’t hurting anything. It’s quite easy to rinse them out and dry them.

I have Lucas Contact Cleaner if I need to quickly clean something. Also have Ballistol, Lucas CLP, Lucas Degreaser, Gunscrubber, and Aerokroil. I would only use the Contact Cleaner and Ballistol on polymer.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Water on a stripped polymer frame isn’t hurting anything. It’s quite easy to rinse them out and dry them.

I have Lucas Contact Cleaner if I need to quickly clean something. Also have Ballistol, Lucas CLP, Lucas Degreaser, Gunscrubber, and Aerokroil. I would only use the Contact Cleaner and Ballistol on polymer.

True but some water the entire firearm and Weapon Shield is much better than water for cleaning any part of a firearm.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    True but some water the entire firearm and Weapon Shield is much better than water for cleaning any part of a firearm.

Some people also do meth. I never said anything about people misusing certain things :rofl:

I know people that would put a whole Glock in the dishwasher. They will win a Darwin award one day.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Some people also do meth. I never said anything about people misusing certain things :rofl:

I know people that would put a whole Glock in the dishwasher. They will win a Darwin award one day.

True.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Well I don't plan on putting my guns in the dishwasher or taking then in the shower with me to clean them. I have used Hornedy's One Shot cleaner but it dries so quick you don't have time to do any scrubbing to get the gunk out. I haven't had any luck finding source for Ballistol in the Baton Rouge area, any ideas? I have looked for Gun Srubber and every place is out of stock.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I don't run guns hard and have been using the Hornady one-shot cleaner/lube. Your are right about the fast dry, at least the liquid part, the film it leave behind takes a little longer to dry. I use Hoppes for the barrel, then I scrub the other carbon surfaces with a brush, then I hose it down with the one-shot. After about 1-5 minutes I wipe any excess off and then I'm done. I so far like the corrosion resistance it affords, as well as when I just handle the items, I only have to pass a cloth over the areas I have touched and can feel the film still there protecting.
    I have not seen any lubrication problems after shooting, it seems to dry lube just fine. They recommend to only use the one-shot on a continuing basis, saying it best serves to keep the lube where it should be. So far after about 2 years using it, I see it working as advertised.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Funny how products that people use to clean items made out of the same materials guns are made out of feel "special" products only labeled for guns should be the only products used on guns.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Funny how products that people use to clean items made out of the same materials guns are made out of feel "special" products only labeled for guns should be the only products used on guns.

I don’t have much carbon buildup in my bathroom or kitchen.

Top Bottom