Cleaner for polymer gun frames

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I don’t have much carbon buildup in my bathroom or kitchen.

What I use removes carbon better than anything else I have tried, I use what works even if it isn't politically correct. I use it on my on my AR bolt and carrier, no scrapping required. I do not use it on anything aluminum. It also works to remove carbon from spark plugs.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What I use removes carbon better than anything else I have tried, I use what works even if it isn't politically correct. I use it on my on my AR bolt and carrier, no scrapping required. I do not use it on anything aluminum. It also works to remove carbon from spark plugs.

Liquid Wrench?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hahahaha, good point.

If I get a really cruddy used gun I take it completely apart and wash the plastic parts with warm water and some sort of dish soap or degreaser. Then dry completely and reassemble.

I usually dont do much more than wipe out the frame areas on a poly gun if I am not detail stripping it. Use a Qtip and a paper towel and maybe compressed air.

I am fond of simple green, it is a great product and I have used it on many surfaces. It is the only thing I found that would remove gun oil and grease before media blasting.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    For my polymer pistols I use an industrial degreaser mixed with very hot water. I dip the pistols upside down remove and nylon brush any debris out of the action and mag well areas and then dip and repeat. Then air dry or blow dry with a low temp heat gun and oil the pins and metal surfaces. I use bio CLP and Froglube applies with heat so the detergent really only removes the powder and carbon residue leaving an unseen residue on the metal surfaces. For the areas with small springs I blow the water out and add a drop of conventional oil. It goes quick. BTW: they are detailed stripped. The barrel goes in the sauce, and the slide, and recoil spring assemblies separately.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hahahaha, good point.

If I get a really cruddy used gun I take it completely apart and wash the plastic parts with warm water and some sort of dish soap or degreaser. Then dry completely and reassemble.

I usually dont do much more than wipe out the frame areas on a poly gun if I am not detail stripping it. Use a Qtip and a paper towel and maybe compressed air.

I am fond of simple green, it is a great product and I have used it on many surfaces. It is the only thing I found that would remove gun oil and grease before media blasting.

Just be wary, Simple Green will eat aluminum. If you want to clean aluminum with Simple Green, there is an aircraft/aviation formula safe for aluminum.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ive washed a lot of grip modules from sig P320 with just a toothbrush,dish soap and water. I also clean g10 and micarta knife scales the same way. I’ve been known to take a muddy rifle and throw it in hot soapy water as well. Just remember the hotter the water the better it will dry in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Just be wary, Simple Green will eat aluminum. If you want to clean aluminum with Simple Green, there is an aircraft/aviation formula safe for aluminum.

When you mix with hot water it won’t eat an AR. Used it many times with no damage. The milspec coating handles it. I stopped using it due to cost. I now use harbor freights best degreaser. It’s cheaper and seems to be more concentrated with more degreasing ability. I still prefer Simple Green for direct spray on degreasing of plastic. But hot soaks nope.

I find it funny that some folks are trash talking hot water and soap/detergent use on guns. We used hot soap on guns for hundreds of years on metals that rust very easily with great success. It’s cheap, effective, and readily available. You boil water, add soap or degreaser and bath it and scrub gently. Rinse and repeat. Hot water dries fast. And an application of oil prevents surface rust. Short, simple, done.

My modern polymer pistols and my older metal pistols do not rust. One of the leading causes of rust of cross contamination. By removing contamination you prevent this and a oil or rust preventative keeps it healthy and prevents rusts. Most of the pistols are stainless are coated well anyway.

You can’t leave non stainless wet and not dry the parts or you will get rust. That’s just being lazy.

I’m all for one and done products for on the go, but what happens when you run out and there’s a product shortage? You end up with a generation of gomers who think hot water and soap is going to destroy their Glocks.. :mamoru:

Top Bottom