Garbage NYT Article Written by One of “Us”

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/...ulture-and-i-fear-for-what-it-has-become.html

Basically a guy in NC who states he owns and keeps guns for self defense and hunting. He starts off by explaining how he is so involved with gun culture, but then proceeds to explain how the gun culture is shifting and “devolving”. Ends up stating that “assault weapons” only belong on battlefields and that the only thing driving this shift in “his culture” is fear.

One thing that was painfully obvious was how the author makes light of of gun owners “fear” of a tyrannical government. Irony is that the 2A clearly states the purpose of our God given right, and it ain’t just about hunting and conceal carry.

This is the argument that the left pushes and it is gun owners like this author that give them fodder. The author spins a “holier-than-thou” narrative about how noble “his culture” is, and how perverted and fearful many of us are making it with our “assault weapons”.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/...ulture-and-i-fear-for-what-it-has-become.html

Basically a guy in NC who states he owns and keeps guns for self defense and hunting. He starts off by explaining how he is so involved with gun culture, but then proceeds to explain how the gun culture is shifting and *devolving*. Ends up stating that *assault weapons* only belong on battlefields and that the only thing driving this shift in *his culture* is fear.

One thing that was painfully obvious was how the author makes light of of gun owners *fear* of a tyrannical government. Irony is that the 2A clearly states the purpose of our God given right, and it ain’t just about hunting and conceal carry.

This is the argument that the left pushes and it is gun owners like this author that give them fodder. The author spins a *holier-than-thou* narrative about how noble *his culture* is, and how perverted and fearful many of us are making it with our *assault weapons*.

Written for the NYT by a guy who lives in NY. Enough said there.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The guy is a fudd, however, I agree that assault weapons belong on the battlefield. I know lots of people with AR-10s, AR-15s, AK-74s, etc. None of these have ever been used by the military in battle, and they are not "assault" weapons. Just because some dumb politician made up a definition that says guns with certain "scary features" are "assault" weapons, doesn't make it so.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    First off; the NYT is an echo chamber for naive and ignorant leftists that believe they are superior to just about anyone between California and the East Coast.

Secondly; This sounds like a completely made up story. Here is why I believe that! If you are as comfortable and knowledgeable around firearms as this guy tries (a little too hard), to portray himself and you use the phrase "assault rifle" to describe ANY over the counter civilian owned firearm, you should be discounted as a credible firearms enthusiast; and thus, a credible source of firearms remorse.

I have maintained on many occasions in private, in public, and on here; OTC civilian firearms do not fit the description of an "assault weapon" as defined by the US military. After all, the US military is the preeminent authority, right?

To that end, if any one on here is erroneously classifying OTCC rifles as "assualt" weapons, you are ignorant as the guy in the story; and the phony leftists that continue to push that narrative. Please stop!

Here, yet again is the definition of an "Assault" weapon from the US Military:

In response to a FOIA request, U.S. Armyexperts at Picatinny Arsenal were kind enough to categorically state that semi-automatic rifles are not *assaultrifles*. A copy of the response follows.

*It is hoped that everyone appreciates thesuperior expertise of the Army in the field of firearms and will, accordingly, deferhereto and avoid misleading terminology in the future.*
    Part of the memorandum received from the Army’s Trifilettistated:
    SUBJECT: Freedom of Information Jay H.Greenblatt & Associates
    *Assault Rifle*.

1. This office researched the definition of the term *assaultrifle* by identifying and locating official Departmentof Defense (DOD) and Department of Army (DA) publications on ordinance technical terminology, DOD/DA technical small arms publications ordefinitions of military terms.

2. The definition of an *assaultrifle* is *Assault rifles* are short, compact,select-fire (i.e. both semi-automatic and full-automatic) weapons that fire acartridge intermediate in power between sub-machinegunand rifle cartridges. Selective fire is defined as aweapon, which at the user’s selection, can fire semi-automatic orfull-automatic fire. Semi-automatic is defined as a weapon designed to fireeach time the trigger is pulled. Full automatic isdefined as a weapon which will fire continuously as long as the trigger ispulled.

3. The origin of the term *assaultrifle* comes from the German word *sturmgewehr* afterthe Sturmgewehr 44 German Army rifle from the SecondWorld War. The rifle was a compact,
    selective fire weapon in an intermediate caliber cartridge.Since 1944, military firearms that fit this generaldescription and general design have sometimes beenlabeled as an *assault rifle. Some civilian versions ofmilitary look-alike rifle have been erroneously labeledas *assault rifles* because they generally fit thedescription, however, since the civilian rifles havebeen modified internally to eliminate the selective fire capability, they are not*assault rifles*.
    The United States Army does not designate any of itsinfantry small arms with the term *assault rifle*.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ends up stating that *assault weapons* only belong on battlefields

We can stop right there. He's a fraud. :thumbsdown:

Save me some time. Did he say anything about "common-sense legislation" or "gun safety groups", too? :rofl:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I forgot about the part where he basically said it should be illegal for private transfer of firearms without a background check because *it just didn’t feel right* (paraphrasing) during his most recent private sale.

He is a hack and a mouth piece of the gun control movement and they will use him (and others like him) as the *model gun owning citizen* as they cast the rest of us as *gun nuts* and *conspiracy theorists* for our beliefs in firearms rights and ownership.

Just because you have a friend or family member that owns guns, does not mean they have your back when it comes to the 2A. It is important to have conversations with anyone who could be considered on the fence about AR, AK, etc ownership in order to try to educate and inform them.

Like the bump stock ban, many firearm owners do not have many or any firearms that would fall under the *assault weapons*. And like the bump stock ban, when the .gov comes for those firearms they will believe *I don’t have/need one... that is just silly/unnecessary... why would anyone need one of THOSE?...*. Letting those owners know that banning that arbitrary classification of firearms is just one more stepping stone before banning all semi autos, then handguns, then bolt actions, etc... and they aren’t coming for *your guns* but they will be eventually.

Stay united in the fight for our rights.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    That article sounds 100% made up. Too many things don't match the norm of most people. I call bull-shite!

CaVbRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    I live in North Carolina for now. The most common out of state plates on the roads are New York and New Jersey and they say they are escaping high taxes and government regulations but still try to bring their politics with them. Cary is a city in the Raleigh Durham metro area but is also referred to as the Containment Area for Rich Yankees. Just because he lives in North Carolina doesn't mean he's from North Carolina.

CaVbRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Something NC also requires is a Pistol Purchase Permit issued by the county sheriff to buy any handgun (even for private sales) You are exempt from this requirement if you have a CHP/LTC. PPP's are remnants of segregation policies.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Something NC also requires is a Pistol Purchase Permit issued by the county sheriff to buy any handgun (even for private sales) You are exempt from this requirement if you have a CHP/LTC. PPP's are remnants of segregation policies.

Wow. Whole other world up there.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't see the point of arguing his credentials or even if the story is true or not.

I'm a supporter of the 2A and think I should be able to own even fully automatic weapons. I think he is wrong headed about the need or even the legitimacy of even owning an AR rifle. I don't think it's something he will even consider.

I however, do have concerns about gun culture. Unfortunately, among us there are people who are complete jerks to others who are not like them..... race, religion, sex, politics, wealth, status, etc. Many are vocal about it. There's also plenty that have poor muzzle discipline or do other inconsiderate things with a firearm and not a care in the world. Many who don't care who they sell a gun to or buy one from.

Those people are the cracks in our foundation.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you should read the comments. I don't think I saw one that was pro gun.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Nope. We don’t *need* assault weapons. Course, nobody *needs* more than one set of bedsheets, or a vehicle with more seats than members of their household, or pets, or a house with more land than occupied by the structure or more than half as many bedrooms as members of the household ...

Oh, wait. I forgot... life, liberty, pursuit of happiness. Nobody *needs* anything but to poop, breathe, and die. But a bunch of other stuff makes life MUCH more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom